Archived cashier problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Hi how are you, didja have fun shopping, do you have any coupons or cartwheel today, will you be saving 5% with us today"
Vary a few words here and there and personalize it for your regulars, but that's how you work in Cartwheel every time you interact with a guest checking out.

"What's Cartwheel?"

It's a part of the Target app that allows you to save on hundreds of items in store. (hands are moving, you're still ringing in their stuff)
If they want to download it, suspend the transaction, tell them that they can move to the side, or we can hold their cart if they want to have a seat in the Cafe and enjoy a snack while they get set up.

If they have only Cartwheel specific items, like maybe shoes for the family are 30% off, and it's a quick transaction, they STILL have to download it. No, they didn't read the sign, yes, they're going to resist. Offer to suspend or if you've only rung up a few items and they're going to DL the app, void everything and move them to the side. Tell them you'll show them how to use it when they come back. But be nice about it, you have to be diplomatic in retail. You come here to bitch, but out there, you have to be a freakin' UN ambassador.

Anyway, once they download it and set up their account, THAT's when you scan the suspend ticket and start back with them. Yes, they have to get back in line. But that's just the way it is, it's one time only, get it out of the way.

That was my approach to Red Cards too - sign up now, get it over with, put money in your pocket. I ended 2017 as #1 red card seller in my store without tricks or lies. And you all know, there's that one TM who lies like a rug to get old people to sign up.
Explaining the concept is fast and easy. But you can't just say the name and that it is like an electronic store coupon and move on. You have to teach them how to use it. I honestly don't see how any cashier has the time to explain it and teach the guest how to use it while checking out.

I dunno, I always was able to help them once they created an account and signed in. Point to the link, point to the categories, add the big clothing discount one (because that was always the popular one), then tell them that in the future, they can ask Target employee and we'll show them more cool tricks.

If you have more than 1+1, you send #2 to the service des, or press for back up. But if we don't show them how to use it, then they'll keep holding us up every time they get in line because they're bitching about how it's not fair that they can't get the Cartwheel discount.

Get it over with so that you don't have to fuck with it again.

Yes. I also turn off my light so I don't get backed up too badly, unless there really isn't another cashier and the GSTL is already calling for backup. And most guests I've had as the #2 in that situation say that don't mind waiting a little bit. I think that when they see you being truly helpful to one guest, they get the impression that you would do the same for them if they needed help.

I dunno, I always was able to help them once they created an account and signed in. Point to the link, point to the categories, add the big clothing discount one (because that was always the popular one), then tell them that in the future, they can ask Target employee and we'll show them more cool tricks.

If you have more than 1+1, you send #2 to the service des, or press for back up. But if we don't show them how to use it, then they'll keep holding us up every time they get in line because they're bitching about how it's not fair that they can't get the Cartwheel discount.

Get it over with so that you don't have to fuck with it again.

That little bit of instruction they won't be able to really figure it out for the next trip. They aren't going to know there's a 50 limit on the list. They aren't going to know to both category search and to scan every item as they put it in the cart. They aren't going to know how to stack Cartwheel, Target coupon and manufacturer's coupon, but also know how some Cartwheel offers are manufacturer's coupons and can't be stacked with paper coupons. They aren't going to know the 6 times per day limit. They aren't going to know how the in-store coupons are on the same app and how to access them. They aren't going to know that the exclusive offers don't show up in either category search or barcode scan and how those have to be found in order to be used. They aren't going to know which of the icons on the bottom do what. They need to know a lot more to fully utilize in on future trips.

That little bit of instruction they won't be able to really figure it out for the next trip. They aren't going to know there's a 50 limit on the list. They aren't going to know to both category search and to scan every item as they put it in the cart. They aren't going to know how to stack Cartwheel, Target coupon and manufacturer's coupon, but also know how some Cartwheel offers are manufacturer's coupons and can't be stacked with paper coupons. They aren't going to know the 6 times per day limit. They aren't going to know how the in-store coupons are on the same app and how to access them. They aren't going to know that the exclusive offers don't show up in either category search or barcode scan and how those have to be found in order to be used. They aren't going to know which of the icons on the bottom do what. They need to know a lot more to fully utilize in on future trips.
I have had exclusive show up in scan. I always scan, all offers always come up, the only time I search is for Starbucks.

I mean really the only thing we can do is post-void the payment and redo it with their redcard if it’s the same day. After that there’s literally nothing we can do. And we shouldn’t anyways, the whole point of you getting the discount is because you paid with the card. Just having the card is not enough because target still has to pay the transaction fee lol. Whoever is telling people they have 7 days is really dumb because there’s literally no way unless you sit there and wrong price every single item on the receipt and adjust it down 5% but I personally am not going to do that for anyone because it’s ridiculous. I was told best practice is you can only get the 5% if you are actually paying with that card. Even if the guest has it with them and says they forgot the pin or whatever, can they still get the 5%, no they can’t because you have to literally be paying with the card for it to go down. You can just say there’s no way for you to manually do it lol
I have honestly had it with guests that want 5% off because they forgot their card or the pin. I had a guest on Saturday who claimed they forgot their card, but wanted the 5% off on a whole lot of baby clothes and food. She demanded to speak to a manager, so my GSTL comes over and explains that she must have the card for the discount. She then has the nerve to ask if we can hold all of her items for her until she comes back, to which I simply say "no". Her husband seemed to want to just buy everything and get it over with, but she really must have wanted the 5% off. She didn't cause a huge argument or anything, but it was still annoying.

Mine don't show in the scan. If I want my potatoes & onions offer or my Market Pantry milk offer I have to manually add them as a barcode scan says there are no offers.

Mine don't show in the scan. If I want my potatoes & onions offer or my Market Pantry milk offer I have to manually add them as a barcode scan says there are no offers.
Odd. You should report it to the app people in give app feedback section.

Cartwheel annoys me a little bit because our guests are idiots who can't read. The signs very clearly say "discount with Cartwheel" and "get the app" and so on, but all they see is 15% off. The ones who get nasty about it are the ones I refuse to help in any way. If they're reasonably polite, I'll offer to suspend the transaction and hold their purchases either at my register or at GS (depending on how much they have) while they go to SBux where the Wifi is strongest and download the app. If they have only one or two items, they're nice to me, and I don't have a line, I'll do them the favor of adjusting it now and telling them to go home and download the app.
I have had guests like this too, who only see the percentage off, and ignore the Cartwheel part of the sign. Honestly, I don't want to give them the discount if they aren't willing to download the app, but I wonder if some of my GSTLs will just tell me to give them the percentage off manually as a Missed Cartwheel discount.

Yeah, if my GSTL or most of my GSAs get involved, they'll tell me to override. And it pisses me off that they don't back me up on this (and other things, frankly). So I don't call them over unless I can't avoid it.

It's nowhere near that complicated. You suspend the transaction and have them wait to the side while they download and scan their items. Ring up other guest in the meantime
It is a complicated process that should happen before the guest checks out. First, you need to have the guest download the app and then create an account; provided the wifi is working quickly. Second, you need to show the guest the different ways to see if an item has a discount. Third, they then need to scan their items to see if they are on cartwheel. If you are already helping out the other guests in line then you are having to juggle at least two guests at the same time.

Last edited:
It is a complicated process that should happen before the guest checks out. First, you need to have the guest download the app and then create an account; provided the wifi is working quickly. Second, you need to show the guest the different ways to see if an item has a discount. Third, they then need to scan their items to see if they are on cartwheel. If you are already helping out the other guests in line then you are having to juggle two at least two guests at the same time.
It's also usually difficult explaining this to older guests because they might need the step by step explanation.

This was an incident that I forgot about, probably from a few months ago, but a guest was buying A LOT of baby formula, some in plastic and some in those really small glass bottles. She told me that she accidentally dropped one of the glass bottles and it shattered on the floor near the belt. However, she "stated" that she would clean it up since she was in a hurry and that she wanted to be checked out ASAP. I meekly did what she wanted and a GSTL came over and noticed the leftover glass and just told me that I should have cleaned it up before she was checked out since it's a safety hazard. I really should have been stronger and said that cleaning up the mess was a priority over her being checked out.

Regarding the safety training from orientation, I feel like I forgot most of what was covered. Was it really as simple as if it's food or drink, any team member can clean it up, and if it's a chemical or body-related (vomit), a team member with special training has to be called to clean it up? I did have another incident in which a guest's child vomited near my register, and I called a GSTL over, who called the cart attendant over, and they both cleaned up the mess. I am wondering what I should do in case I encounter a similar situation in the future.

Anyone cleans up food, special people clean up bio-hazard. However I'm not sure about glass, since that is a safety hazard during the cleanup process.

Regarding the safety training from orientation, I feel like I forgot most of what was covered. Was it really as simple as if it's food or drink, any team member can clean it up, and if it's a chemical or body-related (vomit), a team member with special training has to be called to clean it up? I did have another incident in which a guest's child vomited near my register, and I called a GSTL over, who called the cart attendant over, and they both cleaned up the mess. I am wondering what I should do in case I encounter a similar situation in the future.

Pretty much, yeah. You can clean up food and drinks, but anything more than that needs advanced training. Cart attendants and leadership get the advanced training.

Service desk team members and back ups get the training too because they get returns and defectives that are leaking and broken and need to be able to deal with it properly.

Lol I’ve never gotten this training
When you do your annual training on the computer do you have to do the one where they ask what type of gloves do you were when cleaning up X and where you can look up more information about chemicals that are used or for sale at Target? That's the training module. Congratulations- your trained. It isn't any kind of practical or hands on training. Regular cashiers only get the one where most of the answers are - if it's food you can clean it up, if it is any type of chemical you need to call someone else over. You do that one too. You need to keep taking the test until you score 85% or something like that.

Its more about covering Target if you injure yourself when dealing with these as you were trained how to properly deal with X,Y, and Z and you chose not to do A, B, or C as mandated by the training.

Last edited:
When you do your annual training on the computer do you have to do the one where they ask what type of gloves do you were when cleaning up X? That's the training module. Congratulations- your trained. Regular cashiers only get the one where most of the answers are - if it's food you can clean it up, if it is any type of chemical you need to call someone else over.
I’ve only had the training you get when you’re first hired :/

However I'm not sure about glass, since that is a safety hazard during the cleanup process.
I had to clean up glass when I was just electronics, I didn't get any of the Hazmat or specialized training at all. It was just "Be careful and use a broom/dustpan" for glass.

I’ve only had the training you get when you’re first hired :/
Has it been more than a year for you? They should make you do it annually. For the last at least 3 years, the training and questions were exactly the same as the year before.

I'm cash/SD, and I've been at Target 18 months now. I've never had that training either. I've had the basic spill one that repeatedly says that only specially trained TMs can clean up chemicals. But never anything about hoe to clean up chemicals.

When HR sits you guys down to complete the spill training you should click the one that says advanced training ST0040. That will give you qualifications for all the spills. Certain TMs (leaders and AP) take both ST0030 basic training and ST0040.

Can any of you cashiers tell me how to use giftcards if someone has their RC connected to cartwheel? I feel bad whenever I have to just explain that they’ll have to save the gift cards for next time.. but I really have no idea how to use it because if I scan cartwheel, the second I press total it just prints the receipt and ends the transaction. Is there a way to do it or would the guest have to remove their red card from their cartwheel to use a gift card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back