Archived Dress code wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my store tms are allowed to wear Capri as long as they go at least an inch below your knee. Our cart attendants can wear shorts. and our HR tms all dress inappropriately but are the first to point out someone else's dress code violation :) O and we cant wear halloween costumes which is a major bummer.

Our ETL one year told us we could come dressed as Target Team Members (trying to scare the kids, I guess?)

Capri's are allowed at our store, though the only people I see wearing them are the older women.
I just go for khaki pants and a red tee or a red polo, depending on my mood. One of our LOD's wears a white tank with a red cardigan over it. And one of my coworkers wears a red cardigan over a black modest camisole and no one says a word. So, could the opposite be done? Could I wear a red shirt with a neutral cardigan over it? It's rare, but electronics can get cold.

Capri's are allowed at our store, though the only people I see wearing them are the older women.
I just go for khaki pants and a red tee or a red polo, depending on my mood. One of our LOD's wears a white tank with a red cardigan over it. And one of my coworkers wears a red cardigan over a black modest camisole and no one says a word. So, could the opposite be done? Could I wear a red shirt with a neutral cardigan over it? It's rare, but electronics can get cold.

Our store requires a red cardigan, fleece, jacket, v-neck sweater over the neutral or colorful something. A neutral cardigan over a red shirt is not acceptable. I have seen a few checkered shirts, but they don't last long if the STL is around. We have lots of women who wear different colors underneath their red. No different than all the colorful tattoos, right? Or should we require that all tats be red and white? lol

*sigh* It's hot. And uncomfortable. Take a vote and it will pass.

So, I spent most of the first few weeks trying to figure out if we could wear capris, since no one at my store seemed to. I finally saw a TM one day wearing them. And asked her. She said HR wasn't sure, but was looking into it. I told her to let me know. That was the last I saw of her for a couple more weeks.

This past week, I saw her wearing them and asked if they had been approved. Apparently not so much. HR claimed that since the dress code was silent, that meant she couldn't. She claimed that meant she could. HR has "threatened" to call corporate to settle it.

On top of this, said TM is obviously annoyed that HR-ETL dresses outside the dress code in a specific way and wants to push that issue..figuring what's good for one is good for everyone.

I'm now regretting that I know anything about this drama. That's what I get for asking questions!

Capris are legal at Target if they are "mid-calf " length or longer. Also you cant wear open toe or open heel shoes, crocs, or any type of shorts.

here's a good one - nametag, left or right side?

For years we wore them on the left. Then someone at HQ got the idea we should wear them on the right., so we switched. Now a few years later you never hear anything about it any more.
Most people just wear then on the right out of habit but if you wear it on the left no one says anything about it as long as you have it on. If you look at team members pictures in the Target magazine ite usually on the right but not always.

I'm not targeting anyone in at all (oh lord, I made a Target pun), but I can't stand when people talk down at the TMs who "dress like it's a fashion show".
Maybe it's the fact that I'm young and a fashion major, but there is nothing wrong with having some sort of pride in the way you look and still work in retail. I don't think anyone would complain about me wearing a red peter pan collared blouse tucked into my khaki pants. It's still in regulation and it doesn't look bad.

I'm not targeting anyone in at all (oh lord, I made a Target pun), but I can't stand when people talk down at the TMs who "dress like it's a fashion show".
Maybe it's the fact that I'm young and a fashion major, but there is nothing wrong with having some sort of pride in the way you look and still work in retail. I don't think anyone would complain about me wearing a red peter pan collared blouse tucked into my khaki pants. It's still in regulation and it doesn't look bad.

The problem is, and the perception as well, is the people who dress up for the job every day like it's a fashion show, tend to be lazy and avoid hard, dirty work. I haven't seen our "decorative" team members break a sweat. Same thing goes for team members who come in wearing heels, and they are pushing CAFs...not exactly the best idea, but hey. I'd like to see one of those dressed-up team members climbing a ladder in the backroom, pushing flow, cleaning dirty/dusty shelves when doing plano, etc....those are the jobs where being a decorative ornament won't get you far (thank you to whoever said that in a recent post, it made me LOL).

The problem is, and the perception as well, is the people who dress up for the job every day like it's a fashion show, tend to be lazy and avoid hard, dirty work. I haven't seen our "decorative" team members break a sweat. Same thing goes for team members who come in wearing heels, and they are pushing CAFs...not exactly the best idea, but hey. I'd like to see one of those dressed-up team members climbing a ladder in the backroom, pushing flow, cleaning dirty/dusty shelves when doing plano, etc....those are the jobs where being a decorative ornament won't get you far (thank you to whoever said that in a recent post, it made me LOL).

Couldn't agree more. I'm a TL and would love to dress "one role up" but I'm so busy pulling my batches for endcaps, working clearance, helping push freight, etc. that I can't pull off heels and a fancy red top. I'm good in tennis shoes and a red polo so I can get what I need done and be able to move freely and not fall wearing heels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back