Archived coupon question

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I want to say that the hardest guests for me to please are the guests with tons of coupons. I am all for ringing up plenty of coupons, as long as they are used properly. I always politely decline coupons, if they don't apply to the items that they are buying. As soon as I decline some of their coupons, they get really angry, create a scene, and will call corporate right away.

My question is, I had a guest wanting to buy some Tide pods and more laundry products. She had a total of 12 items (4 Tide pods, 4 brand A laundry product, and 4 brand B laundry product). She had target and manufacturer coupons for each one (12 target coupons and 12 manufacturer coupons). The problem was, the target coupons that she had already exceeds the amount of the item, and she was still trying to make us accept her manufacturer's coupon on top of that. I had told her that I can take the target coupons, but won't accept her manufacturer's coupons, because the target coupons will pay for her whole entire purchase. She wasn't too happy with this because she says that she is able to use a manufacturer and target coupon together for a single item.

So my question is, what is the proper procedure for this? She wanted us to give her cash back for the coupon overage, which I told her I cannot do. After I said this, she took my name and will file a complaint to corporate on me.

Well you did the right thing. Anyone who thinks any store anywhere gives "cash back" for coupons over the value of the item is insane. That's just not how coupons work. If it's more than the whole item and the register is clearly not accepting it, then I believe the answer is obvious: the coupon is for a higher-valued item and you should not accept it for whatever they're trying to use it on. Let them call corporate. Corporate isn't interested in satisfying some cheapass who wants them to give the store away.

Do manufacturer coupons first in the future is my suggestion, other than that you did the right thing.

Target loses money for the Target coupons, manufacturer does for the manufacturer coupons. If they have two coupons for the same item, and either one makes it free, it makes sense to use the manufacturers first so the store isn't the one taking the hit. Only time I'd use the Target instead of the manufacturer would be if the guest specifically requested I do so. (It is their coupon, technically they can choose which coupons to use, but if they're just handing me a stack of coupons and not voicing their preference I'm going to do what works best for the store if both scenarios result in the same end price for the guest.)

As Nauzhror suggested, scan the manufacturer's coupons first. If the Target coupons would result in an overage in the end but the POS still accepts them, then I believe the last one(s) would automatically get adjusted down. Manufacturer's coupons are not to be adjusted.

First of all, I want to say that the hardest guests for me to please are the guests with tons of coupons. I am all for ringing up plenty of coupons, as long as they are used properly. I always politely decline coupons, if they don't apply to the items that they are buying. As soon as I decline some of their coupons, they get really angry, create a scene, and will call corporate right away.

My question is, I had a guest wanting to buy some Tide pods and more laundry products. She had a total of 12 items (4 Tide pods, 4 brand A laundry product, and 4 brand B laundry product). She had target and manufacturer coupons for each one (12 target coupons and 12 manufacturer coupons). The problem was, the target coupons that she had already exceeds the amount of the item, and she was still trying to make us accept her manufacturer's coupon on top of that. I had told her that I can take the target coupons, but won't accept her manufacturer's coupons, because the target coupons will pay for her whole entire purchase. She wasn't too happy with this because she says that she is able to use a manufacturer and target coupon together for a single item.

So my question is, what is the proper procedure for this? She wanted us to give her cash back for the coupon overage, which I told her I cannot do. After I said this, she took my name and will file a complaint to corporate on me.
usual procedure is to accept manufacturer coupons first, and then target coupons. the price of the item may not go below zero. if it does then it becomes one or the other. I would be weary of high value coupons they are usually fake. one question though was she buying trial or travel size, because there are no real manufacturer coupons for those. And besides usually the target coupons exclude trial size items. if you are unsure then call the gstl. Hope this helps

Last edited:
best practice is to scan it and see if the pos allows it. usually that's a bad precedent but if the pos can't , well i can't

You are right. If the coupon exceeds the value you use k3 manufacturer or target coupon which ever you use and change the value to the exact value of the coupon and no more. Point the guest to the coupon policy on target.com which states coupon discounts cannot exceed the value of the item.

Almost two years ago when Wal-Mart decided to give cash back on coupon value we changed our policy. Internally we give full value applied to the basket purchase, no cash back. If you search "coupon" on workbench, then Payment methods best practice, Process within payment method, coupons. It's number seven.

Screenshot taken before I left work.

Attachments

• 2014-12-02 19.14.37.jpg
    2014-12-02 19.14.37.jpg
    878.9 KB · Views: 55
Target stores coupon policy
Manufacturer and Target Coupons:

• Target accepts one Manufacturer Coupon and one Target Coupon for the same item (unless prohibited by either coupon).
  • We reserve the right to accept, refuse, or limit the use of any coupon.
  • Limit of 4 identical coupons per household, per day (unless otherwise noted on coupon).
  • All valid coupons should be presented to the cashier during checkout.
  • Item purchased must match the coupon description (brand, size, quantity, color, flavor, etc.).
  • Coupon amount may be reduced if it exceeds the value of the item after other discounts or coupons are applied.
  • We can't give cash back if the face value of a coupon is greater than the purchase value of the item.
  • All applicable sales taxes are paid by the guest.
  • These guidelines apply to all coupons accepted at Target (Color Checkout Coupons, Internet Coupons, •Mobile Coupons, Mailed Coupons, Coupons from Newspapers and Magazines, etc.).
Full info - http://help.target.com/help/subcategoryarticle?childcat=Coupon+policy&parentcat=Promotions+&+Coupons

Target stores coupon policy
Manufacturer and Target Coupons:

• Target accepts one Manufacturer Coupon and one Target Coupon for the same item (unless prohibited by either coupon).
  • We reserve the right to accept, refuse, or limit the use of any coupon.
  • Limit of 4 identical coupons per household, per day (unless otherwise noted on coupon).
  • All valid coupons should be presented to the cashier during checkout.
  • Item purchased must match the coupon description (brand, size, quantity, color, flavor, etc.).
  • Coupon amount may be reduced if it exceeds the value of the item after other discounts or coupons are applied.
  • We can't give cash back if the face value of a coupon is greater than the purchase value of the item.
  • All applicable sales taxes are paid by the guest.
  • These guidelines apply to all coupons accepted at Target (Color Checkout Coupons, Internet Coupons, •Mobile Coupons, Mailed Coupons, Coupons from Newspapers and Magazines, etc.).
Full info - http://help.target.com/help/subcategoryarticle?childcat=Coupon policy&parentcat=Promotions & Coupons
That's only the guest facing rules. Notice the use ofoff the word may. Value may be reduced. Not it will.

Screenshot taken before I left work.

Where exactly is that located? I'd like to print it out for my GSTL. I told him after reading on here before that we aren't supposed to mark down the coupons (we have since I've worked here though) and he pulled up the coupon policy and argued that I was wrong, that the word "may" implied "will".

Almost two years ago when Wal-Mart decided to give cash back on coupon value we changed our policy. Internally we give full value applied to the basket purchase, no cash back. If you search "coupon" on workbench, then Payment methods best practice, Process within payment method, coupons.

Found it, printed it out for my GSTL. He wasn't in today though, so will show him tomorrow.

Found it, printed it out for my GSTL. He wasn't in today though, so will show him tomorrow.

Be careful with that, I used to print out stuff to prove my points and discovered over time that the bosses (at least the bad ones) tend to take that kind of thing kind of personally.
They tend to feel you're being a bit uppity and trying to prove them wrong.
If you can lead them to the post and get them to interpret it in the right way that's a better approach or if you have to print it out try to present it to them in the most none aggressive way possible.

very interesting situation. I would read the fine print of what the item is. we had a lady try to pull this and she got very bitchy that we were adjusting the coupon down and we tried telling her that it is policy than she said "so basically you guys steal from the manufacturer" (rolls eyes) oh I was so happy when she left the store. as long as they are getting the right stuff for the coupon and if evens out to zero that is fine. but none of that overage crap... it clearly says so in the coupon policy so end of story.

very interesting situation. I would read the fine print of what the item is. we had a lady try to pull this and she got very bitchy that we were adjusting the coupon down and we tried telling her that it is policy than she said "so basically you guys steal from the manufacturer" (rolls eyes) oh I was so happy when she left the store. as long as they are getting the right stuff for the coupon and if evens out to zero that is fine. but none of that overage crap... it clearly says so in the coupon policy so end of story.

Except for the part where you are completely wrong and the guest was right. You should not be adjusting manufacturer's coupons. If it is for the correct item and there is overage that is just how it is. The overage will be applied to the rest of the bill because Target is compensated for the full value of the coupon. If you are adjusting a manufacturer coupon, you are committing coupon fraud on Target's behalf.

Not an issue with my GSTL luckily, he's open to criticism, and thanks me for correcting him. He would just want to see the proof that he was wrong rather than me telling him it was something I'd heard/read in some unofficial capacity.

Sometimes this stuff is like Chinese 'rythmatic!

Except for the part where you are completely wrong and the guest was right. You should not be adjusting manufacturer's coupons. If it is for the correct item and there is overage that is just how it is. The overage will be applied to the rest of the bill because Target is compensated for the full value of the coupon. If you are adjusting a manufacturer coupon, you are committing coupon fraud on Target's behalf.

Depends on the coupon. Some are for "up to x off" and you write the price of the item on the coupon, those are still meant to be adjusted accordingly.

Depends on the coupon. Some are for "up to x off" and you write the price of the item on the coupon, those are still meant to be adjusted accordingly.

Those coupons are an exception, which the poster I quoted did not specify. What I am talking about is a different situation. For example:

Product is normally $4.00. For whatever reason this week it is on sale for $2.00. The guest presents a manufacturer's coupon for $3.00. In this case we would not adjust the coupon down to $2.00 just because the item is selling for less than the value of the coupon.

Ok but I thought according to the policy it says the value of the coupon may be reduced if it is for more than the product is. maybe I just misunderstand the policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back