Archived Does anyones Backroom not have air conditioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hot a shit here. People are sweating though the back of their shirts. It's not even that it's not there they just won't turn it on and only uses it for the floor

We have shit AC but the PMT also installed fans at key locations. It's not that bad.

Our backroom does not have ac. We have 1 huge floor fan on one end and another mounted over the door entrance. It could be worse.

My backroom is around 80 degrees but feels like the 90's.. Being in the south doesn't help. Floor temp is about 72.

Backroom temp should be in the low 70's or Backroom should be allowed to wear shorts to work in

Ours feels like an underground concrete bunker and even though we are located in a temperate climate, it remains around 80 with 98090% humidity back there. O/n: always wear shorts and t-shirt even in winter. Day-side: sadly no such luck So we just sweat like a pig.

[All cheery] "Hello GS. Here's your guest requested items from the backroom!" *Perspiration dripping on each item as the guest about gags*

AC is a constant battle in our store. We always have one or more going down and the AC guys try to fix it but usually doesn't last long.

The store I worked for has ac in the backroom. Usually the AC works throughout the store, except for the office area every once in awhile.

Last edited:
We got the AC the big question is do they turn it on. well they do when the DTL comes through. other than that we just have to put up with that swamp feeling.

to save the money they say but then why are our lot lights like always on? I mean like all the bloody time.

The AC is controlled by FMOC. Whenenver one goes down, we have to wait for the AC tech to come out. To show Target logic: the sales floor can be warm for months but the minute the office areas are warm, the STL freaks out and better be done today.

We got the AC the big question is do they turn it on. well they do when the DTL comes through. other than that we just have to put up with that swamp feeling.

to save the money they say but then why are our lot lights like always on? I mean like all the bloody time.

I remember our store use to turn the lights off at night. Seems like they're on all night

It's stupid as shit to have a store so hot the guests are complaining and the TM's have to sweat through their shirts.

Go into ANY walmart and it's ice cold and everyone's happy.

And that's NO SHIT!

I just can't see how stores run without AC when the stores in the San Fernando Valley , where temperature average about 87 and max out at 115, run them all the time.

As a PMT I feel as though I might be able to shed some light on how AC works at the store level. Every store has a certain amount of 'units' on the roof. You have RTUs, and DHUs. RTU stands for Roof Top Unit, and DHU stands for Dehumidification Unit. Stores that have had a Pfresh remodel have an additional DHU over Market, either a Munters, or Seasons 4. Every unit has a corresponding sensor, which come in the way of small, square thermostats, typically mounted on sales floor columns, and in some cases walls.

Every unit has 1, 2, or 3 compressors. They don't all kick on at the same time. Each thermostat has a temperature set point, determined by corporate, and when the zone reaches a certain temperature, the unit will begin to cool. The amount of cooling it will send inside, depends on the temperature of the zone. If the cooling set point is 70, and the zone temp at the thermostat is 71, the unit will run on one compressor as it doesn't need full cooling to get the zone temp satisfied. If that one stage of cooling doesn't cool the area fast enough, the second, or third compressor will kick on to bring the zone temp back below the set point, at which point, cooling will turn off.

At least 2, (sometimes more) units will also allow a certain amount of outside air in at all times, regardless of temp, to maintain appropriate pressure in the store.

DHUs work the same as RTUs, the only differences being they also monitor humidity, and when a sensor reads high humidity in a certain zone, the attached DHU will kick on to take moisture out of the air.

If a certain area of the store feels hotter than others, it could be a few things. It could be that the unit isn't working properly (broken fan belt, dirty filters, electrical issue, alarm), there could be something giving the zone sensor a false reading (fans blowing on it), or the zone could be satisfied, and you personally just don't feel comfortable.

Your PMT has an app on his or her iPad that can be used to see the current status of every zone, set points, discharge air temps, which compressors are running, etc. Its a great tool, and I'm sure the PMT wouldn't mind showing you if you were genuinely curious and asked nicely.

In other words, it stays uncomfortably warm.

Yeah it is sad that you have to go outside to cool off and the outside temp is in the upper 80's to low 90's. Have to say that our one backroom is always cooler than the sales floor. I have taken to wearing a headband and changing them at times 2 times a day. It wouldn't be so bad if I stayed in one spot all day but do hardline shifts and you are running around all day.

Yeah it is sad that you have to go outside to cool off and the outside temp is in the upper 80's to low 90's. Have to say that our one backroom is always cooler than the sales floor. I have taken to wearing a headband and changing them at times 2 times a day. It wouldn't be so bad if I stayed in one spot all day but do hardline shifts and you are running around all day.
I highly doubt there is anywhere in your store that is above 90° with the exception of the food ave pizza oven.

I've been 'volunteering' to FIFO the walk-in a LOT since the vents around FA & SB don't seem to be working worth a damn.
I'm sweating like a hooker in the Sahara but my freezer looks abs fetch.

I highly doubt there is anywhere in your store that is above 90° with the exception of the food ave pizza oven.
As I sad when doing hardline shift is when it is bad. But I guess it is more a humidity problem than a temp problem. Guess I should have been more specific than I was. But it still feels like it is hotter than the outside temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back