Archived cashier problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting, how many times I have said the wrong amount, the guest will still swipe their card with no question, even if it's absurdly high for what they bought.

It's interesting, how many times I have said the wrong amount, the guest will still swipe their card with no question, even if it's absurdly high for what they bought.
I swear some of them you could tell them their total is $75,000 with a straight face and they wouldn't even be paying attention enough to notice/care.
These also tend to be the ones who are a) on their phones the entire time, or b) swipe their card at the very begining of the transaction (or even before it fucking begins!) and stare off into space for the next few minutes.

Related: no, we don't have baggers. And I seriously can't stop to load up your cart in the middle of your $500 grocery shopping spree. So for the love of all that is holy LOAD UP YOUR FUCKING CART IS YOUR PHONE THAT IMPORTANT THAT YOU IGNORE IT UNTIL I START PASSIVE AGGRESSIVELY HAVING TO PUT BAGS ON THE FLOOR BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO BUSY TEXTING YOUR FUCKING PTA ABOUT BROWNIES FOR A BAKE SALE

Related: no, we don't have baggers. And I seriously can't stop to load up your cart in the middle of your $500 grocery shopping spree. So for the love of all that is holy LOAD UP YOUR FUCKING CART IS YOUR PHONE THAT IMPORTANT THAT YOU IGNORE IT UNTIL I START PASSIVE AGGRESSIVELY HAVING TO PUT BAGS ON THE FLOOR BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO BUSY TEXTING YOUR FUCKING PTA ABOUT BROWNIES FOR A BAKE SALE
we have guests at my store that put their carts close to the counter and go about texting thinking that we're gonna put their bags in their cart but i just stand there. if it fills up it fills up. i just move shit around until they start putting stuff in their cart by themselves.

It's not that hard to put stuff in a guest's cart. It lets you walk around, check the bottom of the basket, and it's going the extra step to provide great service. If the guest is picking up the bags, that's great. If the bags start to pile up, put them in their basket. There's no point in getting upset about the guest not picking up the bags and there's no point in being rude and/or passive aggressive about it.

we have guests at my store that put their carts close to the counter and go about texting thinking that we're gonna put their bags in their cart but i just stand there. if it fills up it fills up. i just move shit around until they start putting stuff in their cart by themselves.

Yup, same here.

It's not that hard to put stuff in a guest's cart. It lets you walk around, check the bottom of the basket, and it's going the extra step to provide great service. If the guest is picking up the bags, that's great. If the bags start to pile up, put them in their basket. There's no point in getting upset about the guest not picking up the bags and there's no point in being rude and/or passive aggressive about it.

Same. I usually either go to put large or heavy objects in the cart first, that way the guest doesn't do those last, squishing all their stuff. OR, I take the bread and eggs and put them in the kids seat, or I just put whatever bags I have time for. All good excuses to walk around and check for BOB, and to prevent the guest from pilling everything like a moron. With all the heavy and fragile stuff taken care of, I feel better leaving the rest to them. It's also a good way to help prevent Paid and Left items.

Newest pet peeve: guests who put their arm on the belt and constantly push back their items because reaching an extra two inches and putting down the plastic divider is too damn difficult.

File them right next to guests who don't use a goddamn divider at all.

Newest pet peeve: guests who put their arm on the belt and constantly push back their items because reaching an extra two inches and putting down the plastic divider is too damn difficult.

File them right next to guests who don't use a goddamn divider at all.

You ever get the ones utterly confused and tell you, "It won't stop moving!" I hate this. It makes it all the way to the sensor, and then they push it back for whatever fucking reason, thus causing the chain reaction of stupidity.

You ever get the ones utterly confused and tell you, "It won't stop moving!" I hate this. It makes it all the way to the sensor, and then they push it back for whatever fucking reason, thus causing the chain reaction of stupidity.

I especially like the ones who don't use a divider and act like it's your fault for ringing up their items on another's transaction. My response is "Oh sorry, usually people use dividers to split up their items for others" in a nice and sweet tone so that it does seem like I am genuinely trying to help them. :)

Last edited:
I had a woman at my register tonight who kept telling me how good I was at bagging. I think she thought I was special needs by the way she was speaking. Kind of like a mother to a dumb child. I'm in my late 30's with gray hair. I've gotten compliments on my (douch)bagging ways before which involved a normal conversation. This lady was over the top! "Good job with separating the meat" "Good job bagging the eggs by themselves"... she had something to say about every darn item! I was trying not to laugh at her!

I swear some of them you could tell them their total is $75,000 with a straight face and they wouldn't even be paying attention enough to notice/care.
These also tend to be the ones who are a) on their phones the entire time, or b) swipe their card at the very begining of the transaction (or even before it fucking begins!) and stare off into space for the next few minutes.

My store Electronics has a running competition on the most outrageous total we can give without it being detected. So far the record is 13,711.65 to a mother chatting on her phone not realizing that she had to enter her PIN.

I have no problem doing that -- except when they're so damn busy yapping on their phones that they have no idea what's going on. It's rude AF to me. Put your phone down for 2 minutes and pay attention to what I'm saying to you.

I have no problem doing that -- except when they're so damn busy yapping on their phones that they have no idea what's going on. It's rude AF to me. Put your phone down for 2 minutes and pay attention to what I'm saying to you.
SB counter all. the. damn. time.
They'll be yakking on their phone, then lean over & give me their order in a loud stage whisper.
Or tell their caller to "Hold on a sec", place their order, then apologize to the CALLER instead of the barista that's been waiting on your inconsiderate a$$.
Then you call out their drink & they're STILL on the @#$! phone.
Then when they FINALLY hang up & get their drink, they complain that "It's not hot".
I give them a feral smile & say "It WAS when I put it up there."
And a re-make will be decaf.
Count on it.

i always feel uncomfortable when mothers scream at their kids in front of me while i'm just ringing up the items. i had this guest a couple months ago go OFF on her two boys...i'm not kidding when i say the whole front line of cashiers heard her scream. it was pretty much as terrifying as if she had been yelling at me directly.

I had a woman at my register tonight who kept telling me how good I was at bagging. I think she thought I was special needs by the way she was speaking. Kind of like a mother to a dumb child. I'm in my late 30's with gray hair. I've gotten compliments on my (douch)bagging ways before which involved a normal conversation. This lady was over the top! "Good job with separating the meat" "Good job bagging the eggs by themselves"... she had something to say about every darn item! I was trying not to laugh at her!
That how America is becoming sheeple it dame sad.

That how America is becoming sheeple it dame sad.
What...the...nevermind.

Speaking of sheeple, do you actually have genuine opinions on things or do you just regurgitate idiotic things you happened to hear because you think it sounds cool?

My pet peeves are:
-Guests not using dividers
-The pens not working and people start beating on the card reader, just use ur fing finger
-People with re useable bags, not all of them but I have had a few that stunk up the place when I opened it to use it :eek:
-Stupid redcard stuff (could fill up a forum on just that alone).
-Screaming children
and finally coupon scammers :mad::mad::mad:

Sometimes I wonder how these people can even drive the way they act while checking out

I got two problems. 1. I'm often the first to offer back up. Which most TLs are totally happy for. But lately they say I have been up there for too long. First of all, have you seen the guests just shove their stuff on the belt? I don't have time to focus on telling them no, and paying attention to what I am doing. Also, I am not up there for giggles and grins. I turn off my light. People still pile in. Ignoring my turned off light.

2. I was once cashiering for the day. After a long shift, I only wanted to go home. This couple comes up. My light is off. I literally am cleaning up. I politely say: "Excuse me... I'm closed but-" that's when they snap.
Guest: What?! The registers are all full!
I look at my friend who's register has one person almost done.
Me: But-
Guest's husband: LET'S JUST LEAVE THE CART!! TAKE OUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE!!
I decide to brush it off. Thinking of it as them having a bad day. I go to guest services and clean out my register. As I go for the last trip. The couple is at guest services. Complaining about me. Telling them how horrible I was for closing. They even pointed to me and screamed "THAT'S HER!!" Like... Dude. Chill! Why is this such a big deal?!

@Hitsugi: Because you dared tell a guest 'no'.
I've had my last guest pull their cart crossways to keep anyone else from getting in my line to no avail.
You'll learn to switch off your light & RUN when getting off.

@Hitsugi: Because you dared tell a guest 'no'.
I've had my last guest pull their cart crossways to keep anyone else from getting in my line to no avail.
You'll learn to switch off your light & RUN when getting off.
I do after that encounter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back