Archived cashier problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have at least two cashiers who can't make change without the computer telling them what to give the guest. Like, if they put in the wrong amount they have to call me over to give the guest their change because they literally cannot figure out the difference.

I really wish they would allow more time when processing a cash transaction for scoring for speed. It's not my fault that it took the guest forever to dig out their change to pay me. The cash Rs have been killing my speed lately. :(

It's totally silly. I'm glad the FC register doesn't do that nonsense!

I have at least two cashiers who can't make change without the computer telling them what to give the guest. Like, if they put in the wrong amount they have to call me over to give the guest their change because they literally cannot figure out the difference.
Teach them to do a wrong payment. That function has saved my can't-do-simple-math but plenty of times.

You've gotta be pretty stupid if you can't do that simple math.

You've gotta be pretty stupid if you can't do that simple math.
Or you have Dyscalculia like myself and really try to keep it straight. Most of the time I'm ok but sometimes my mind gets the numbers messed up. Wish I could help it though but I was born with it. In doubt, though, I use my phones calculator. I'm getting better at mental math. Just takes a lot of repetition.

Last edited:
7510cbc26e2a75d0169fbbaa917bd7ec0cb2cc41f159d9604b262e6201f9baac.jpg

You don't even have to know any math. just count up. Purchase is $11.65 and they hand you a 20? start counting up. $11.65, *add a dime* $11.75 *add a quarter* $12.00 *add three dollars* $15.00 *add a 5 dollar bill* $20.00 Done.
It's not even math that bothers me when i'm working, lol. Dyscalculia is like dyslexia except with numbers. It's hard to keep order but now I only seem to mess up once in a blue moon. Once I screwed up the placement of change and cash. I caught it in time but it's something I was born with so I have to really be careful.
when I'm couting, I've had people stand over me. Smh. I especially dislike it when they decide to stare at the screen as I'm scanning items to check the price. When they do this, I really start talking about red card to piss them off :D
it's especially fun when this happens as backup decides to take their sweet time.which is always.

Last edited:

We have a lot of cashiers who start, and then we find out they can't make change when the register tells them how much they get back. They literally have no idea how to count money. You know things aren't going to go well when you find that out.

That silly entry test outta have some math problems to help weed out the maroons.

I have dyscalculia too @iVibe. I don't mess up change since I think of it in terms of something tangible (Like I have to give them 1 five, 3 dollar bills, 2 quarters, a nickle and a penny instead of thinking I have to give them $8.56). It causes me to switch numbers around or mistake one number for another but I correct myself pretty quickly or play it off like "Oh, it's loud, you must've heard me wrong!" It's only when a) I type in the wrong amount or b) guests start shoving handfuls of change in my face demanding I give them only singles after I already put in the amount that I get fucked up, at which point I a) do a wrong payment, apologize and tell them it's the rules, or b) tell them we can't accept change after the transaction is done, and they're SOL because I purposefully repeat the amount they give me "Out of $X?" in case the guest wants to hold up my line for 5 minutes looking for 67 cents in change.

When I learned to do register back in the stone age, you were always supposed to count up the persons change back to them.
You didn't need to be a math genius and it kept you from making mistakes.
Also, scammers don't like it.

If I had those kind of troubles I sure as hell wouldn't have a job that required that 'skill.'

My job now is working with a state department that helps people with disabilities get jobs.
We figure out ways to make it so that people with 'troubles' can do jobs that require skills that under normal circumstances might have been an impossible hurdle but with training or assistive technology they can do the jobs.
There is no reason to limit yourself or other people, there are ways things can be done.

There are no limits really, I just learn my own way you know? If you can't have some form of empathy for others then humanity truly is lost. No one is perfect. Cashiers work just as hard as anyone else. It merely takes me a second when I mess up to fix it with or without a calculator. I've even trained in multiple centers now, I know that I am capable, and yes, dealing with bitchy people all day whilest cash handling is a skill. Especially eight hours of it.

Last edited:
I have dyscalculia too @iVibe. I don't mess up change since I think of it in terms of something tangible (Like I have to give them 1 five, 3 dollar bills, 2 quarters, a nickle and a penny instead of thinking I have to give them $8.56). It causes me to switch numbers around or mistake one number for another but I correct myself pretty quickly or play it off like "Oh, it's loud, you must've heard me wrong!" It's only when a) I type in the wrong amount or b) guests start shoving handfuls of change in my face demanding I give them only singles after I already put in the amount that I get fucked up, at which point I a) do a wrong payment, apologize and tell them it's the rules, or b) tell them we can't accept change after the transaction is done, and they're SOL because I purposefully repeat the amount they give me "Out of $X?" in case the guest wants to hold up my line for 5 minutes looking for 67 cents in change.

Thanks for the tips and being so open about it! I used to do the wrong payment option too lol

It all has to do with advocating for yourself and not being afraid to fail. I also have a math-related learning disability, believe it of not. I needed extensive tutoring to pass algebra 2 and I barely passed. Got an A+ in Honors Geometry, though. But I can handle money and change like a boss. I can also remember drawing odds for Texas Hold 'Em no problem. Basically what I'm saying is if you have problems transposing numbers make yourself a system where it's hard to do that, like counting up. If you have trouble doing it in your head, place the bills on the counter. You can make change.

I have a problem where I'm always saying the wrong total to the guest. Like if their total it $12.74, I might accidentally say, "$71.14." I almost always catch myself, but it's annoying.

Luckily, I have no problems calculating change. Since it's so visual, I know that if I owe someone .41 cents for example, that's one of each coin. Despite the register doing all the math, it's significantly helped my math.

Then, don't say anything... just swing the screen around.

Sometimes it's better to go out of your way to say it to the guest bc they are always on their phones.

I know how to prepare for confrontation, fixing my mistakes, and the like. What I was trying to say was that not all cashiers are cut from the same thread. Not everyone is the same. Also, no work center is better than the other :) we all work hard for our pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back