Archived Does anyones Backroom not have air conditioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been 'volunteering' to FIFO the walk-in a LOT since the vents around FA & SB don't seem to be working worth a damn.
I'm sweating like a hooker in the Sahara but my freezer looks abs fetch.
FA/SB is tough, if it's near the front of the store, you have a lot of outside air coming in with the doors, also most stores have windows around their cafes. Not to mention the Pizza Hut oven, and exhaust hood above it pulling air out.

Last edited:
As I sad when doing hardline shift is when it is bad. But I guess it is more a humidity problem than a temp problem. Guess I should have been more specific than I was. But it still feels like it is hotter than the outside temp.

'Comfortable' means something different to each individual. Some people may be fine shopping or working in 80°, some may prefer 65°. This is why Target chooses to maintain a happy medium. Most zone temps will be satisfied at the 70° mark. Plus, if every store had full heating and cooling on to maintain super low or super high temps, it would just be another nail in the coffin for the company. The cost of energy and constant maintenance would be astronomical.

I sure as hell wouldn't call it a "happy medium."

More like a pissed-off medium!

And why are walmarts ice-cold???

Wally World is a veritable plethora interesting people that our humid swamp stores would set off in a mullet powered frenzy of odd shaped chromosomes. the cooler it is, to a point, the more docile the crowd.

It's so hot in the backroom that sometimes we go stand in the freezer or dairy cooler to cool off

Our backroom has ac but it doesn't work worth a crap. The bulk side stays pretty comfortable light duty totally different. I grew up ( still here) in the South and also grew up working on my family's farm. So, I don't mind sweating BUT I have a issue sweating my butt off and then people from the salesfloor come through and say Oh my you are all sweaty. Really? Well, I wonder why ? Don't get me started on the breakroom...its hot and very very humid in there. So, even on break you cant cool down. I have gotten to the point I will go stand in the walk in cooler for a min or so. Yesterday, I went to open the door to cool off...and there were two fellow backroom tms in there. Great minds think alike :)

The store I worked for has ac in the backroom. Usually the AC works throughout the store, except for the office area every once in awhile.

I should add that both the backroom and the sales floor is both around 75. So it's comfortable, probably more so than in other areas because we don't have to deal with the humidity.

They finally replaced all our A/C units (now that was a rough week right there) and now it's actually colder in the BR than on the salesfloor.

The only room that has AC working fine is the training room. The one room in the whole store no one cares about.

I just can't see how stores run without AC when the stores in the San Fernando Valley , where temperature average about 87 and max out at 115, run them all the time.

I know your pain.. My old Tarzana apartment would be 85 with the AC almost full blast all day.

The store I work in is really hot. I am a cashier so I don't know if our backroom has a/c. I hope so but the guys who work back there always look super sweaty and hot. We are in the Southwest and our summer temps have been higher than usual this year, reaching 116 some days.

At first I thought it was just me. I was sweating like a pig and could feel it running down my back. I am a new employee so I don't want to complain but...it seems like the customers would shop longer and buy more stuff if they weren't so hot.

One day after my shift ended I went shopping in the store. An old lady was hanging onto the end of a shelf and sweating bullets. I thought she might faint. I encouraged her to hang onto the handle of my cart and walk slowly over to the frozen food aisles to cool off. We hung out there and chatted until she felt better.

I just know that I can't wait to leave after my shift is over and blast the a/c in my car all the way home. Yuck!

We have AC but it must suck or something because it's always so hot at the checklanes. I get so sweaty during my shift and I'm really just standing there. Guests complain all the time about how hot it is. But if I go outside and then come back in, the store does feel significantly cooler than outside so idk

PMTs have no control over temperature but are responsible for the follow up. They monitor temps through an app and try to get FMOC to adjust and if FMOC can't fix then they have to send the AC guy out which can take days because it's not considered an emergency to fix and if a part needs replaced, that unit won't be functioning right for awhile. If the PMT is not available, the LOD should be making calls to get the AC adjusted

Our A/C works. Why else would bored housewives walk around in circles drinking their iced soy lattes and spending money on mindless shit? If it was hot and humid in the store, they'd go elsewhere.
It works in the backroom. It's freezing in the break room. It's probably warmest at Starbucks.

TLDR, but, the way I solved this for my team was to find the thermostats and tape a piece of plastic over them to seal it. Greenhouse effect raised temp and the thermostat would trigger the a.c. to run constantly because it could never reach the desired temp.

Worked for a long time and the stl raged about the electric but never called anyone. If you have a sharp pmt they might figure it out, but it's unlikely.

Edit: for what it's worth, ours would only kick on once it hit 80 degrees.

Receiving doesn't have ac because it that room was added on to the building years later and the alcove/bulk area doesn't have it because it was part of the old garden area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back