Archived cashier problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't heard of a company directive saying TMs are not allowed to use their personal Cartwheel to help a guest. That being said I do tell the TMs that Cartwheel will max out so if they're going to use if for a guest, be prepared if it won't let you use the same coupons when you buy your own things. I'm not overriding it, I'm not discounting it, nada. Lastly, now that TM discounts are tied into Cartwheel you'd better make sure it's turned off if you're using it for a guest. If AP catches you giving a guest your discount they will look to term you.

I don't buy a lot at Target and I haven't even put my Team Member discount into my Cartwheel (I don't have a RedCard). I understand that there is a limit on how many times Cartwheel can be used in one day, but if the guest is strongly pushing the fact that bedding was 20% off, or there was a 30% discount on Champion clothing, I would rather use my Cartwheel than possibly use Missed Cartwheel and manually take the proper percentage off each corresponding item (if they have multiple items eligible for the Cartwheel discounts). I do understand that guests should be responsible for having their own Cartwheel discounts but some of my GSTLs won't back me up on not giving a discount without the guest having their own Cartwheel and will tell me to manually enter the discounts anyway.
I just want to clear that up and I will definitely follow up again with my store's leadership about using Cartwheel.

I tried asking a GSTL or GSA at my store if I should use Cartwheel on my phone for a guest, and they said that there was no issue for that. I guess this issue depends on the store.
Ummm no. You are never allowed to use your personal cartwheel code for a guest. I am pretty sure this is company wide.

official best practice is to never ever use your cartwheel for guests... especially now since your TM number is linked... if you use your TM number for a guest that's a termable offense. even if it's not linked... guest has to download target app. that's the whole point of it

official best practice is to never ever use your cartwheel for guests... especially now since your TM number is linked... if you use your TM number for a guest that's a termable offense. even if it's not linked... guest has to download target app. that's the whole point of it
Amanda, you are right, I forgot about the fact that my TM number/account is linked to my Cartwheel. From now on, I am going to be stricter about this with my guests and I won't let them use my Cartwheel again. I can't risk being termed since I have been talked to about taking counterfeit money and hitting compliance so I am going to be more strict and firm about this.

I don't buy a lot at Target and I haven't even put my Team Member discount into my Cartwheel (I don't have a RedCard). I understand that there is a limit on how many times Cartwheel can be used in one day, but if the guest is strongly pushing the fact that bedding was 20% off, or there was a 30% discount on Champion clothing, I would rather use my Cartwheel than possibly use Missed Cartwheel and manually take the proper percentage off each corresponding item (if they have multiple items eligible for the Cartwheel discounts). I do understand that guests should be responsible for having their own Cartwheel discounts but some of my GSTLs won't back me up on not giving a discount without the guest having their own Cartwheel and will tell me to manually enter the discounts anyway.
I just want to clear that up and I will definitely follow up again with my store's leadership about using Cartwheel.

Apparently this is another ASANTS thing. My GSTL has specifically told us not to ever use our own app, even before Wallet was a thing. The initial logic was the fact that you're limited to a certain number of items per transaction and a certain number of transactions per day, and that if I let Jane use my app, then John in line behind her will want it too, and pretty soon I've maxed my limit.

I generally do NOT manually apply the discounts. I use it as an opportunity to promote the app and the program, and suspend the transaction while the guest downloads the app. But if a guest is nice to me, they don't have a lot of items, and I don't have a line behind them, I'll use my phone to verify a discount and then manually over-ride with K1-discount-K3. And then I encourage them to fill out a survey or a feedback card.

You are absolutely right, however, my store won't back up a cashier that won't give a guest a CW discount if they don't have the app. They expect you to use your phone to make it right for the guest. I told one GSA I wouldn't use my phone unless Spot started paying part of my phone bill. So at my store cashiers are either using their own phone or giving the discount via the POS.

Amanda, you are right, I forgot about the fact that my TM number/account is linked to my Cartwheel. From now on, I am going to be stricter about this with my guests and I won't let them use my Cartwheel again. I can't risk being termed since I have been talked to about taking counterfeit money and hitting compliance so I am going to be more strict and firm about this.
Just show them how to download or say GS can help you. As much as I hate to say it, it’s what we’re here for.

You are absolutely right, however, my store won't back up a cashier that won't give a guest a CW discount if they don't have the app. They expect you to use your phone to make it right for the guest. I told one GSA I wouldn't use my phone unless Spot started paying part of my phone bill. So at my store cashiers are either using their own phone or giving the discount via the POS.
See above post

Just show them how to download or say GS can help you. As much as I hate to say it, it’s what we’re here for.

Sounds great for an adequately staffed store. My store has all of the cashiers keyed in as GS so that we can do price match, accept payments, etc. and not send guests to GS. Sending them over to SD isn't in line with how the STL and management want us to do things. They want us to use the POS, so that's what I am going to do.

I agree with what you've said. Just isn't an option for me and my TMs.

Sounds great for an adequately staffed store. My store has all of the cashiers keyed in as GS so that we can do price match, accept payments, etc. and not send guests to GS. Sending them over to SD isn't in line with how the STL and management want us to do things. They want us to use the POS, so that's what I am going to do.

I agree with what you've said. Just isn't an option for me and my TMs.
ring only can do all that too... nowadays being coded as GS is basically useless

Please be careful. Never allow your own TM number (your Cartwheel in Wallet is tied to your TM Number/Discount) to be linked to purchases made by someone who is not you or one of your dependents. That puts your job at risk.

Here is the info straight from the Team Member Handbook:
20180218_172101-1.jpg

Also, here is the info about termination:
20180218_173652-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
Best practice would be to use the cartwheel available on a Zebra if a guests cartwheel isn’t working. I’ve done it a few times back in electronics. Understand it wouldn’t necesarily work for cashiers but backup cashiers and electronics can use it.

Target has a phone policy that specifically says you DO NOT have to use your phone for a guest.

I use it only if zebra won't load. But I don't ever use my cartwheel for guests, nor do I let guests touch my phone

But the cashier's job is to check people out. If they don't have people in line waiting to check out, that's reasonable, but if there are lines, spending 5 minutes walking a guest through downloading the Target app, bringing up Cartwheel, scanning the item, bringing up the barcode, etc. just isn't feasible. Obviously if there are lines at GS that sucks for everyone, but there are usually people around GS--GSA/GSTL, SCO, OPU, sales floor, cart attendant, etc. that would be able to walk a guest through it without stopping the checklane dead for 5 minutes.

But the cashier's job is to check people out. If they don't have people in line waiting to check out, that's reasonable, but if there are lines, spending 5 minutes walking a guest through downloading the Target app, bringing up Cartwheel, scanning the item, bringing up the barcode, etc. just isn't feasible. Obviously if there are lines at GS that sucks for everyone, but there are usually people around GS--GSA/GSTL, SCO, OPU, sales floor, cart attendant, etc. that would be able to walk a guest through it without stopping the checklane dead for 5 minutes.

However, we are then shuttling a guest from check out to GS to set up CW. Hopefully GS can check them out, or if they need to go back to checkout, they are going to be ticked. My STL won't go for this as he has the expectation that guests not wait in line more than once (which is why we do price match, accept payments at the lanes).

I wish I knew the best way to handle this. My store is testing running with just 1 cashier until 1-2 pm on weekdays, and again to close on several days. So lines tend to get long from that alone, add in guest servicing for CW...and we are sunk.

After a certain point, it's really up to the guest to get the damn app. The signs are all very large and say "get it on cartwheel in the Target app." The concept of a discounts on certain products that are only for rewards card holders is pretty well established by now, so it's not like this is a totally new concept. Yeah, ideally the cashier (or someone) has time to help them do that, and if it's not busy they totally should, but I'd personally take the risk of angering the guest who can't read or follow directions than the 3 customers in line behind them that now have to wait an extra 5 minutes.

Make it right for the guest if they don't have the Target app! It's a great chance to talk the app up to them and all of it's features, and if they're using a REDcard it's also a great chance to plug Wallet. Let them know that you can adjust it for them this time in POS but they should consider downloading the app so they don't miss any discounts

Make it right for the guest if they don't have the Target app! It's a great chance to talk the app up to them and all of it's features, and if they're using a REDcard it's also a great chance to plug Wallet. Let them know that you can adjust it for them this time in POS but they should consider downloading the app so they don't miss any discounts
Then they just don’t download the app “last time you all just did it for me”

I also let them know that as they start using the app they are offered exclusives that aren’t offered to everyone. That way they are more likely to actually download the app. I love using cartwheel and am always promoting it to guests. Had one stop me today saying I had shown her stuff on cartwheel before and wanted to know where to find her exclusives that I had told her about.

It all depends on how your store is set up. Our GS is located away from everything and often only has one person at the counter.

While on the sales floor I heard a couple of times to not use our phones. Before the zebras made Target.com so easy to use I did use my phone for cartwheel demonstrations and tagging and no one said anything, so I'm thinking the statement was a CYA on Target's part. After all, if you are told to use your phone and it slips out of your grip and hits the floor and breaks, you could force them to replace your phone since it was being used for company purposes, and in theory they would also have to pay your monthly phone bill as it's being used for company purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back