Archived Doesn't seem like a secure job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been reading through the posts and I'm starting to think this isn't a secure job. For instance, 'rope to hang themselves with'. Meaning not informing new employees that they're making mistakes, so they can later use that list of errors to fire them on a whim. Seems very unethical. Even using there speed at the register (90% of the time it drops just because someone wants to dig for pennies or write a check), or getting different rules from different leads constantly. The RedCard thing is over the top. I know a majority of our (guests....oh and guests in my home have never had to pay me...just saying), and they are all sick of being pushed into RedCards. This is a small town, there's only so many many folks living here. I've had multiple people ask, in my neighborhood, if our store has stopped annoying people yet, when they do, they'll go back. I felt insanely stupid when our lead started announcing how many redcards we needed to get, the guest overheard and leaned forward and said 'OMG....do they make you do that to people?'......Needless to say, I've seen multiple inconsistencies, multiple errors, immature leads (not even old enough to buy alcohol...that's strange....but very goofy in behavior)....anyhooo.....job security....no. Might start looking elsewhere.

Job security is certainly not an issue at my store. Turnover is somewhat high, but it's due to people quitting, not people getting fired. It's very easy to keep your job.

It's certainly also common to document errors, but not without warning, and it takes something stupidly egregious to typically get fired, not something you can do on accident without intending to.

Sure, if you steal $5, and AP catches you, they will pretend to not notice so they can later hit you with a felony charge, but I really doubt you need AP to tell you that stealing is wrong for you to be able to figure it out.

The biggest thing on the RCs is that guests will not complain to corporate that the push actually annoys them to stop sopping there. They view it as all roses and such, doing something amazing for guests.... while our repeats ones are annoyed. The repeats I recognized I made light of it - telling them I had to ask.

But, retail is the pits sometimes.... a lot depends on your store leadership. Awesome team, awesome work environment.

And, just wait until CurrentC rolls out in various places this coming year.... more stores are going to be doing the RC type of push. UGH.... those poor people that work in those places that did not sign up to push that on people.

And that's what I originally thought. Being a cashier isn't rocket science. How hard can it be? But it's all the fine print and 'reading between the lines'. And the 'yes to the guest'.....so many scammers....it's insulting to my intelligence , to say 'yes'....to a thief! And yes, they're thieves, if they are turning in bad coupons, lying about the prices, switching clearance tags etc. That is theft! I understand the assorted true 'mistakes'....but there are regulars doing this! If my register is constantly blocking it, the coupon is being misused...end of story.

I'm just not sure if it's a job I can 'rely' on. I feel if I show up on time, do my job, do my best, be wonderful to every guest, not push them and talk over them to sell a RedCard, the guests will be happy and my job should be secure. I'm not the bread winner, my husband is. But I still like working. And I'm also a 'guest'=paying customer...and I HATE being asked to open credit/debit cards ANYWHERE. I just want to get my stuff and go. I have absolutely given up shopping at certain stores, just because I got tired of hearing their stupid speeches. I won't go anywhere near an American Eagle anymore. Last experience there, I must of said NO, 3 times and the clerk kept talking....I hate that. It's bad business. I'm also a mother. I have one child who went of to college, opened 3 cards and I'm stuck paying. Here's the thing...it is WRONG to push people into debt PRIOR to them even being able to pay a mortgage. Preying on the elderly...especially those who are clearly having memory problems, seem confused, have no idea what they're signing up for....also...WRONG! Yet I've seen co-workers do it. Sometimes, those with special needs...they won't grasp what it's for. As the mother of an Autistic son....if any store tried something like that on my son.....the world would hear about it! This is common sense, being overshadowed by bad business tactics. Now this may not be Corporate Policy, but it's store policy...PUSH THOSE REDCARDS...ask EVERYONE! That's...well....it's no very human.

I haven't seen one cashier be fired for any reason in the near two years I've worked at my store. I don't consider that to be low job security, though I suppose it varies a lot store to store.

In my store, if you stay a cashier past your first year you're likely to get burned out and leave. I would suggest looking into other positions in your store if you're looking for job security. You may be pulled into backup cashiering but it keeps you away from the constant redcard drivel.

To me, I look at this redcard mess as a sign of a desperate company... so maybe our jobs aren't so secure after all.

Opposite here it seems. Most people quit before reaching a year, but we have many cashiers who have been here for many, many, years as well. Seems they quit within their first year, or stay forever. I know we'ce had one cashier for 19 years, I think she's been here the longest, but not 100% sure.

It depends on who you are and where you are.

My store has a guest service TM who was previously GSTL but stepped down. She's been at the store 12 years. Same for a few cashiers and the ETL-GE (who worked his way from TM to ETL)

Meanwhile our hardlines team is essentially on rotation since most don't stay past a year

It is hard to get fired as long as you show up and do not steal or do something crazy. They force people out all the time with BS but, anytime those people decide they want to stay and fight it, they always win and stay. And since turn over is high now at all levels at Target they should be working on getting people to stay, not get rid of them.

Honestly probably 80% of our cashiers at my store have given up. They only ask for RedCards when either and ETL or a GSTL are around. I know it's bad, but we've all gotten yelled at before by guests to stop with the spiel. The other 20% are new who will eventually learn the ways. I've never seen someone get fired for not getting RedCards though. The only time someone got fired at my store (as far as I know) was because they were caught stealing money. They were going through a messy divorce and well, they caught him.

The thing I dont get is most people dont trust target after the breach, even months later I still get asked by people if it's save to use their cards. It's been almost a year now no? Getting RedCards is a lot harder I think now.

Make it past 90 days and you're good. There's a lengthy process to be termed unless you do something crazy.

Honestly probably 80% of our cashiers at my store have given up. They only ask for RedCards when either and ETL or a GSTL are around. I know it's bad, but we've all gotten yelled at before by guests to stop with the spiel. The other 20% are new who will eventually learn the ways. I've never seen someone get fired for not getting RedCards though.

I hope this is true at my store, I'm always stressing every shift about the cards. I need this job more than it probably needs me.

The thing I dont get is most people dont trust target after the breach, even months later I still get asked by people if it's save to use their cards. It's been almost a year now no? Getting RedCards is a lot harder I think now.

I actually had a lady mention over the weekend that she was unsure about even using her debit card from her bank! So this is definitely still a big concern people have. I tell people about the upcoming changeover to chip technology when they raise the security concern but it does little to ease their fears.

Honestly probably 80% of our cashiers at my store have given up. They only ask for RedCards when either and ETL or a GSTL are around. I know it's bad, but we've all gotten yelled at before by guests to stop with the spiel. The other 20% are new who will eventually learn the ways. I've never seen someone get fired for not getting RedCards though.

I hope this is true at my store, I'm always stressing every shift about the cards. I need this job more than it probably needs me.

I actually had a lady mention over the weekend that she was unsure about even using her debit card from her bank! So this is definitely still a big concern people have. I tell people about the upcoming changeover to chip technology when they raise the security concern but it does little to ease their fears.

Yeah, I've given up on Red cards. They realize this and try to put me on SCO or GS where they know I'm better (plus I like it better). And yes, yesterday I had about 4 guests yelling at me because the breach was apparently all my fault.

If you want your job and work hard to show that, your job is plenty secure.
Not necessarily. I have been there a few years. Very well liked by management and tm's alike. In the past few months we have gotten a new front end etl who hates me for some reason - maybe he has figured out that I see through his sociopathic, false demeanor.
He doesn't want me there. He is rude to me. Says extremely inappropriate things to me (not sexual but still inappropriate) and is trying to get me to leave.

It has gone from a job that I enjoyed going to each day to not wanting to drag myself out of bed each day.
I know he won't let me go, at least I think he won't because I have many going to bat for me, but this horrible existance is just that - horrible.

In reality in our culture today, no job is
Ever secure

If you want your job and work hard to show that, your job is plenty secure.
Not necessarily. I have been there a few years. Very well liked by management and tm's alike. In the past few months we have gotten a new front end etl who hates me for some reason - maybe he has figured out that I see through his sociopathic, false demeanor.
He doesn't want me there. He is rude to me. Says extremely inappropriate things to me (not sexual but still inappropriate) and is trying to get me to leave.

It has gone from a job that I enjoyed going to each day to not wanting to drag myself out of bed each day.
I know he won't let me go, at least I think he won't because I have many going to bat for me, but this horrible existance is just that - horrible.

In reality in our culture today, no job is
Ever secure

There are things to protect you from people like him. ETL-HR, STL, Hotline, any other ETL. Bring it up, being quiet won't help. Or talk to that ETL personally.

Oh. Believe be. Things are being done. But it's not an overnight cure. And I dread every day he is in when I am in. Constantly being on the defensive is draining.

Glad you took steps to fix it, most people wouldn't. It will take time, however, hang in there and it'll be the happy workplace you remember before he got there, hopefully..

True to form. He had to talk to me about little nit picking stuff. So glad I'm off for the next 2 days

True to form. He had to talk to me about little nit picking stuff. So glad I'm off for the next 2 days
hey , at least he knows who you are.... I had been out of the store for almost on 2 weeks on thanksgiving. I stopped to by my daughters a shirt for pictures.... And my former ETL asked me what hours I was working on Friday.

The STL and GSTL glared at me, but the ETL.... She is clueless about the front-end.

Your ETL knew who you were too, he just...didn't know you'd quit :p

Sure, if you steal $5, and AP catches you, they will pretend to not notice so they can later hit you with a felony charge, but I really doubt you need AP to tell you that stealing is wrong for you to be able to figure it out.

I'm sorry but this whole notion of AP waiting to hit someone with a felony charge is crap. In most states that is over $1000 and some it is even more than that and if someone starts that small by the time you reach felony levels it will be months. AP's goal is to quickly investigate the subject and identify any and all dishonest activity on their end. After that we get approval to interview and they are gone. If all we have is $40 at that point than that is what we have and that is what we will get charges and restitution for. The majority of internal cases end in misdemeanor charges.

I'm sorry but this whole notion of AP waiting to hit someone with a felony charge is crap. In most states that is over $1000 and some it is even more than that and if someone starts that small by the time you reach felony levels it will be months. AP's goal is to quickly investigate the subject and identify any and all dishonest activity on their end. After that we get approval to interview and they are gone. If all we have is $40 at that point than that is what we have and that is what we will get charges and restitution for. The majority of internal cases end in misdemeanor charges.

I know for a fact our last internal took at least five months to do as they were letting the TM build it up. And no, I'm not going to say why I know...let's just say I wasn't surprised the day he was led out in handcuffs.

One of our former AP told me they watched to see if it was a single incident or if it was indicative of a pattern of theft.
Even a single time would put you on AP's radar, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back