Archived Does your store have lazy/unproductive GSTL/GSA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullseyerc

GSTL
Im not going to lie. I can be quite lazy. My 15's can turn into lunches. I Spend my time on my phone or sit in the office while there is a blinky going off at times because I am either A)Extremely tired/depressed, B) Don't feel I am compensated fairly for the job I do, C) Just being lazy. Then I have shifts where I am consistently proactively greeting our guests and actively on the floor speed weaving, driving red card sales, etc. Office time is usually spent on my closing shifts when it's dead.. my cashiers don't care and tell me I work so much and deserve my breaks. We also have a rule at my store that GSTL/GSAs are absolutely forbidden from doing any "maintenance" work and that we are to direct the cart attendant, other team members, and sometimes cashiers to do those tasks like pushing carts, gathering go backs and hangers, etc. Then again I consistently provide amazing guest experience to our guests, meet red card goal, and have overall great leadership. Me and the ETLs hang out in the office, eat snacks, and gossip too and laugh. It's like they don't care. What are your experiences with this?

No one at my store real keeps tracks of TMs/Leaders lunches or breaks. I find breaks that turn into 20 minutes tops is okay, defiantly ok as long as there is reasonable coverage. I won't feel bad what so ever. My lunch is always back on time though.

All my store's GSTLs/GSAs however seem amazing. There is one GSA though who seems to just hate life. If we talk about ETLs though, different story.

A lot of my GSAs tend to forget things 5 minutes after to ask or tell them... When I was cashiering I use to ask "hey do we need to work any reshop out?" or work any pulls etc and they'd be like "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh let me check" then when there is stray to work on they put someone else on that task. One time I asked and 2 minutes later they put someone else on the job.

I felt a lot of favoritism amongst my GSAs and GSTLs towards other cashiers, and I definitely wasn't on the list of favorites for whatever reason. I thought I'd proven my prowess as a flexible cashier, doing carts, doing reshop quickly and right, zoning good, and being really friendly to just about everyone and basically always smiling and doing lots of other things. Helping with produce, FDC, hardlines, even helped flow once around 11am because it was a double truck day or whatever they said, there were multiple trucks(woo..) but it was always these 2-3 other cashiers that always got chosen to do it.

But, now that I've escaped, I've been able to prove myself useful to everyone but the front lanes now. Perhaps I did prove my ability to cashier in the year and a half I did it. They call for backups, and it hurts to have to not respond or say I can't because back in FDC I've been alone doing huge dairy CAFs and doing research and backstocking and keeping eggs and dairy stocked and keeping the cooler nice and organized, just basically always something I'm doing that I need to do other than cashier. No one ever calls for me to back up, though, so I can banish my sorrow to the back of my head and swallow it.

OKAY BACK ON TOPIC I wouldn't say any of my GSTLs or GSAs are lazy, just stressed to the max maybe?? One of my GSTLs is actually at least 90% there mentally compared to the rest of the GSAs and GSTLs, so that's good. I don't blame GSAs for being introverted on breaks or anything or taking longer breaks. One GSA combines his 15's into one because he says he's never gonna get his last one if he doesn't just take it all at once. I guess you're not suppose to do that, but I don't see any issue with that. On some days I wish I could do that. The same GSA will do anything to go outside or get away from the front lanes for a bit, so he's kind of the opposite of the whole "do no maintenance" thing.

The rest are just kids in college getting leadership experience, which I find highly valuable. Education and experience in leadership is something I might just put above being physically rich, perhaps not as a guest service leader, though, somewhere else in the store would be highly valuable in the aspirations I've seen and careers I desire. Nonetheless, any leadership experience is leadership experience.

I feel that any other work center, longer TL breaks/lunches might slide but it is really obvious and sometimes problematic when the GSTL is gone for an extensive period of time. And I honestly get irritated when it happens too much because they can be so nitpicky about TM breaks/lunches.

I feel that any other work center, longer TL breaks/lunches might slide but it is really obvious and sometimes problematic when the GSTL is gone for an extensive period of time. And I honestly get irritated when it happens too much because they can be so nitpicky about TM breaks/lunches.

One time I went about a minute and a half over using the bathroom(had the shits) and GSTL came up to me and asked where I've been and why I'm late and that we've talked about this... Two GSTLs as a matter of fact have talked to me about that multiple times. I mean, I get it, we're busy, but a minute or two over isn't a huge deal especially if I have the shits. I was slightly embarrassed I had to tell her that day that I had the shits after that lol but it softened her up a little and she let live and told me to go on a lane and if I need to poop just turn my blinker on so she or someone can cover me while I take a quick dump.

I didn't have to again after that thank god.

Our GSAs/GSTLs are actually quite impressive. They're always stepping up to assist guests, resolve issues and are 100% up for it when making sure TMs are taken care of for breaks/lunches/time-out/etc. Pretty cool group. It's our Salesfloor ETLs that are the issue. Even guests have pulled us to the side to ask, "What is her prob... oh wait ... you guys hire ... you know ... special people, right?" *nods head in shame*

One thing I will say is at every store I have been at, the majority of GSTL or GSAs were smokers lol.

Smoking team members are known to take longer breaks.
I smoke too.. it can be a stressful job!

Both our GSTLs are pretty competent workers. Only one of our GSAs I think qualifies as "lazy." I mean, they're just there for the paycheck. Which is fine...until they start talking about becoming a GSTL, and you have to hold back laughter. And sure enough, out of out GSA-GSTL gang, everyone smokes except for myself and one other girl. I totally wish I could smoke though, so that counts for something. Lol.

I try to be a good example for my team, but as bullseye said, when it's dead, I'm closing and I can trust my front end team I may from time to time take little mental breaks in the office. I usually check up on emails, write PDDs and such and check my phone. Sometimes, you need to get away for a minute.

GSTLs/GSAs working incredibly hard in my store (high traffic store). They deal with a lot and most take their last 15 with their first because they tend to not get the last one. One GSTL simply doesn't take 15s. Unfortunately they seem to be the least respected TLs even though they're probably the hardest working ones.

Always funny seeing ETLs or other TLs sweat trying to cover a GSTLs break. Remember hearing an ETL that covered a GSTLs' 45 saying to the GSTL "I don't know how you do it" lol.

GSTLs/GSAs working incredibly hard in my store (high traffic store). They deal with a lot and most take their last 15 with their first because they tend to not get the last one. One GSTL simply doesn't take 15s. Unfortunately they seem to be the least respected TLs even though they're probably the hardest working ones.

Always funny seeing ETLs or other TLs sweat trying to cover a GSTLs break. Remember hearing an ETL that covered a GSTLs' 45 saying to the GSTL "I don't know how you do it" lol.
I hate being the naysayer, but it sounds like if your GSTL developed and empowered the team a little more, they wouldn't have to work so hard. :eek:

I hate being the naysayer, but it sounds like if your GSTL developed and empowered the team a little more, they wouldn't have to work so hard. :eek:

It's due to the sheer amount of traffic our store receives. I'm not going to say where our store is, but not many stores are as busy as ours and if they are it's because they're probably in the same city.

Front end is very strong, but it doesn't matter when you have like 30 registers, 16 SCOs, guest service, and food Ave. On the weekend? Forget about it. The store looks like Dawn of The Dead with all the guest traffic.

Last edited:
All of mine work pretty damn hard. The only complaint I have about Leadership at my store is that their management style is different from mine (when a leader in the past).

Granted the difference is their attitude when we're busy. I like to keep positive and they tend to turn into hungry/angry bears who hate hearing that "no...the task isn't done yet. Not since you asked 15 minutes ago...I've had 3 guests and hand sold a ton of shit tho..." and give me a guilt trip.

if im being honest myself included our GSA's can be lazy but thats because for most of the week we do all the heavy lifting while our GSTL's just come in and take the credit for it, so anytime we get a closing shift we kinda take it easy since for the most part we're left alone by the LOD

I have ADHD so for me, it is balls to the wall, at all times.

My absolute dread, is having nothing to do.

It's due to the sheer amount of traffic our store receives. I'm not going to say where our store is, but not many stores are as busy as ours and if they are it's because they're probably in the same city.

Front end is very strong, but it doesn't matter when you have like 30 registers, 16 SCOs, guest service, and food Ave. On the weekend? Forget about it. The store looks like Dawn of The Dead with all the guest traffic.

Jesus Christ, 16 SCOs? I thought 4 was bad enough.

If you don't mind me asking, what does your normal GSTL/GSA schedule look like? How many do you have at once? How do you even close?

Jesus Christ, 16 SCOs? I thought 4 was bad enough.

If you don't mind me asking, what does your normal GSTL/GSA schedule look like? How many do you have at once? How do you even close?

Opening GSTL 7-3:30p
Mid GSA 12-8p
Closing GSTL 3:30-12am

Every now and then we have a GSA coming in at 9-4p. Not that often though.

I just found out we are going to get a TM to do salesplaners, push candy and do One Spot. How does that work? I'm afraid I'm going to be bored out of my mind.

Opening GSTL 7-3:30p
Mid GSA 12-8p
Closing GSTL 3:30-12am

Every now and then we have a GSA coming in at 9-4p. Not that often though.

I'm lucky if I have a GSA with me at any given time, never mind all the time! How many GSTLs and GSAs do you have?

I just found out we are going to get a TM to do salesplaners, push candy and do One Spot. How does that work? I'm afraid I'm going to be bored out of my mind.

I still sneak in tasking because I get really bored. Or sometimes I will just shoot the shit with my team depending on who's around.

I'm lucky if I have a GSA with me at any given time, never mind all the time! How many GSTLs and GSAs do you have?

I still sneak in tasking because I get really bored. Or sometimes I will just shoot the shit with my team depending on who's around.

Only 3 GSTLs, and 4 GSAs (one is cash office). Our store is extremely busy, if there isn't a GSA and GSTL on the floor it's near impossible.

I wish we were able to be bored, so we can have a break every now and then.

So who does the sales planners, candy and SSS in your stores?

We do it ourselves. We came up with an idea to create a checklane Plano team. Initially it was one of the GSAs captainship. However, in my opinion it was too much on one person and ineffective. When I became TL after being a GSA I took several cashiers and trained them on sales planners, shooting batches, pulling batches, etc.

So we have a team of cahiers dedicated to that. Also the more they know the easier it'll be for them to grow and become leaders themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back