Clocking in - Grace period

That's just expectations though. I'd love to be marked as late 20x and get fired when each time it shows I've clocked in a minute+ before my shift starts. Not my fault the time clock is a 7min walk away from startup and I pass 100 different people and can experience 100 different slow downs to startup as a result. I still clocked in at a designated area before the designated time.
It’s happened. I’ve done it. And for less occurrences. If you are late you are missing important messaging, not warming up for work fully and not in function on time. If you know it’s expectation, and still don’t adhere, you are playing with fire or the om isn’t holding tm’s accountable.

Here's how it works.
You have exactly 5 mins after your scheduled time to clock in, and you're not considered late; however, if you clock in on the 6th minute or later, you're late.
The same rule applies to coming in early. You can clock in 5 mins before your scheduled shift, but the system won't let you clock in any earlier without an override.
Store side, maybe. At a dc 1 min passed scheduled SOS and it is coded absent-late. Not only do you need to be punched in on time, but in the designated start up area on time.

Store side, maybe. At a dc 1 min passed scheduled SOS and it is coded absent-late. Not only do you need to be punched in on time, but in the designated start up area on time.

This is nonsense and illegal. Grow a back bone. They cannot ask you to do ONE thing before you are getting paid, which starts at 6AM or whatever time it is for you. Not even ask you to walk a distance to startup. That's illegal. i had a om do this, and very seriously considered raising a stink, but didn't because i correctly assumed he wouldnt last long anyway.

No mind you this started because this certain OM who was a real piece of work in all areas started mouthing off about "people who clock in at 6 can still be late!". It's like no, no we cant. Period. I dont have to walk 50 yards for target for free.

another thing i see these types of om's do is start startup a minute or three early, like start talking at 5:57. again, technically, they are not allowed to do that, period.

take this to an extreme, what if they told you you had to be in startup unpaid 30 minutes before shift? Well whats the difference? if they want you to be in startup at 6 am, it almost certainly means you have to clock in before 6 am. which you are NOT getting paid for, and you dont have to do anything for target in that time. not even walk anywhere. What if they start saying we want you warmed up for work and ready to go at 6AM next?

hell not even too mention on a2 here half the crew barely lags in to startup at all lol. i find some of them munching down in the breakroom 5 minutes after their startup has started.

reminds me of an cantankerous old fart who picked a fight by pretending to be talking on his phone while standing in startup area before startup just to tell the om he wasn't on the clock and he could do as he pleased lol. Though not sure that one would hold up given the no cell phone policy.

now is it worth pissing off your om over this, provided it stays at a couple minutes? that's another debate. but this is definitely a slippery slope.

Last edited:
Here's how it works.
You have exactly 5 mins after your scheduled time to clock in, and you're not considered late; however, if you clock in on the 6th minute or later, you're late.
The same rule applies to coming in early. You can clock in 5 mins before your scheduled shift, but the system won't let you clock in any earlier without an override.
Your in the distribution section talking about things that apply to the store

take this to an extreme, what if they told you you had to be in startup unpaid 30 minutes before shift? Well whats the difference? if they want you to be in startup at 6 am, it almost certainly means you have to clock in before 6 am. which you are NOT getting paid for

If you’re hourly, shouldn’t you get paid for the extra 3 minutes if you clock in at 5:57? I feel like Target would have been sued years ago if they were requiring people to work off the clock, even for a few minutes.

If you’re hourly, shouldn’t you get paid for the extra 3 minutes if you clock in at 5:57? I feel like Target would have been sued years ago if they were requiring people to work off the clock, even for a few minutes.
They’re not allowed to do anything work related until their actual start time. They’re simply expected to be standing in a certain part of the building when their start time hits.

By some of this “logic” we should be paid for travel time to work? I mean, if some want pay for walking from the time clock to start up, then wouldn’t your drive time be included too? I mean, you wouldn’t be driving to the building, if you were coming to work. See how ridiculous that sounds? So is arguing that the grace period, that allows you NOT to be considered late, should be paid.

By some of this “logic” we should be paid for travel time to work? I mean, if some want pay for walking from the time clock to start up, then wouldn’t your drive time be included too? I mean, you wouldn’t be driving to the building, if you were coming to work. See how ridiculous that sounds? So is arguing that the grace period, that allows you NOT to be considered late, should be paid.
People should be paid for every minute they are on the clock. If the company wants people at a certain spot at a certain time and the time clock is three minutes away from that spot, then yes they should get paid for those three minutes. That's not ridiculous at all.

People should be paid for every minute they are on the clock. If the company wants people at a certain spot at a certain time and the time clock is three minutes away from that spot, then yes they should get paid for those three minutes. That's not ridiculous at all.
The clock is immediately next to the startup area. People are complaining about the 3 minute walk from the entrance to their work startup before they are able to clock in. And that they are considered late if they are walking in the warehouse door at 5:59pm and they dont get to startups which begin at 6pm until 6:02pm.

The clock is immediately next to the startup area. People are complaining about the 3 minute walk from the entrance to their work startup before they are able to clock in. And that they are considered late if they are walking in the warehouse door at 5:59pm and they dont get to startups which begin at 6pm until 6:02pm.

They moved our startup last year. Our time clock is a literal 7min brisk walk from the time clock for the main break room or about a 7min wait using the same clocks as inbound\depal. They are in the process of adding 10 more though.

I'm talking about the 10 minute period before start time when DC can clock in but it is unpaid. If I read this thread correctly, if your start time is 6 and you punch in any time between 5:50 and 5:59, you get counted as clocking in for 6. I say that's bullshit. If you are punched in, you should get paid for every minute.

I'm talking about the 10 minute period before start time when DC can clock in but it is unpaid. If I read this thread correctly, if your start time is 6 and you punch in any time between 5:50 and 5:59, you get counted as clocking in for 6. I say that's bullshit. If you are punched in, you should get paid for every minute.
Its because there can literally be over 100 people per department clocking in and an additional 100+ also trying to clock out. Any warehouse or company with high head count and punches would likely do something similar otherwise everyone would be late all the time.

You're not being asked to clock in at 5:50 and go to work for free. I would usually go sit in the break room and eat a snack or finish my coffee/energy drink or play on my phone. It's not I punched in at 5:50 and my leader than handed me a pile of work to do, and most work areas and start ups are right next to the breakroom.

This is nonsense and illegal. Grow a back bone. They cannot ask you to do ONE thing before you are getting paid, which starts at 6AM or whatever time it is for you. Not even ask you to walk a distance to startup. That's illegal. i had a om do this, and very seriously considered raising a stink, but didn't because i correctly assumed he wouldnt last long anyway.

No mind you this started because this certain OM who was a real piece of work in all areas started mouthing off about "people who clock in at 6 can still be late!". It's like no, no we cant. Period. I dont have to walk 50 yards for target for free.

another thing i see these types of om's do is start startup a minute or three early, like start talking at 5:57. again, technically, they are not allowed to do that, period.

take this to an extreme, what if they told you you had to be in startup unpaid 30 minutes before shift? Well whats the difference? if they want you to be in startup at 6 am, it almost certainly means you have to clock in before 6 am. which you are NOT getting paid for, and you dont have to do anything for target in that time. not even walk anywhere. What if they start saying we want you warmed up for work and ready to go at 6AM next?

hell not even too mention on a2 here half the crew barely lags in to startup at all lol. i find some of them munching down in the breakroom 5 minutes after their startup has started.

reminds me of an cantankerous old fart who picked a fight by pretending to be talking on his phone while standing in startup area before startup just to tell the om he wasn't on the clock and he could do as he pleased lol. Though not sure that one would hold up given the no cell phone policy.

now is it worth pissing off your om over this, provided it stays at a couple minutes? that's another debate. but this is definitely a slippery slope.
Good luck with that one. We have time clocks 15 ft from the start up area. It you are late you are late. Expectation is to be in the start up area, warming up for work, at start of shift.

Its because there can literally be over 100 people per department clocking in and an additional 100+ also trying to clock out. Any warehouse or company with high head count and punches would likely do something similar otherwise everyone would be late all the time.

You're not being asked to clock in at 5:50 and go to work for free. I would usually go sit in the break room and eat a snack or finish my coffee/energy drink or play on my phone. It's not I punched in at 5:50 and my leader than handed me a pile of work to do, and most work areas and start ups are right next to the breakroom.
Well that's a bit of a different story then.

My current job, warehouse, has 10 timeclocks, 1 every other post on both sides of the warehouse. We have about 1000 employees. And only have 1 shift so we all clock in/out at same time. We can clock in 3 minutes til but actually get paid for those 3 minutes. More timeclocks will definitely help!

My stand up is maybe 10 steps from my timeclock. Lol

Back