Archived Covering CheckLane

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm officially assigned to the the Sales Floor but the first day of training is on CheckLanes. How often do you peeps get called up or is it pretty rare?

At my store, everyday. I always have to ring up at least a few guests every shift. Many of our sales floor TMs have an attitude about needing to learn cashiering. Even if you hate it, learn how to do it and be nice to the GSAs/GSTLs. Most of mine are pretty cool and will make sure I can get off the register and get back to the floor as quick as possible.

What Doglover said holds very true. When I'm GSAing, if you are quick to respond and willing to help, I'm willing to block your lane and let you go right back to the floor. If I have to fight you to get up there, you'll be fighting to get off.

Hardly ever now that I spend half my time in the BR, but when I was just Flow it was pretty often. Unfortunately the GSA people at my store never really cared about getting us backup cashiers off the lanes, so it wasn't uncommon to go and be stuck up there for 30min-1 hour. ...that's a really good way to ensure TMs stop responding to backup calls!

I leave as soon as I don't have any more guests.

Hardly ever now that I spend half my time in the BR, but when I was just Flow it was pretty often. Unfortunately the GSA people at my store never really cared about getting us backup cashiers off the lanes, so it wasn't uncommon to go and be stuck up there for 30min-1 hour. ...that's a really good way to ensure TMs stop responding to backup calls!
Most of my GSA's are like that too. It really sucks. At my store, we're pretty much running on a skeleton crew, so salesfloor backs up A LOT.

hire enough cashier already, it is 4th quarter and only 2 weeks till back thursday !!
So you're telling me that, with over a hundred guests per hour, one cashier won't be enough? After all, we have someone in softlines, and they only have a few carts of unsorted reshop! Just don't call hardlines, they're covering backroom and pharmacy, and Starbucks.

...that's a really good way to ensure TMs stop responding to backup calls!

And calling them by name and then writing down when they don't respond and/or come up with a bullshit excuse when they don't respond is a really good way to get TM's responding to backup calls.

Virtually every other job is less important than cashiering. Virtually anything else in the store can be postponed with less consequence than having people wait in line longer.

Ignore me when I call for backup, I'll not feel one bit of regret when you get put on CCA as a result.

Last edited:
And calling them by name and then writing down when they don't respond and/or come up with a bullshit excuse when they don't respond is a really good way to get TM's responding to backup calls.

Virtually every other job is less important than cashiering. Virtually anything else in the store can be postponed with less consequence than having people wait in line longer.

Ignore me when I call for backup, I'll not feel one bit of regret when you get put on CCA as a result.
If you are busy enough that you need backup, you should be too busy to be writing down names.

If you are busy enough that you need backup, you should be too busy to be writing down names.

Complete and utter nonsense.

That's like saying if your TM's are massive slackers it's more important to try and work extra hard to make up for their slacking than it is to replace them with harder working TM's.

Not to mention, that if I get on a register I risk being disciplined for it. Cashiering is not my job, me cashiering is more likely to slow down the lines than speed them up because I can't respond to the 5 blinking lights if I am on a register.

As a TM your job is not to simply perform the core roles for your position, it is to be flexible and do what you're told to do so as to meet the stores requirements.

Complete and utter nonsense.

That's like saying if your TM's are massive slackers it's more important to try and work extra hard to make up for their slacking than it is to replace them with harder working TM's.

Not to mention, that if I get on a register I risk being disciplined for it. Cashiering is not my job, me cashiering is more likely to slow down the lines than speed them up because I can't respond to the 5 blinking lights if I am on a register.
Where did I say you needed to get on a register?

@Nauzhror at your store do GSAs/GSTLs ever get on the register for backup? All of ours will except for one. Sometimes we have no other choice. All the salesfloor tms will be up there, even an ETL or two (not the LOD) on occassion

@Nauzhror at your store do GSAs/GSTLs ever get on the register for backup? All of ours will except for one. Sometimes we have no other choice. All the salesfloor tms will be up there, even an ETL or two (not the LOD) on occassion

I do if and only if the LOD specifically asks me to. Typically they ask me to so they can come up and watch the front.

You could be called up to the lanes every 20-30 minutes if you are lucky and stay on them for 20-30 minutes at a time.

I haven't jumped on back up in a long time. I really should get back into it. I need to step it up.

Good convo and valid points. I still have yet to see what I'm expected to do each day (the next 2 weeks). Cashier training tonight! I'm bringing my earphones and PSP so I can at least have fun while I'm there.

...........Completely kidding :)

And that's nice in theory, but when you have TLs getting angry at you for leaving your work center looking like shit or having work half-done because you spent massive chunks of your shift on a register, it's frustrating. Sure, I can tell them I got stuck on the register, but it doesn't change the fact that it puts everyone else in the store way behind, just because we're constantly having to bail out the front end.

That being said, it's not the front end's fault...I just think we should stop bailing them out and maybe it would force the store to schedule more people to be up there during peak hours (or at least fire the people who consistently call off on weekends. seriously- just change your availability if you're never going to come in!)

If my store developed a system for backup calls- ensuring that we're able to get off the lanes quickly and spreading the burden around a bit more fairly, my attitude would be totally different.

Well, in that regard, I have no problem taking the side of the TM. LOD bitches at a TM that I know was on a register for a substantial amount of time and I will speak up, but yes, I agree that really, ideally, salesfloor TM's should't need to respond to backup, because there should be enough cashiers scheduled so that everyone can do what they're scheduled to do, but that sort of seems like a pipe dream unfortunately.

I get called up at least three times a day for a minimum of a half hour each. Not to mention the huddles (aka doing gobacks) three times a day. That's at least three hours taken away from the department's task list (and that's only one team member). I guess I'm not flexible enough for this b.s. It didn't used to be this way and that's what pisses me off the most. Initially they blamed it on the credit hack and now it's just an everyday occurrence. It's a wonder more target stores aren't attempting to unionize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back