Archived cashier problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post your comments about issues you've had with guests while either cashiering or back up cashiering. I swear it's becoming one of the most disliked and looked down upon position in most stores.

One of the many problems; I turn off my light to leave &/or go on break and that's when guests cram into my line. The GSA doesn't care to block off my line because she is hiding in Photo. o_O

Sometimes, I even grab a cashier just coming in and ask them to take over my lane & she will yell "go take lane xyz"......

I mean really, guests are clueless about lane lights & some GSAs are worthless when it comes to doing their jobs.:mad:

Whenever I say sorry I am closed ( I am on back-up) guests get annoyed because I have to get back to the sales floor. I am so so sorry I have to get back to my work....... There are other lanes you know.......... I also have guests who have no manners who chatter on their phones and I am trying to tell them how much they owe or swipe their cards but no they are too busy chattering away! Seriously put down the stupid phone!

Last edited:
Whenever I say sorry I am closed ( I am on back-up) guests get annoyed because I have to get back to the sales floor. I am so so sorry I have to get back to my work....... There are other lanes you know..........

But you must stay here and help me because I am the center of the universe and all things rotate around me!

Mods, could we move this to guests forum?
I meant to create the thread here, but yeah. Insomnia does that.
one problem, or pet peeve is when guests don't want to put their clothes on the conveyor belt bc it's "too dirty." If only they knew where they've been before. Another is when they point at your items on the belt when you say hi, like you can't see it there. So much for trying to be friendly.
my last for today is when guests try to give you coupons before you're finished scanning. Be patient, jeez. You may not care to know me but you don't have to be an ass.

I love when they tell me they have Cartwheel after I've pressed total so now I have to go back and scan your barcode. I know it's a small thing but it's a minor annoyance of mine. I have since started to ask if they have coupons or Cartwheel before I push my total button. I also love when the scanner can't pick up the barcode on the guests' phones and I ask them to please brighten the screen...and they don't know how to. Oy vey.

I hate when it's not very busy yet steady and I see a guest has one or two items.. I will say - is that all you have? I can take you on lane 6.. Then they can't find their card or they want to have their kid go get another item or their card is declined...and I look up to see 3 self check outs blinking red and can't do a thing about it..
Then I say to myself - never again.

Or the decoy guest who pops over with a few items in their hand - can you take me? "Sure" - then the over flowing cart appears out of nowhere.

I also dislike when you have bratty kids playing all over the place thinking it is a playground mom isn't paying attention and they are climbing on the counter coming behind the register playing on the checklane displays ( seriously control your kid!) I am not a baby-sitter I do not need to keep a eye on your child.

When the POS decides to be a POS and utterly shit itself

Was ringing up a guest and when it came time for the payment, the card reader wouldn't read the card. So, I tried it on our reader. Still didn't work. Figured simply restarting the transaction would help. Upon hitting VOID, it locked up, then completely shut down.

Like, I'm good with tech, and considered it as a career path, but I really can't figure out what would cause a computer to completely shit itself like that.

Kids who step into your area while you're cashiering.
If you tell/ask them to step out, the mom is on your a$$ because 'they're curious'.
I was in the middle of a large transaction (mom shopping for college kid) & the total was already up to $400+ when my register suddenly shut down.
I looked down & there was a 3-yr-old with his finger on the kill switch.
I said "Excuse me?" looking around for a parent & his mom popped up from the next lane over.
She started the spiel about "curious kids" but I cut her off.
I pointed to the 2 carts (& the glowering college kid's mom) telling her I was going to have to re-ring it ALL OVER because of her "curious kid".
Her response? "Oopsie."
I didn't have to say anything else because the college mom ripped her a new one while we moved to another lane.

Oopsie?? Gotta love guests...... I would of yelled at the mom ( if only) and said you know cash registers aren't toys you know!!

my last for today is when guests try to give you coupons before you're finished scanning. Be patient, jeez. You may not care to know me but you don't have to be an ass.

I think this is being courteous, not an ass. I want coupons first. That is why cashiers are trained to ask the guest if they are using coupons at the start of the transaction. Much easier to verify they are for the right items if you check as you go rather than being handed a wad of coupons at the end of the transaction.

^And this is why I work my spiel "are you using any coupons or giftcards with your purchase today?" That usually covers the people who have coupons/Cartwheel & the guests who forgot about that dusty ol promo giftcard in their wallet.

That way, they get their shit together instead of zoning out while I scan their stuff.

I think this is being courteous, not an ass. I want coupons first. That is why cashiers are trained to ask the guest if they are using coupons at the start of the transaction. Much easier to verify they are for the right items if you check as you go rather than being handed a wad of coupons at the end of the transaction.
I tend to remember what I scanned, but I've had many try to shove them in my face before I can do anything lol. It can be ridiculous. As,for training, what training? I've never had it for anything, really

Most grocery stores ask for coupons upfront - People are conditioned. I like when people show me their coupons first. I look them over then try to put those items so they are easily accessible for me when the coupons don't seem to match. All our cashiers get training, even back-ups. You tend to have more problems down the road if a cashier isn't trained properly to begin with.

My biggest pet peeve is just bad attitudes from guests. I ask about the red card because IT'S MY JOB and they roll their eyes and act like I do it just to annoy them and give me attitude. People that interrupt me are the worst. I don't care that you're tired of hearing it. I'm tired of saying it and you're just being rude.

That also goes with "Hi! How are --" "I'm paying for this separately." "Ok, sure thing! Let me try again, HOW ARE YOU TODAY?"

Honestly, now that I'm not a cashier...I get so thoroughly peeved by people just in the short stretches of time that I'm on a register, I have no idea how I survived 8 hour cashier shifts without committing murder.

People are nasty. I can't say hi or how are they without them interrupting me about their order, talking about a gift card, or pointing with their pointy finger to their crap on the belt.

Also, it's not that people show me their coupons first. It's the fact they shove it in my face when I've started scanning already lol. There is a method to my madness. I've worked at grocery stores before. My GSTL likes my approach.

Another issue...they put money on the belt instead of handing it to me. Or on the counter. Sometimes I deliberately take my time picking it up.

Last edited:
Another issue...they put money on the belt instead of handing it to me. Or on the counter. Sometimes I deliberately take my time picking it up.
I hate it when they put the money on the belt because I am afraid some of it is going to slip down the cracks and they're going to get pissed at me for it. It makes zero sense to put money on the belt.

Last edited:
I hate when I'm done ringing up the guests items, hit total, they pay, I give them their receipt and they say that they were supposed to get a giftcard with that.

Also when an item doesn't have a barcode and they tell me it was X amount $, cool but sometimes I need a dpci, I don't like doing no barcode for items that are more than $3.

Or when the guests ask if I could hand them my gun scanner so they can scan their water, pet food, kitty litter. No I can come around and get it myself.

Or when the guest is buying a huge TV or huge item with a spider wrap on it and they leave it in their cart. Unless you wanna leave with it on you can at least help me move it to get it off. I'm not the strongest girl.

And last one (for now) is when the guest decides against half of the items in their cart and give it back to me. Especially when it's right after reshop is collected and they have huge items that don't fit in my bin!

Sorry, I have a lot to vent about!

I hate it when they put the money on the belt because I am afraid some of it is going to slip down the cracks and they're going to get pissed at me for it. It makes zero sense to put money on the belt.
I know, and I always tell them and then they look at me like "huh....?" It's like, do you lack common sense?

I hate when I'm done ringing up the guests items, hit total, they pay, I give them their receipt and they say that they were supposed to get a giftcard with that.

Also when an item doesn't have a barcode and they tell me it was X amount $, cool but sometimes I need a dpci, I don't like doing no barcode for items that are more than $3.

Or when the guests ask if I could hand them my gun scanner so they can scan their water, pet food, kitty litter. No I can come around and get it myself.

Or when the guest is buying a huge TV or huge item with a spider wrap on it and they leave it in their cart. Unless you wanna leave with it on you can at least help me move it to get it off. I'm not the strongest girl.

And last one (for now) is when the guest decides against half of the items in their cart and give it back to me. Especially when it's right after reshop is collected and they have huge items that don't fit in my bin!

Sorry, I have a lot to vent about!
Lol. I can relate to most of these. Bringing up kitty litter, water, and anything huge on the belt is so annoying. Smh. If we had a self check out they would hate to scan it that way too. I can only imagine how many complaints we'd have then.

This is my favorite flash that describes cashier problems:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back