Archived CVS Pharmacy @ Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worse is what about pay, vacation, 401k, seniority? All of our pharmacy team members have been with Target 5 years +,what will happen to all of that? Plus we have 1 part time technician that works in the store 10-15 hours a week, will this tech be allowed to remain working for Target and CVS with a huge cut in pay since technicians make 3 to 4$ more an hour depending where they live?

I am very curious how the registers, OTC and will target product be allowed to be purchased at the pharmacy. But right now we really need to ask about all the team members that are affected and support them thru this hard transition. The worse is not knowing how it will affect them short and long term.

I don't think we need to worry about the details of things like supplies, banking the drawers and all that type of stuff right now. Details like that are better left until corporate knows more about what's going on. What would be nice to know is how our team will be affected.

I would imagine the only plans in place right now are rough sketches of what the business will look like, for both Target and CVS.

Worse is what about pay, vacation, 401k, seniority? All of our pharmacy team members have been with Target 5 years +,what will happen to all of that? Plus we have 1 part time technician that works in the store 10-15 hours a week, will this tech be allowed to remain working for Target and CVS with a huge cut in pay since technicians make 3 to 4$ more an hour depending where they live?

I am very curious how the registers, OTC and will target product be allowed to be purchased at the pharmacy. But right now we really need to ask about all the team members that are affected and support them thru this hard transition. The worse is not knowing how it will affect them short and long term.
With buyouts team members will keep their seniority, and will be offered similar pay with CVS. Target product will most likely not be allowed to be bought at CVS. It's their own business. CVS will most likely have their own OTC product on display in front of the pharmacy.

With buyouts team members will keep their seniority, and will be offered similar pay with CVS. Target product will most likely not be allowed to be bought at CVS. It's their own business. CVS will most likely have their own OTC product on display in front of the pharmacy.
I disagree. I don't see CVS letting newly hired Target pharmacy employees keep their seniority. Certainly wouldn't sit well with CVS employees. How can you tell a long term CVS employee with say 8 yrs of service, that a newly hired Target employee now outranks them in pay and vacation. As for similar pay, depends what CVS's pay scale is. If Target's is higher, I don't believe that they will pay newly hired Target employees more than people that have been with them for years. Just wouldn't make good business sense since the original CVS employees will outnumber the Target employees.

I disagree. I don't see CVS letting newly hired Target pharmacy employees keep their seniority. Certainly wouldn't sit well with CVS employees. How can you tell a long term CVS employee with say 8 yrs of service, that a newly hired Target employee now outranks them in pay and vacation. As for similar pay, depends what CVS's pay scale is. If Target's is higher, I don't believe that they will pay newly hired Target employees more than people that have been with them for years. Just wouldn't make good business sense since the original CVS employees will outnumber the Target employees.

It has been confirmed and is in writing (email, rather) that all employees offered positions at CVS will maintain their current rate of pay. Benefits are a different story, however a 5 year team member with Target will now be a 5 year employee with CVS and will receive vacation time as would have been accrued as a CVS employee of the same tenure. On the other hand pensions for employees before 2009 are affected, 401(k) will need to be cashed out or rolled over, and medical/dental/etc will be handled by CVS insurance programs.

I am very upset about this. Probably irrationally so. I really love Target Pharmacy for the pill bottles and because it's not CVS. Now it's literally going to be CVS. I hate CVS. And what will happen to my fancy pill bottles?!

It has been confirmed and is in writing (email, rather) that all employees offered positions at CVS will maintain their current rate of pay. Benefits are a different story, however a 5 year team member with Target will now be a 5 year employee with CVS and will receive vacation time as would have been accrued as a CVS employee of the same tenure. On the other hand pensions for employees before 2009 are affected, 401(k) will need to be cashed out or rolled over, and medical/dental/etc will be handled by CVS insurance programs.

Is the email from Target or CVS? Once the buyout goes through that may not be the reality for the former Target employees. Oftentimes when a company acquires another company, you eliminate any overlap or inefficiencies. Gotta keep the stockholders happy.

Is the email from Target or CVS? Once the buyout goes through that may not be the reality for the former Target employees. Oftentimes when a company acquires another company, you eliminate any overlap or inefficiencies. Gotta keep the stockholders happy.

I've experienced acquisitions before, and I know that while statements of intent are made, nothing is guaranteed. For the sake of those around me I'm trying to remain positive. For that reason also, I am not sharing the majority of things I have seen during acquisitions as they have been ugly.

I been in involed in two buy outs before, and that's the way it worked. There is actually a federal law protecting employees regarding this issue. Target team members WILL keep their years of service. You have to look at like this...there isn't a "newly hired target employee". When CVS buys Target...it's one company, and it's basically like those Target employees always worked for CVS. When American Airlines bought us air they didn't ask all those U.S. Air workers to start over...it's just the way it is.

Last edited:
I been in involed in two buy outs before, and that's the way it worked. There is actually a federal law protecting employees regarding this issue. Target team members WILL keep their years of service. You have to look at like this...there isn't a "newly hired target employee". When CVS buys Target...it's one company, and it's basically like those Target employees always worked for CVS. When American Airlines bought us air they didn't ask all those U.S. Air workers to start over...it's just the way it is.

Exactly like this. CVS will want itself to remain attractive to the current Target Pharmacy staffs so the transition will be as peaceful and smooth as possible, with those offered positions feeling they are getting a better deal. The current staff will likely not want to take a pay cut to work in the Target store, even if Target were their preferred company. Keeping the established staff while rebranding will make it appear to the patients and guests that nothing is seriously changing, except the glossy, cool, and new perks they want to make visible.

Also, the work involved in rebranding and retrofitting everything into existing pharmacies may be pretty intense. Stores may have to create a temporary pharmacy elsewhere in the store while the current ones are remodelled. Due to the movement of HIPAA documents and other such details, current pharmacy staff will be necessary to handle the workloads. If CVS were to immediately lose 1/3 of the staff the Target pharmacy currently has, a move like this would be that much more difficult.

To be honest, it's my prediction that the held staff will be used as work horses to make the transition occur as seamlessly as possible, then once the CVS pharmacy is in place and running the cuts will occur. By this time the pharmacy staff (technicians specifically) will be CVS employees who may have had to have been demoted into part time positions due to reduced payroll budget or maybe laid off altogether if the budget doesn't fit and there are no neighboring stores with open employment. These are the same employees that would have been removed from Target already, and would not have the open option to transfer back into the store. As bleak as that sounds, it would mirror what I have witnessed elsewhere.

Here's the MAJOR issue with pay...many Target techs are at/above the current CVS pay caps. They will have the option to offer us comparable positions at our current pay rate (meaning current TLs would be offered Lead Tech roles with CVS). However, even if they keep us beyond the "transition period," we would most likely not receive any future raises beyond our current pay rate.

AFA "technology," (phones, registers) it has yet to be determined whether we will keep the current Target systems or change to CVS. The reason we may keep existing systems is that it allows us to ring out store items & for calls to be transferred to/from the store. Now, here's the "nice" part....if we ARE allowed to ring out Target items, we also "might" get to keep our EE discount, like the former Kodak EEs.

Exactly like this. CVS will want itself to remain attractive to the current Target Pharmacy staffs so the transition will be as peaceful and smooth as possible, with those offered positions feeling they are getting a better deal. The current staff will likely not want to take a pay cut to work in the Target store, even if Target were their preferred company. Keeping the established staff while rebranding will make it appear to the patients and guests that nothing is seriously changing, except the glossy, cool, and new perks they want to make visible.

Also, the work involved in rebranding and retrofitting everything into existing pharmacies may be pretty intense. Stores may have to create a temporary pharmacy elsewhere in the store while the current ones are remodelled. Due to the movement of HIPAA documents and other such details, current pharmacy staff will be necessary to handle the workloads. If CVS were to immediately lose 1/3 of the staff the Target pharmacy currently has, a move like this would be that much more difficult.

To be honest, it's my prediction that the held staff will be used as work horses to make the transition occur as seamlessly as possible, then once the CVS pharmacy is in place and running the cuts will occur. By this time the pharmacy staff (technicians specifically) will be CVS employees who may have had to have been demoted into part time positions due to reduced payroll budget or maybe laid off altogether if the budget doesn't fit and there are no neighboring stores with open employment. These are the same employees that would have been removed from Target already, and would not have the open option to transfer back into the store. As bleak as that sounds, it would mirror what I have witnessed elsewhere.
Exactly....CVS can't really "afford" to lose the current staff initially. It's not like they have an over abundance of staff who can just waltz in and work Day 1 at the newly acquired stores. That being said, I agree 100% that it will "most likely" happen 6-12 months down the road by either cutting hours to the point people are basically forced to leave or simply finding a reason to fire them (which they have been known to do....and are also currently in litigation with a number of former employees for wrongful termination, not surprisingly). It will be interesting to see what DOES happen, particularly if employees with absolutely spotless records under Target all of a sudden get terminated under CVS for performance/other issues once this is done....particularly those on the higher end of the pay scale ;)

I was told the team members have to work exclusively for cvs. Conflict of interest my Stl said. No more cashier hours.

Have to say...this is actually a good move for Target. Pharmacy was a way to get people in the door but is a small margin business that Target doesn't have as much expertise in that CVS, Rite Aid, and Walgreens do. They also don't have nearly as many stores and people have to walk a ways to get to the pharmacy at a big box store, so it lacks the convenience factor. Now they just pulled in 2 billion to cover the Canada fiasco and still get the foot traffic having a pharmacy generates. Besides, with all the people on here saying "CVS sucks" etc...what was Target's pharmacy reputation? Target Pharmacy, deserved or not, does not have the name recognition that CVS, Walgreens or Rite Aid has. That may actually lead to MORE people coming into Target, not less. And CVS is paying to lease the space.

Only thing that will be weird is when CVS realizes they can't turn a profit with those same money losing pharmacies (and they will)...will Target just not have a pharmacy anymore? I assume they wouldn't resume operation of those same pharmacies.

What are the chances the retrofit and rebranding will be like the mannequin thing and be foisted off onto signing, pmt, and outside contractors?

A scary thought from the press release:
Target is likely to lay off more employees following the $1.9B sale of its pharmacy and retail clinic business to CVS Health later this year.

Of course. All hq people and district leadership will be laid off. Cvs has their own dtls.

I'm thinking in areas that don't have a CVS presence that the district/group people have a better shot at keeping a similar position (considering they already have experience managing several pharmacies at a district level/etc).

Just a thought, as I'm in an area without CVS currently.

I'm transferring my prescriptions to a local. How much more could it be?

Probably a lot more...independent pharmacies don't have $4 generic programs like big box pharmacies have (but who knows what insurance will contribute,etc.) I'm probably transferring my script to Kroger.

Only thing that will be weird is when CVS realizes they can't turn a profit with those same money losing pharmacies (and they will)...will Target just not have a pharmacy anymore? I assume they wouldn't resume operation of those same pharmacies.

Wall it off, put up some light-duty shelving...and it becomes more backroom/storage space! Just like what happened to Taco Bell at my store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back