Archived CEO Pay Watch: Target's Brian Cornell made $19.2 million in last fiscal year

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "benefits in lieu of salary increases" is something that started decades ago, during the Great Depression, when employers weren't able to give salary increases. They sweetened the pot with health insurance instead. Employers have added other supposed benefits since then.

I agree with a wage increase being more useful to me than almost all the bennies. When we had access to health care savings accounts, I took advantage of that. But the credit union and well-being help line and education reimbursement and blah-blah-blah? Not useful in the slightest, and therefore of zero value to me. Maybe others actually do use them?

If you divide $19.2 million among target's 300k employees, we'd all get $64 bucks.

If you added $5k to all TM salaries, it would cost Target $1.5 billion dollars.

There are lots of things Target could do better to support their workers, but thought I'd drop some numbers before everyone made their "where's my yacht" jokes.
Don’t forget taxes. And I’m all about paying people a fair wage. Realistically anything more than $15 is generally overpaid. Just because you do more than asked doesn’t mean spot notices, cares, or owes you.

Cornell gets a boatload in stock as an incentive to make the company do well. I’m not upset about his pay. Frankly that’s surprisingly low (yeah, I said it). I would’ve expected $50M+

I solid 401k if you start investing at 25ish can be worth a hell of a lot in 30-40 years. It takes a wise person to understand time value of money at 25. Sacrifice a few % pay now to get a lot later.

I solid 401k if you start investing at 25ish can be worth a hell of a lot in 30-40 years. It takes a wise person to understand time value of money at 25. Sacrifice a few % pay now to get a lot later.

Unless of course the value of said money is wiped out by inflation and political shenanigans, as it most assuredly will be. I have $4600 in my 401(k) which I can't use until 2053, by which time that amount will have the same purchasing power that $1000 has now. If I'm lucky I'll be able to convert it to bottle caps to pay off the local warlord's protection racket.

idk where this fiction comes from that young people don't understand the value of money. I mean, who hasn't heard their grandparents talk about them days when they could buy 300 movie tickets with five dollars when they were kids?

Unless of course the value of said money is wiped out by inflation and political shenanigans, as it most assuredly will be. I have $4600 in my 401(k) which I can't use until 2053, by which time that amount will have the same purchasing power that $1000 has now.

Statistically speaking, the value of your money will not be worth less. The year over year compounding along with stock market gains should grow a nice nest egg for your senior years.

also the time value thing is cool and all but I tried explaining this concept to my landlord, "hey brah, about next month's rent, totally can't make it but if you give me 35 more years until my ship comes in I can pay ALL my rent in one lump sum" but he wasn't buying into my plan, like at all. Then the utility company sent me a power bill and I asked, "You guys wanna harness the time value of money with me for some sick gains in the distant future?" and whaddya know, they're a bunch of haters too. I was starting to get discouraged but even so I tried running it by Geico too, like "If you can stand the suspense, I've got a phat retirement account that opens up in 2053 and you guys can be the first to get some!" but they said "actually sir the only suspense we're seeing here is your suspended license" so WELP

nobody gets it!

also the time value thing is cool and all but I tried explaining this concept to my landlord, "hey brah, about next month's rent, totally can't make it but if you give me 35 more years until my ship comes in I can pay ALL my rent in one lump sum" but he wasn't buying into my plan, like at all. Then the utility company sent me a power bill and I asked, "You guys wanna harness the time value of money with me for some sick gains in the distant future?" and whaddya know, they're a bunch of haters too. I was starting to get discouraged but even so I tried running it by Geico too, like "If you can stand the suspense, I've got a phat retirement account that opens up in 2053 and you guys can be the first to get some!" but they said "actually sir the only suspense we're seeing here is your suspended license" so WELP

nobody gets it!

I realize that you are trying to be funny, but you need to start saving now. You won't miss $20 a check.

True story: I left my government job in 1999 when I was 31 with $20,000 in my 457 account (like a 401 K account). This year, I have over $90,000 in it. I added nothing to it for 19 years. ( iwasn't working there anymore, so I could not add to it.) It grew nicely. I can start pulling out money in a few years.

I'd save away $20 a check if that wasn't almost all my check :(
25 dollars a check times 26 pays a year = $650.
Let’s say times that by 30 years of savings = wow $19,500 before taxes. So after 30 years of savings you get almost 1 year of retirement maybe 2 years if that 401k gives you about 60% return.

You have to be making big money to make money.
No retirement for me here at 12 per hour.

25 dollars a check times 26 pays a year = $650.
Let’s say times that by 30 years of savings = wow $19,500 before taxes. So after 30 years of savings you get almost 1 year of retirement maybe 2 years if that 401k gives you about 60% return.

You have to be making big money to make money.
No retirement for me here at 12 per hour.

I'm not that smart about these things, but I think you're not taking into account the compounding of interest.

Can anyone else help?

I'm not that smart about these things, but I think you're not taking into account the compounding of interest.

Can anyone else help?
I am not smart at math either but let’s say we get a 10 percent return every year so the first would be 650 + 65 = 715. So I’m just guess maybe after 30 years it would be around 60,000 ?? That’s still only enough to retire for maybe 2 years in the year 2048.

anyone who can retire on a government savings plan or 457 is lucky because those are way phatter than just about any 401(k). Also unlike with a 401(k) you can withdraw from a 457 without penalties before age 65

Statistically speaking, the value of your money will not be worth less. The year over year compounding along with stock market gains should grow a nice nest egg for your senior years.

Assuming the stock market continues to grow. The main reason Boomers aren't retiring is because half of their retirement savings evaporated in 2008.

I'm not that smart about these things, but I think you're not taking into account the compounding of interest. Can anyone else help?

Most retirement savings is done by investing in mutual funds. Mutual funds are invested in things like stocks, bonds, money market, etc. They don't earn interest and the value of your investment can go up or down based (roughly) on the stock market. Properly managed, you will see an increase in the value of your investments over time but the amount of your return will depend strictly on which funds you're invested in and the risk factor of those funds.

I work for a small business that does a Simple IRA plan and each employee gets to choose which funds that our broker has available with varying risks. About half of mine is in a fairly high risk fund, about 25% in a low-medium risk, and the last 25% in a low risk. While this puts me in a position to get a high return when the economy is growing nicely, I also stand to lose a ton if things go bad. I lost a lot of my money in 2008 because I just put money into it and didn't pay attention beyond that. At the first real sign of another economic downturn, I will be moving every penny I have invested into the lowest risk fund I can find.

Assuming the stock market continues to grow. The main reason Boomers aren't retiring is because half of their retirement savings evaporated in 2008.

Most retirement savings is done by investing in mutual funds. Mutual funds are invested in things like stocks, bonds, money market, etc. They don't earn interest and the value of your investment can go up or down based (roughly) on the stock market. Properly managed, you will see an increase in the value of your investments over time but the amount of your return will depend strictly on which funds you're invested in and the risk factor of those funds.

I work for a small business that does a Simple IRA plan and each employee gets to choose which funds that our broker has available with varying risks. About half of mine is in a fairly high risk fund, about 25% in a low-medium risk, and the last 25% in a low risk. While this puts me in a position to get a high return when the economy is growing nicely, I also stand to lose a ton if things go bad. I lost a lot of my money in 2008 because I just put money into it and didn't pay attention beyond that. At the first real sign of another economic downturn, I will be moving every penny I have invested into the lowest risk fund I can find.

Yes, I lost a ton in 2008 as well as the Tech Bubble burst from the 90's. Now last year's returns were PHENOMENAL. Most of that was due to the compounding of my previous years contributions combined with an up market. If I didn't put money in when I was younger, I wouldn't have made nearly as much money last year. My partner and I made more money on our retirement savings than we did working all of our jobs.

My last year's returns were nice compared to previous years (~14%). YTD this year is only 2.5% though. I've been putting away over $50 a week for 12 years now and only sitting at ~$58,000. It's not bad but also not that much if I plan to retire in the next 30 years.

well there you have it, this is where all the money is going.
what is the hell is that other compensation .... 263 K ???

Brian Cornell, Target Corp.

Chairman, CEO

Total compensation: $19,153,827 for the year ended Feb. 3, 2018

Salary: $1,300,000

Non-equity incentive pay: $4,836,000

Other compensation: $263,208

Value realized on vesting shares: $12,754,619

Total 2017 shareholder return: 18.57 percent

CEO pay ratio: 408:1

Median employee pay: $20,581

Note: Target, which had low expectations going into last year, ended up performing better than expected as overall consumer spending improved. CEO Brian Cornell’s compensation for the last fiscal year of $19.2 million was much higher than the previous year’s $9.1 million. That is a reflection of a $4.8 million bonus (the previous year he received no such bonus) and that he realized more vested shares than in 2016.

The board recently changed the timing of when makes stock awards until after the fiscal year ends so they were not reflected in 2017. If those awards are considered, the CEO pay ratio would rise to 657:1. While the company’s better-than-expected performance warranted a full payout, the board decided to reduce it by 28 percent, feeling it would be premature to give a full payout since the company is still in the early stage of a multi-year plan.

Kavita kumar

this was found here:
CEO Pay Watch: Target's Brian Cornell made $19.2 million in last fiscal year - http://www.startribune.com/ceo-pay-watch-target-s-brian-cornell-made-19-2-million-in-last-fiscal-year/481758221/
Where's our bonus? We're the reason your stores are open! We do all the modern day slave work. When are you giving us a bonus so we can actually shop where we work.

That’s $64 for a year. If your car is junk I doubt that would make a difference.
Well, it would make a difference from Target's perspective. If pinching hours to the minute to the second and getting the talk about only having 5 minutes of overtime, then heck yea I would take the $64!!

$300 a month for health insurance...FROM YOUR EMPLOYER is super expensive. I wouldn't call that a benefit by any means. I love me some 401K though. I just hope it's still worth a damn by the time I get to use it.

I feel like benefits are how companies got away with paying low wages. Somewhere in eHR, there's a page that says, "considering your benefits and discounts, it's like you ACTUALLY make $x.xx dollars an hour!" Example, if you made $12 an hour, the eHR thing says, "After benefits, it's like you're making $16 an hour!" I truly hate that they do that. It costs less for them to "offer benefits" rather than pay a wage that would allow you to buy those things on their own. I have no clue if it's good or bad, or how life would be otherwise. It's just a thought I have sometimes.
That's why I say F that insurance if you don't need it. I need my $$ here and now to put bread on the table when hours drop so screw them taking out money out of my check on shit that only benefits them!

Actually Cornell is somewhat a job hopper, so yes, his goal is geared more towards short term gains and increasing shareholder wealth. Probably not too invested in setting up Spot to survive another 20-30 years.
I think he will be the reason why the company will go down in a few years. They're taking the wrong approach to ramping up their business. Remodeling trying to look like department stores. But guess what? The department stores are closing. And "selling" shit to people? I can easily read reviews on Amazon and make a better decision or just buy it myself and give it a shot over some suggestion which is reading the description off the box.

I think he will be the reason why the company will go down in a few years. They're taking the wrong approach to ramping up their business. Remodeling trying to look like department stores. But guess what? The department stores are closing. And "selling" shit to people? I can easily read reviews on Amazon and make a better decision or just buy it myself and give it a shot over some suggestion which is reading the description off the box.

I think the remodels are a smart idea. Target is a higher class, upscale alternative to Walmart in the minds of our guests so it makes sense for us to look the part. Target has something that the failing department stores don’t: low prices. Our prices are low today and every day, and you can get everything you need in a great looking store. At least that’s the goal and the message that corporate is trying to push in their marketing. I think the real problem is going to be convincing consumers that Target has competitive prices with Walmart and Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back