Archived Confused by Pfresh and QMOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working in a brand new Target store. While I've been trained to some degree in multiple areas (hardlines, softlines, guest services, cashier, dry market, pfresh, back room, etc.) I've primarily been working in Pfresh since the store opened. During my training at another store, someone recommended me for Pfresh.

MOST of the job seemed like common sense.

But now, I feel like I don't know anything at all.

During my initial training, I was told to use my common sense and ask myself if I would buy something. I can generally tell the difference between "ripe" and "rotten" when it comes to softness of avocados. Personally, I don't buy hard avocados, so I wasn't QMOSing the ones that were ripe- just the ones that were TOO soft. I had no idea Target only sold rock-hard avocados.

Then, the STL got on my case about not culling items that were supposed to be QMOSed- most of which I thought looked PERFECTLY fine.

It seemed to me that the STL (being that she's leading a brand new store) wanted everything to be PERFECT. There were even some cases where she told me to QMOS things that weren't necessarily "bad" according to the Food IQ app on the Zebras. (Though, there are cases where the item doesn't match either the Keep nor the Cull picture.

Then, today, I was spoken to about throwing out perfectly good produce. MOST of it was stuff that, in my opinion, was perfectly fine, but looked like stuff the STL told me to QMOS, so I did. I tried explaining that to the Pfresh lead, but it was incredibly uncomfortable because while I do want to defend myself by explaining that I'm just following orders, I also don't want to throw the STL under the bus.

I also had people annoyed with me for putting everything out on the floor and not backstocking even though:

1.) For some reason, we never got our produce truck in yesterday, so we had next to NOTHING on the floor. We were trying to make things look as full as possible with what we had.

2.) In my training, I was told that the facings for the produce coolers weren't as strict because everything has such a short shelf life, so we need to get everything out on the floor as quickly as possible- especially things like berries. Tables are even less strict than the coolers because (even though there may be a location on the Zebra) things don't really have a set location. This made sense to me. Today, we had a large shipment of strawberries, but no raspberries, so it made sense to flex out the strawberries to the raspberry shelf to avoid backstocking any strawberries.

I've also asked several people including the Pfresh lead and the STL about the standards for pulling out nearly expired items. I know that meat can stay out until the night of, but I don't know about the rest of it. NOBODY will tell me how many days in advance certain items need to be pulled. Yet, I know I'll be spoken to if an item is out on the floor longer than it should be.

I'm starting to really worry/freak out about this- especially since, while talking to me about QMOSing good food, the Pfresh lead brought up the 90 day probationary period- which I'm still in.

I'm doing my best. I really am, but with lack of proper training (I was pretty much left alone after 5 minutes of trainin in Pfresh), and conflicting information, I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

I would have a nice sit down with your leader, ETL, STL about the expectations they want for PFresh as ASANTS. Consensus seems to be ~2-3 days out for any dated items.

Every store is slightly different when it comes to quality control and how many days out stuff is purged. Since your store is new, it might take some guess and check before your orders can start leveling out.

Some questions I seem to receive for training are:

How many days to pull Dairy, Meat, Produce?

What $$$ amount can I coupon/tpc (orderable items only)?

How should we be flexing? Do you want dual facings or move all the product as needed?

Can I leave some product that will expire in a few days otherwise the shelf will be empty?

What can be donated? (If you have food banks set up for pickup/some also will only take certain items past date)

That’s all I can think of to start. :) hope it helps somewhat.

Last edited:
Do you have a food team lead? I would address your concerns to him or her or your ETL. Also heck to see if the items can be donated. Because of demands for near-perfect looking P-Fresh departments, a lot of food gets unnecessarily wasted at Target. I have questioned one of my co-team members on a regular basis as to why he is culling product that looks fine and I would probably eat if it were in my refrigerator at home. Not sure, why you would get scolded for flexing out product when the shelves are empty. I have always been told to "be bold" and flex out items when we are out of stock of other products to ensure that the presentation looks full at all times.

I've seen stores have items that have mold on them sitting on the shelves. I'm sure the STL wants to instill good habits to avoid that becoming the culture of the store to let that slide.

You're in a probationary time period, get both together because either one has influence during that time and you're only good with clear direction. Prioritize the direction of the LOD > STL* > ETL > TL > TM that has been given any special responsibility directly from the ETL or higher level. That pecking order should be based on who is in the building then communicate with the TL when someone higher up pulls you away. Priorities are going to change and until you know the business and how you fit in communication and over communicating will have to augment any lack of training.

*The LOD vs STL one is a fuzzy one based on how the leaders work.

The leaders are just expecting too much and want their store to look good in the eyes of the DTL and in reality have no idea what is actually to be done and how to do it the right way.

The whole TL, STL, LOD thing still confuses me.

At my last retail job, we had store managers and department managers. If you have a problem, you first go to your department manager. If it isn't resolved OR the department manager is out that day, you then go to an assistant/associate manager. If things STILL aren't resolved, you go to the head store manager. After that, you contact area management. There's no changing flux of leadership. You just follow the chain of command. (If the department manager is out because it's his/her day off, or he/she is on break, there is usually a stand-in to oversee the department. However, the stand-in cannot authorize everything, which is where a store manager comes in. For example, I was allowed to give my coworkers tasks and manually enter coupons or account credits up to a certain amount, but if a customer demanded a waived shopping fee or an additional discount, I would have to call a manager over.)

What really gets me is when I ask the LOD what I'm supposed to do and s/he tells me to talk to another person who isn't currently LOD.

The whole TL, STL, LOD thing still confuses me.

At my last retail job, we had store managers and department managers. If you have a problem, you first go to your department manager. If it isn't resolved OR the department manager is out that day, you then go to an assistant/associate manager. If things STILL aren't resolved, you go to the head store manager. After that, you contact area management. There's no changing flux of leadership. You just follow the chain of command. (If the department manager is out because it's his/her day off, or he/she is on break, there is usually a stand-in to oversee the department. However, the stand-in cannot authorize everything, which is where a store manager comes in. For example, I was allowed to give my coworkers tasks and manually enter coupons or account credits up to a certain amount, but if a customer demanded a waived shopping fee or an additional discount, I would have to call a manager over.)

What really gets me is when I ask the LOD what I'm supposed to do and s/he tells me to talk to another person who isn't currently LOD.
TL=department manager This isnt fluid.
STL = store manager
LOD is leader on duty. Its the member of the leadership team that was selected to be the effective Head leader this day to the other Exec Team leaders (ie assistant managers) can handle just their areas.

It sounds like you are doing everything right and care more than most people so keep going! The only thing I would do different is keep letting your team lead know what the STL is saying (if they question you) so they can get with them if they have any concerns. You are not throwing your STL under the bus at all. They are the ones that make the final call and if they have a spine will stand by their decisions and remember that you followed through with what they wanted.

It sounds like you are doing everything right and care more than most people so keep going! The only thing I would do different is keep letting your team lead know what the STL is saying (if they question you) so they can get with them if they have any concerns. You are not throwing your STL under the bus at all. They are the ones that make the final call and if they have a spine will stand by their decisions and remember that you followed through with what they wanted.

Truth...I ALWAYS specify what a leader wanted me to have done so they know exactly what all I worked on if something else didnt get done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back