Archived Do You Like Being "Engaged?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got coached for not engaging enough at SCO and before that coached for not pushing enough Target Red (not REDcard). I say hi to everyone at SCO and ask everyone about TR now so my GSA/GSTL can hear if they walk by. I don't make small talk after my "do you know about Target Red and the 1% you get back when you use it?" script.

As a guest? I don't mind the questions. I know the cashier is doing their job and they don't really care about my life. I wouldn't shut them up. Just answer everything!

I'm not up front but I don't engage with every guest I walk by or stop and speak with them. I treat guests how I'd want to be treated and not be bothered unless I need assistance.

The whole engaging every guest tactic is stupid. Luckily my store the person watching self checkout doesn't have to push red card, make conversation, etc. Their basically there just to oversee it's running smooth and assist when need be

Not at SCO, but sometimes I catch myself losing the great engagement with guests when I'm feeling extra pressure and trying to do things right. It sucks because I genuinely want to be able to task and provide great service and be able to do both well, but sometimes (like tonight) when we have shortages on team member support (i.e. call-ins), and I'm dealing with a rude guest, it can make it additionally difficult to make the situation. I had a guest that wanted a clearance romper we had and I told him that unfortunately I looked where it would be (clearance, or possibly still in the brand itself) and he got mad because he said I didn't look enough and that I was rushing to get away from him. Which, yeah, we don't have it. When it says one on hand for clearance, it's usually a tough call due to external shortage like theft and other factors. I don't know, but it really frustrated me, because I really do mean well. I have been working to try to pay attention to how I'm servicing the guests and have gotten better with unique individual approaches, but it really is a lot easier when there's that barrier of a register. I feel like I interact with guests more positively when I'm cashiering. I guess mostly it's because they are coming to me by their own choice whereas on the sales floor I may be unintentionally bothering them. Of course, my awesome guest experiences today were well beyond that one crappy experience, but eh. It gets frustrating.

SCO is supposed to engage guests too?! That defeats the entire point of SCO!

Corporate must be full of nothing but the super popular/outgoing kids from middle school, because they can’t seem to get it through their thick skulls that not everyone enjoys interacting with people.

I stopped going to stores that have greeters a few years ago, because my anxiety was just too high- I had to sit in the parking lot and psych myself up to go in. With the total obsession of making us basically stalk our guests I’m kinda shocked we DONT have greeters at this point.

(Ok- the stalking comment was overboard- but they’re taking the “guests first” idea to a total extreme, IMO, at the expense of basically every other task in the store. Guests aren’t gonna care if you were thoughtful enough to ask them about their cat or an upcoming vacation if they can’t find the product they’re looking for. ...or maybe that’s the point? Keep our floors so empty/messy that guests HAVE to interact with us?!) :rolleyes:

Yes, but I am a yakker. I have learned to tune into one guest at a time, and those who signal, GO AWAY, then I do. Lately, engaging means hearing complaints about no cashiers. Lots of comments about not returning. I believe them. Business is slower. So it's stressful. I liked our guest experience matters direction better. Now, they either self check or wait a spell.

I chat with guests because I am paid to. I also generally like people and doing my job well.

Hate cashiering with a passion though. It is so boring. I hate the monotony. If you don't like being super engaging, self checkout isn't the place for you. You have to be nosy but at the same time not intrusive and it is a careful balance.

I mean when I started at self-checkout, my GSTL informed me that I had to be closer to the registers to monitor the guests, but he never told me that I had to engage with each of them individually and push the RedCard.

I basically agree with CallMeTaylor that not all guests want interaction unless they need help with something.

I'm highly suspicious of cashierking. If you guys want to reply to their threads knock yourself out. #trollingberolling
They see me Spotting, they hatin'.
Corporate just tryna catch me postin' dirty.

SCO is supposed to engage guests too?! That defeats the entire point of SCO!
My goddamn face conveyed that exact same sentiment as I'm getting GSTL'd about how some "undercover" person came through my SCO and noticed I failed to engage them.

If you want to have an afternoon tea and crackers conversation with someone at a store, GO THROUGH THE FUCKING REGULAR CHECK LANES!

Or go talk to Softlines. Ask them where you can find this exact color/size but also ask them what the thread count is and if it's made from responsibly-sourced cotton.

Last edited:
I use self checkouts at stores other than Target to avoid having to talk to people because I'm super introverted. I hate making small talk with strangers and I don't want to be bothered about store credit cards, rewards programs, etc.
There are cashier TMs that seem to love to point out how I don't have a redcard and start insisting I get one. First, I work here, don't fucking give me the card speech. Second, if I wanted a redcard, I'd have one by now so again, don't fucking give me the card speech. I started using the self checkouts at work because of those people.

I use self checkouts at stores other than Target to avoid having to talk to people because I'm super introverted. I hate making small talk with strangers and I don't want to be bothered about store credit cards, rewards programs, etc.
There are cashier TMs that seem to love to point out how I don't have a redcard and start insisting I get one. First, I work here, don't fucking give me the card speech. Second, if I wanted a redcard, I'd have one by now so again, don't fucking give me the card speech. I started using the self checkouts at work because of those people.
It may be just a robotic habit.

If they're wearing red and khaki, I don't say anything else beyond "how are you?" They know my script. Odds are one of them trained me in something.

Engaging isn't really what you think engaging means.

Engaging means being alert, letting everyone know you are there, by saying hi, asking how their days are going, helping them take their empty baskets, opening bags for them, talking about their cartwheel deals and coupons and how they can save an extra 5% with a Redcard.

It really surprises me how many people go into a cashier position not wanting to talk to people... my brother's girlfriend wanted to apply to work at my store as a cashier so I told her to call in to the store and ask for HR to see what positions are open for her and she goes "Well... no, I don't wanna call." and I ask her "Why?" and she responds with "I have social anxiety."

I'm a hypocrite, though, because when I first started working at Target, I didn't want to talk either. I didn't want to engage. I didn't want to see how people were doing, I was shy. Cashiering was my gateway to relieving that social anxiety, to stop being shy, to be social, to converse with people... to give great customer service. It's quite easy for me to now make small talk and my experience cashiering has turned me on to the world of Sales and Entrepreneurial passion.

Just talk to people, GSTLs understand that SCO usually means people do not want to talk, so make it quick and short. I only pitched redcards when I saw a lot of coupons or cartwheel being used. People go into a store already knowing they're gonna get bothered while checking out, so might as well get it over with. Anyone has a problem with it, tell them it's your job. It's your job to engage guests at SCO, to interact, and make your presence known at SCO to the customers checking out or waiting in line...

In the end, if a customer has an issue or needs help, it makes them much more comfortable knowing you're willing to talk and help instead of just seeing a brain dead zombie standing at the front of SCO not making eye contact with anyone and saying a monotonous "have a good day." to everyone like a robot.

So, engage, talk to people, you don't have to pitch the redcards unless your GSTL is watching you. If I'm working SCO all day and haven't been watched and the GSTL comes over and asks how my redcard talks are going, I say "ohh they're going great! I've gotten a few people to possibly sign up at home or that they'll think about it!" when in reality... I haven't really talked about them at all.

At my store, the self-checkout attendant is expected to "engage" every guest, i.e. push the store card, make conversation, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most people go to self checkout for the sole purpose of not being bothered with forced conversation?

Secondly, if you are checking out at a register, do you want to be "thoroughly engaged," i.e. do you want the cashier to ask you numerous open-ended questions that have been prepared and scripted by the supervisors, i.e. "What are your summer plans?" or "I see you're buying back-to-school items, are your kids looking forward to school? What grade are they going into?" And things like that. Or is a gentile smile, nod, and a simple "Hi, how are you" sufficient?" What is your ideal "engagement" preference when shopping? Thanks!!!
I don't want to be "engaged" to a checkout. That's a way for them to scam you when you scan your own stuff to double scan and you don't pay attention to how much you pay and it's a win for Target. And why would you force people to get a Red Card? People are aware of it. If they are interested, they will inquire and apply on their own time. Walgreens doesn't push their Rewards card which in my opinion is more beneficial to the customer than another credit or debit card.

I use self checkouts so these cashier coworkers stay out of my personal life ie to know what I eat or drink, personal care goods etc because it will be a topic in the team breakroom especially when I find something super cheap on clearance and they would start blabbering. Same with the fucking red card. Cash is king. And many times they wouldn't even wait for me to give them the TM discount to scan. Or take away my time from my break by opening a convo going on and on. Especially that one old lady who would just go talking on and on, like shut up already. Especially when she starts talking about random stuff.

Well. I just asked a guest if I could help him find anything. His response?

“Did I ask you...”

The nerve of some people. Clearly he doesn’t like being engaged.

Well. I just asked a guest if I could help him find anything. His response?

“Did I ask you...”

The nerve of some people. Clearly he doesn’t like being engaged.
That's what MR. CORPORATE needs to see/hear

It may be just a robotic habit.

Asking out of habit I understand. It's the fact that they bug me about it after I say I don't have or want one.

But seriously, @citrusapple , why not have a redcard? I don't understand. You work here, shop here. You don't want to save 5%?

Nah, I'm good.
I don't use credit cards because I can't trust myself with them. The only reason I even have a debit card is so I can make online orders. I cash my paychecks and I only put money into the checking account when I'm going to make an online order. People think I'm nuts for not doing everything the "convenient" way but this works for me and I have no debt.

Asking out of habit I understand. It's the fact that they bug me about it after I say I don't have or want one.

Nah, I'm good.
I don't use credit cards because I can't trust myself with them. The only reason I even have a debit card is so I can make online orders. I cash my paychecks and I only put money into the checking account when I'm going to make an online order. People think I'm nuts for not doing everything the "convenient" way but this works for me and I have no debt.
When I want to do an online order, I buy a prepaid card. True, I pay a fee but I'm not going to spend spend spend. And I'm not going to get hacked. Also if it's a website like Amazon or eBay, I would buy a giftcard and pay with that especially that I know I'm not going to return it to lose $$. I can't trust myself with credit cards either. I budget myself and set aside into the saving account to have something for a rainy day or retirement. I have been buying a lot on Amazon only because the prices were too hard to pass up. But I still saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back