Archived cashier problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. It usually happens when I do "No Barcode" then key in a price. I believe if it's over a certain amount, I'll get that red screen with the blue button in the middle.

$20 is the limit for most cashiers. If you have Supervisor access, you can do a No Barcode for any amount. I tried it out for $99,999 or something like that once and it went through.

Or when the guests ask if I could hand them my gun scanner so they can scan their water, pet food, kitty litter. No I can come around and get it myself.

I didn't know that we couldn't let guests use the hand scanners, only done it a couple times with heavy furniture in an awkward spot... interesting was never told anything different either

:p

I didn't know that we couldn't let guests use the hand scanners, only done it a couple times with heavy furniture in an awkward spot... interesting was never told anything different either

:p

My GSTL would say no, because that is the guest doing our job for us.

I hate when guests barely start looking for deals on their Cartwheel until they're in line being checked out. And they ask, "do you know if any of my items for this $300 transaction are on Cartwheel?" :rolleyes: "No...no ma'am I have no idea."

I also hate when short people use the MOVING CONVEYER BELT as a counter to count out their money on WHILE IT'S MOVING. I find myself diving down to grasp their cash before it falls into the dirty catcher thing underneath, while awkwardly trying to turn it off at the same time.

*guest puts basket full of items on belt*
*blinks* *waits 5 seconds*
"Sir/ma'am, I need you to please place your items on the belt and then place the basket at the head of the lane. Thank you!"

This has been happening quite a bit lately. So far, most of the guests have been apologetic and did as I asked. But, seriously, why do they think it's easy for my 5'3" self to reach over the basket on the belt and remove items before scanning them? Stop being lazy!

I hate when guests reach over and grab bags that have 1 or 2 items in them. They either think they are helping ( they are not) or they are in a hurry and I'm too damn slow. In the process of them ripping the bags out, they end up messing up my whole area with other bags still partially attached. Then they get upset over how many bags they have! I want to slap their hands when I see one coming over. I try to tell them that I will get that for you or when it is full I will give it to you. I feel like they are pushy and coming into my personal space. Leave the bags alone, I can do my job thank you! Oy!

It's hella annoying when I total, and the guest already swiped their card and it's just waiting for a signature, THEN they decide to tell me they have Cartwheel/coupons/employee discounts. Like wtf shit doesn't let me go back, you swiped your card and damn near paid for your stuff already, doesn't let me press "Back" or "Cancel", then they get all mad because j wasn't able to add anything else to the transaction. That seriously pisses me off.

It's hella annoying when I total, and the guest already swiped their card and it's just waiting for a signature, THEN they decide to tell me they have Cartwheel/coupons/employee discounts. Like wtf shit doesn't let me go back, you swiped your card and damn near paid for your stuff already, doesn't let me press "Back" or "Cancel", then they get all mad because j wasn't able to add anything else to the transaction. That seriously pisses me off.

I know it's annoying, but you can still back out of the payment if they haven't finished it. Especially if they haven't signed. By that logic, that would mean their signature is irrelevant. The transaction isn't done until the receipt pops out. Hit your back button and then K1 to "void all payments" or K8 to cancel. Worst case scenario if those two things magically don't work, hit the "suspend" button which will suspend the transaction and thus kick out the payment. I hate getting frustrated guests coming to Guest Service with their coupons and Cartwheel because the cashier didn't know how to back out of a payment.

I hate being told how to bag things, like frozen food together and so on. I used to tell them I know how to bag groceries properly because I have worked retail but now I'm like "yeah, that was the plan *smile*"

I hate being told how to bag things, like frozen food together and so on. I used to tell them I know how to bag groceries properly because I have worked retail but now I'm like "yeah, that was the plan *smile*"
I had a lady do that yesterday. "can you bag the eggs separate from the dress" eh...."you don't want a dress omelette" *wink* good times.

I know it's annoying, but you can still back out of the payment if they haven't finished it. Especially if they haven't signed. By that logic, that would mean their signature is irrelevant. The transaction isn't done until the receipt pops out. Hit your back button and then K1 to "void all payments" or K8 to cancel. Worst case scenario if those two things magically don't work, hit the "suspend" button which will suspend the transaction and thus kick out the payment. I hate getting frustrated guests coming to Guest Service with their coupons and Cartwheel because the cashier didn't know how to back out of a payment.
The signature is irrelevant. It's not like it is electronically compared to a signature on file with your bank.

You can write anything you want and the payment goes through no matter what. The only thing the signature is for is to keep on file in case the guest protests the charge with their bank.

The signature is irrelevant. It's not like it is electronically compared to a signature on file with your bank.

You can write anything you want and the payment goes through no matter what. The only thing the signature is for is to keep on file in case the guest protests the charge with their bank.

Bahaha this just reminded me of a hilarious article I read a while back. I love the way this guy thinks. http://www.tickld.com/x/this-guy-just-made-the-staff-at-walmart-lose-their-mindsthis-is-genius

My point is, regardless of what marking goes in that box, those marks signify the customer completing the transaction. It's the equivalent to a pin number almost. If the guest doesn't sign, or enter their pin because they have an issue with their total for example, the cashier can back out of the initiated payment. You can't force them to pay and then make them return everything.

There's a funny video about the pointless signatures here.

Last edited:
Of course no one is going to stop them. They are grown adults. If they can't figure out how to sign a legal document, that's between them and their bank. I have parents who let kids sign for them all the time. It isn't my place to say anything, but if any of these fools ever have a card stolen, good luck convincing the bank which signatures were real and which ones weren't.

Hey I have a question for all the cashiers. When is Cartwheel supposed to be scanned? When it was first introduced, I was taught that Cartwheel ALWAYS get's scanned last, after all items have been scanned. It's the last step after coupons and other discounts. However, today at work, I had a guest hassle me for not scanning it right away, because she was worried her phone was going to die. I told her I'm sorry I had to wait until I scanned everything. She said no other stores do that, to which I just repeated my answer. She just argued with me saying I was the only one who does that. I just ignored her at that point.

I think she was just being a (expletive) because she got mad at me again that the least amount of cash back she could get was $10, rather than $5, and mumbled, "This is why I never come here" to herself. I had to stop myself from saying, "You don't come here because you can't get $5 cash back?"

ANYWAY, getting off topic. But for future reference, can I scan Cartwheel at any time during a transaction? Or does it always have to go last? She didn't have any other coupons or discounts in this case.

My favorite (and by favorite I mean I want to stab them in the eye with the credit card pen thing) are the people who swipe their card BEFORE I SCAN ANYTHING an expect it to go through.

And then get mad and accuse me of double charging them when it doesnt.

ANYWAY, getting off topic. But for future reference, can I scan Cartwheel at any time during a transaction? Or does it always have to go last? She didn't have any other coupons or discounts in this case.

It can be scanned at any point now (used to be if you scanned it any time other than last the computer would crash) but it's up to you. If you're more comfortable scanning them all at the end, so be it, but if a guest is getting fussy about how their phone might die you can scan it early to appease them.

I have scanned Cartwheel in the middle and end of transactions. I'm not sure if it made a difference.

My favorite (and by favorite I mean I want to stab them in the eye with the credit card pen thing) are the people who swipe their card BEFORE I SCAN ANYTHING an expect it to go through.

And then get mad and accuse me of double charging them when it doesnt.
Ha! I just complained about this in the "To that one guest" thread.

Hey I have a question for all the cashiers. When is Cartwheel supposed to be scanned? When it was first introduced, I was taught that Cartwheel ALWAYS get's scanned last, after all items have been scanned. It's the last step after coupons and other discounts. However, today at work, I had a guest hassle me for not scanning it right away, because she was worried her phone was going to die. I told her I'm sorry I had to wait until I scanned everything. She said no other stores do that, to which I just repeated my answer. She just argued with me saying I was the only one who does that. I just ignored her at that point.

When Cartwheel was first introduced if you didn't do it last about 1 in 20 times it would freeze everything up. You had to shut down the register and reboot and rescan everything at a different register.

As soon as they realized this they went to the mandate to scan it last. A couple months later they introduced the update where it no longer calculates the discounts until you push Total. When that update came out it no longer mattered when you scanned. So scan it first, last, middle whenever it is convenient for you and the guest. I often try to do it early just so I don't have to worry about the guests phone dying or forgetting etc.

When Cartwheel was first introduced if you didn't do it last about 1 in 20 times it would freeze everything up. You had to shut down the register and reboot and rescan everything at a different register.

As soon as they realized this they went to the mandate to scan it last. A couple months later they introduced the update where it no longer calculates the discounts until you push Total. When that update came out it no longer mattered when you scanned. So scan it first, last, middle whenever it is convenient for you and the guest. I often try to do it early just so I don't have to worry about the guests phone dying or forgetting etc.

Awesome! This is great news. I'm assuming this means it's okay to scan before coupons as well, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back