Archived cashier problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
omg. I probably went up for backup for 2 hours in a 5 hour shift today. It's out of control.

Side note- does anyone ever have dyslexic moments at the check lanes?. Like when you tell the guest the total you accidentally mix up a couple of the numbers? It's been happening to me a lot latey.

Not a problem unless they're writing a check & they write in the amt you garbled.
And it was their last check.
And no, they don't want a debit card.

Today.:p
A lady has 3 items to purchase. She has her 4 yr old son with her. I quickly scan the items and while I still have them in my hands getting ready to bag them her son pushes his PushPop that he's decided to get at me and says loudly,"STUPID!":eek:o_O:D

Today.:p
A lady has 3 items to purchase. She has her 4 yr old son with her. I quickly scan the items and while I still have them in my hands getting ready to bag them her son pushes his PushPop that he's decided to get at me and says loudly,"STUPID!":eek:o_O:D
He's heard that enough times from SOMEONE at home.

I was quietly laughing to myself because this says so much more about the parent than the child. And I feel sorry for him,too.

omg. I probably went up for backup for 2 hours in a 5 hour shift today. It's out of control.

Side note- does anyone ever have dyslexic moments at the check lanes?. Like when you tell the guest the total you accidentally mix up a couple of the numbers? It's been happening to me a lot latey.

Yeah, this has been happening to me lately. But that's because I work a full-time job during the day and then go into Target to work 4 or 5 more hours at night. By then, my brain is fried and just doesn't want to cooperate.

Yeah, this has been happening to me lately. But that's because I work a full-time job during the day and then go into Target to work 4 or 5 more hours at night. By then, my brain is fried and just doesn't want to cooperate.
And, and if the total for something is like $9.19 and you accidentally say $1.99 and you correct yourself, the guest would jokingly say "I'll take it for that first price". It grinds my gears.

Cashier problem (although more of a specific personal problem than general cashier): guests who believe me to be a female from behind when I'm stooped down zoning or have my back turned (I have long hair, and I have a small and very slim build) as if long hair automatically means female. Or worse, when guests have children who will ask me to my face if I'm a boy or girl and don't bother to apologize on their behalf or say anything...they just get the death glare and silent treatment in hopes that they "get it". Kids are kids but come on.

Cashier problem (although more of a specific personal problem than general cashier): guests who believe me to be a female from behind when I'm stooped down zoning or have my back turned (I have long hair, and I have a small and very slim build) as if long hair automatically means female. Or worse, when guests have children who will ask me to my face if I'm a boy or girl and don't bother to apologize on their behalf or say anything...they just get the death glare and silent treatment in hopes that they "get it". Kids are kids but come on.

That's just part of being a dude with long hair. I don't know if you can really fault them? Happened to me all the time before I transitioned to a square with short hair.

I don't really have dyslexic moments, but our registers are sometimes so damn slow, I'll tell the guest the total before it's actually done computing it.

Kind of related to the hours being cut since sales is slow, but usually between 2:00 PM-4:00 PM, there will be a couple of rushes during which there will be long lines and frustrated guests who want to check out and go home. Yesterday was the worst though. For about 15 minutes, every other cashier was on break and no one else was backing up, leaving me as the only cashier. There was a line of about 5 or 6 guests and I could hear one of the guests talking to the Self-Checkout team member, asking why there was only one register open.
The guests couldn't even go to self-checkout since there was a pretty long line there as well.
Vibe can only go so far if guests encounter these kinds of situations and decide that they would rather shop elsewhere because of the long lines.

..... Or worse, when guests have children who will ask me to my face if I'm a boy or girl and don't bother to apologize on their behalf or say anything...they just get the death glare and silent treatment in hopes that they "get it". Kids are kids but come on.

I can see only two possible answers for this:

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle."
or
"Neither, I am a unicorn."

Kind of related to the hours being cut since sales is slow, but usually between 2:00 PM-4:00 PM, there will be a couple of rushes during which there will be long lines and frustrated guests who want to check out and go home. Yesterday was the worst though. For about 15 minutes, every other cashier was on break and no one else was backing up, leaving me as the only cashier. There was a line of about 5 or 6 guests and I could hear one of the guests talking to the Self-Checkout team member, asking why there was only one register open.
The guests couldn't even go to self-checkout since there was a pretty long line there as well.
Vibe can only go so far if guests encounter these kinds of situations and decide that they would rather shop elsewhere because of the long lines.

Sounds like a your problem store. I always stagger our cashier's start times so that no two people are at break at the same time.

Sounds like a your problem store. I always stagger our cashier's start times so that no two people are at break at the same time.

Also, not scheduling breaks back-to-back during the busiest times. One person gets stuck on their register a couple extra minutes or takes longer getting back from break and it’s all fucked up. When I’m covering the front, I tell the guy with the 2:30 break to wait until the girl with the 2:15 break comes back to relieve him (which might not be until 20-30 min later). They all end up backed up waiting to take breaks, but I don’t make the break schedule...so as long as they’re not going into compliance, the GSA who made the stupid break schedule can deal with it!

Lots of good points here. It sucks going from having enough scheduled cashiers to have all lanes open, someone on SCO, and 2 or 3 at GS, to having only 2 lanes open, one at GS, and myself keeping an eye on SCO.

I hate having to call for guest first, because I know the other TM's on the sales floor have plenty to do without stopping to come up front to run a register for who knows how long. I always try to convince people to come to SCO if there are any open, and send guests to GS if they have 10 items or less before I call for back up.

This issue is 100% MY FAULT.

There was a lady wanting to take advantage of the 20% off clearance clothing on Cartwheel but she didn't bring her phone in. I said "Oh, I can do it for you!" and I scanned my cartwheel, forgetting my redcard and TM discount was on there.

Of course, you can't void it. So I quickly got my GSTL's attention and basically boiled down to it gets paid onto my card, but he voided it and then the guest paid for it after voiding my payment.

yup, that happened, I'm stupid. Not exactly breaking news or brand new news but god damn that was the worst thing I could have done.. I'm out $200 for the next week or so.

There was a lady wanting to take advantage of the 20% off clearance clothing on Cartwheel but she didn't bring her phone in. I said "Oh, I can do it for you!" and I scanned my cartwheel, forgetting my redcard and TM discount was on there.

Of course, you can't void it. So I quickly got my GSTL's attention and basically boiled down to it gets paid onto my card, but he voided it and then the guest paid for it after voiding my payment.

yup, that happened, I'm stupid. Not exactly breaking news or brand new news but god damn that was the worst thing I could have done.. I'm out $200 for the next week or so.
Why are you out the $200 if it was voided?

Why are you out the $200 if it was voided?

It still shows up on my bank card for a few days and then goes away in 5-6 days. I see on my redcard account it has -178.64 and then right above that just a 178.64 so I assume that means it's been successfully voided out.

At least that's how my GSTL explained it to me briefly.

You know you can just void the payment and the TM discount lines individually right? I used my cartwheel once for a guest (I usually never do but she was super cool after my store pretty much fucked her over about holding an item - long story) and I just voided those lines and it still took the cartwheel

The app linking cartwheel, coupons, TM discounts, and payments all at once is awesome! But it’s also mildly terrifying. Can’t just click pay absentmindedly anymore.

Now it’s “guest, this transaction will be charged to your redcard, is that okay?”
Then either “what’s a red card?”
Or “but wait I have 7 gift cards!!”
Or “I don’t have that card with me (that’s fine), so how are you charging me for a card that isnt even here??”

I’m not the one who literally had to type in the card number to link it. And (unfortunately!)I don’t make the rules....

It still shows up on my bank card for a few days and then goes away in 5-6 days. I see on my redcard account it has -178.64 and then right above that just a 178.64 so I assume that means it's been successfully voided out.

At least that's how my GSTL explained it to me briefly.
Yes, it’s been voided out.

Not actually my problem, but was in line waiting to check out and it happened in front of me:

Guest: these are all on sale (has a bunch of towels)
TM: they aren’t ringing up on sale
Guest: well, the sign said they were
TM: did the sign say how much they were?
Guest: no, it just said “sale”
*TM flips on her light*
*GSTL comes over*
TM: the guest said these are all on sale
GSTL (To guest): what did the sign say?
Guest: Sale
GSTL: where was the sign?
Guest: around the corner, but these are just like what was under the sign
GSTL: well, they may *look* the same, but only the ones UNDER the sign are actually on sale and they
Guest: they’re ALL towels, though and the sign said “clearance” (I thought it said “sale,” now it said “clearance???”o_O)
GSTL: well, if the sign said “clearance,” they’d be marked as such
Guest: but they’re all towels....
GSTL: I understand that, but not ALL towels are on clearance, only the ones actually MARKED as clearance are on sale
Guest: so you won’t give them to me on sale?
GSTL: Sorry, I cant because these aren’t on sale
Guest: well, then I don’t want any of this! That’s false advertising! You people SUCK!

Guest not only had about 20 towels, but a cartful of grocery items as well :rolleyes:

One of my TMs apparently did that for someone yesterday, despite the fact that I’ve told her MULTIPLE TIMES NOT to use her own cartwheel for guest’s purchases. :mad:

One of my TMs apparently did that for someone yesterday, despite the fact that I’ve told her MULTIPLE TIMES NOT to use her own cartwheel for guest’s purchases. :mad:
I tried asking a GSTL or GSA at my store if I should use Cartwheel on my phone for a guest, and they said that there was no issue for that. I guess this issue depends on the store.

I tried asking a GSTL or GSA at my store if I should use Cartwheel on my phone for a guest, and they said that there was no issue for that. I guess this issue depends on the store.

Ummm no. You are never allowed to use your personal cartwheel code for a guest. I am pretty sure this is company wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back