• Yes

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • No

Votes: 97 90.7%
  • Not sure yet

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’ve seen online that some target workers are participating in a strike/sickout on May 1st with Whole Foods, Amazon, and Instacart workers. I didn’t hear anything about it from my own team mates though. I’m thinking about joining the fight but I’m worried it’s not gonna be nationwide. I’m interested in hearing from y’all and what you make of this. I don’t want to get fired but i hate the way they’ve been treating us as disposable. This is the page I’ve been reading about it.

Most of us drink the Kool-aid here. I wouldn't expect much support. I feel only slightly disrespected by the lack of a mandate that all employees wear masks at all times. Otherwise I think Target is doing pretty well with their response.

Our store just received masks yesterday, so our store's rule of everyone having to wear them started yesterday.
I anticipated masks becoming a requirement well beforehand, so I already have my own that some people were kind enough to make for me. I'll leave the disposable ones for those who don't have their own.

I don't work until 9pm on May 1st... that's most of the day off, so that kind of works, I guess.

I don't get the point. What are they hoping or expecting will happen?
All I can think is if 10 TMs at my store call off, here's the result:
- other TMs have to do their work for them
- store management will call in temporary or permanent replacements (LOTS of people are ready and willing to work right now)
- corporate won't even notice, other than maybe a few PR blips on the evening news
- other TMs - who have zero fault in any of this - have to do their work for them

Who is REALLY being affected? I do not think it's who you think it is.

I would argue there is plenty of solidarity here- we are all SOLIDLY annoyed by anything to do with Target Workers Unite. If you spend enough time on this forum, you will find despite the constant complaints, everyone here stands behind Target in some way. We protect what should remain anonymous and what is critical proprietary information.

This whole walkout thing is most likely very localized. Majority of Target workers have no idea about it and will report to work as scheduled that day.

Happy to discuss the merits of walking out, but let's not talk about people's character otherwise.
That’s fair. I will rephrase my removed post.

OP, i don’t think anyone’s mad at you in any way. The website you linked to was created by someone who used to post a lot about unionizing. I’ll leave it at that.

I would argue there is plenty of solidarity here- we are all SOLIDLY annoyed by anything to do with Target Workers Unite. If you spend enough time on this forum, you will find despite the constant complaints, everyone here stands behind Target in some way. We protect what should remain anonymous and what is critical proprietary information.

This whole walkout thing is most likely very localized. Majority of Target workers have no idea about it and will report to work as scheduled that day.
and retribution and retaliation are kinda corporate's thing. Plumbing issues and modification of job descriptions are some favs

Masks and sneeze guards were overdue, and the guest limits are ludicrous.

I applaud the paid vulnerable leave heartily, as most companies are not doing that. In light of the way things are going though, I think it should be extended another month, just like the hazard pay. I also think it's a terrible idea to open up the food services and to start taking back returns. It's way too soon.

IMHO Target is making decent steps to protect the health of its TMs.
  1. Frequent cleaning of the store's front end and many other parts of the store has been going on for almost a month.
  2. Gloves have been available to all TMs for over a month.
  3. Target-provided masks have been available to all TMs for about two weeks, although only on Wednesday did usage become mandatory.
  4. The $2/hour vulnerable pay has been helpful, and one would hope would announce its continuation for another month (on May Day no less).
  5. We are performing sanitary cleaning of all shopping cards and baskets, individually in front of our guests.
  6. We have signage storewide and (in selected areas) floor-installed reminders about social distancing.
  7. We've been limiting the number of guests in the store at any given time - and doing so at a lower count number than required by government authorities.
The only real criticisms I would offer are that the sneeze guards weren't well designed for the remodeled-design registers. We've had some sneeze guards get cracked or broken because they are poorly secured to the register counter. Sometimes it's inadvertent pressing on the sneeze guards by guests, other times it's TMs who reach over for items on the conveyor belt which end up tugging at the flimsy guard assembly, and occasionally it's been overly-zealous cleaning by TMs. The sneeze guard design does NOT extend over the payment card readers or the bagging area. Finally, there are zero sneeze guards at the service desk.

It’s completely ridiculous and won’t have the affect participating team members think it will. Just like someone said here, way to many people who want to work. Be grateful Target isn’t closed.
If Target were closed we would all be furloughed and many of us would be collecting more money on unemployment than if we were working.

Back