Archived Charging for bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My city is starting a bag tax beginning feb 1st. As usual, there has been no communication on how this works. Is there a sticker you scan, a plu code, or a prompt. If anybody knows it would be really helpful.

My city is starting a bag tax beginning feb 1st. As usual, there has been no communication on how this works. Is there a sticker you scan, a plu code, or a prompt. If anybody knows it would be really helpful.

Good luck.. Knowing Target it will be a cluster..

Good luck.. Knowing Target it will be a cluster..

No, it's actually quite simple, bag taxes are not a new thing.

You ring up all items, then hit total. It asks how many bags you used, you enter how many, then hit enter. Proceed with payment.

No, it's actually quite simple, bag taxes are not a new thing.

You ring up all items, then hit total. It asks how many bags you used, you enter how many, then hit enter. Proceed with payment.
Thanks for the info, I'll spread it to my peeps.

@oath2order 1 pallet of bags is ~$2,800, and I do order them regularly as they are popular. Not to mention the compliance issues with city/state law. So I do ensure my cashiers charge for them. Plus when you charge guests are less likely to want them which means you don't have to bag lol.

In our city the guest pays for bags and we give them a credit if they use their own. So when you hit "total" the register automatically has a prompt screen that follows asking you how many bags. One button is for store bought and the other is for bringing their own. The point being that it is part of the computer system. You won't be able to forget it because every time you hit "total" it's going to ask you. The think you have to remember is how many bags you used....or how many of theirs you used.

Just remember to keep count of how many they used as you're bagging

@oath2order Plus when you charge guests are less likely to want them which means you don't have to bag lol.

Our city/state still gives complimentary plastic bags but if a guest brings their own, they get a 5 cent "coupon" but the cashiers still bag everything...just in the reusable bags.

When our guests found out they'd have to pay for a bag, they'd decline one.
After checking out they'd then go to an empty checklane & grab one before walking out.

Are produce bags included in this? My city doesn't charge, so I'm ignorant on the subject.

I live in California where there is a statewide ban on single-use plastic bags at all grocery and liquor stores. So Target is included. I bring my reusable bags and get a 5 cent discount for each bag I brought, but if I had to buy a bag they're 10 cents each. It looks like it's prompted at the end of the transaction for the cashier to key in the # of bags the guest purchased and/or # of reusable bags guest brought with them.

Our city/state still gives complimentary plastic bags but if a guest brings their own, they get a 5 cent "coupon" but the cashiers still bag everything...just in the reusable bags.

I never backup cashier anymore, but just out of curiosity: if someone decides to just carry their items (say, they bought a pack of gum and a magazine or a couple of 2-liter drinks) do you still scan the 5 cent coupon?

I didn't even know we had the "guest using their own bag" coupon until I'd been at Spot for a month or two- it was never mentioned- I just happened to look down and see it one day. After that I scanned it somewhat inconsistently if guests decided to just carry their items, but I always wonder about this when I buy stuff for lunch or whatever. I'm not using a bag, so I kind of feel like I should get it scanned- especially because I don't use the RedCard, and therefor lose out on my TM discount!

I never backup cashier anymore, but just out of curiosity: if someone decides to just carry their items (say, they bought a pack of gum and a magazine or a couple of 2-liter drinks) do you still scan the 5 cent coupon?

I didn't even know we had the "guest using their own bag" coupon until I'd been at Spot for a month or two- it was never mentioned- I just happened to look down and see it one day. After that I scanned it somewhat inconsistently if guests decided to just carry their items, but I always wonder about this when I buy stuff for lunch or whatever. I'm not using a bag, so I kind of feel like I should get it scanned- especially because I don't use the RedCard, and therefor lose out on my TM discount!
At ours at least this might not be the same everywhere, but after hitting total the screen would say "what type of bags did you use?" And k1 was plastic, k6 was their own, and k8 was none. So if you just carry stuff then you don't pay anything but you also don't get any discounts. That's why even if I'm buying one thing I put it in like a small Victoria's Secret bag that I can fold up and keep in my purse so I can get those 5 cents off lol

We have a super small bags we can give for free, they can fit like one DVD or one video game. Or one bottle of alcohol but other than that we charge for all paper bags.

The worst thing about the bag ban is the people who give you their reuseable bag after you have rung everything up. Now I ask at the beginning of the transactions. "Would you like to buy a bag or do you have your own?"

Oh and everyone who throws their reuseable bags at us? Screw you too, pal.

Last edited:
Good God. Soon theyl be charging admission at the door and .5 per tile you walk on in the store.

Instead of a bag tax, why doesnt the city just open up and provide free recycling?

Our city has it and every single plastic or paper bag I get from a store goes straight into the recycling bin to be picked up every tuesday along with everything else i can rid my house of thats recyclable. Its great.

Whats that bag tax money going toward? City laborers i hope. PROBABLY NOT. I could go on for days about taxes.

Last edited:
Our tax is 7 cents a bag. 1
Good God. Soon theyl be charging admission at the door and .5 per tile you walk on in the store.

Instead of a bag tax, why doesnt the city just open up and provide free recycling?

Our city has it and every single plastic or paper bag I get from a store goes straight into the recycling bin to be picked up every tuesday along with everything else i can rid my house of thats recyclable. Its great.

Whats that bag tax money going toward? City laborers i hope. PROBABLY NOT. I could go on for days about taxes.
My City is the literalworst. Highest property and sales tax, and don't forget the bottle water tax, the soon penny per ounce on all sweetened beverages. All these taxes buy us shitty streets, terrible schools, and we don't even have free garbage pickup. I so want to move to the burbs.

Because most people don't take advantage of that. Their plastic bags go in the trash or are used as garbage liners (also trash )

I don't love the bag ban but it is effective.

All you complaining, in California we have CRV on all bottles and cans are 5 cents (bigger ones are 10 cents) at checkout. But if you save or collect your cans/bottles and take them to the too few recycling center you can get it back lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back