Archived Dumb questions from Guests......really..... you have to ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure everyone's seen this but just in case:
"Do you want it all on the card?" If the guest hits "no", the register will ask how else they're paying. I just ask them if they meant it to be credit or debit & hit the proper K key to finish the trans (K3 for credit, K6 for debit).
Too much technology & too many choices for most folks.

I have cashiers that make them reswipe the card and do it all over again. I am torn between pointing out they don't have to do it and letting them do it so maybe the guests will learn.

Last edited:
I can see why they get confused though. No other card sliders anywhere asks that question. I've only seen "Amount OK?" and "Cash back?" At Wawa (a convenience store in the area with touch screen ordering machines; the best place ever created) I can order what I want with 7 taps in about 4 seconds since I know where the options are. One time they didn't have the option to toast the bread (thus throwing my tap routine off) and my brain froze for literally ten seconds. I just stood there befuddled.

I can see why they get confused though. No other card sliders anywhere asks that question. I've only seen "Amount OK?" and "Cash back?" At Wawa (a convenience store in the area with touch screen ordering machines; the best place ever created) I can order what I want with 7 taps in about 4 seconds since I know where the options are. One time they didn't have the option to toast the bread (thus throwing my tap routine off) and my brain froze for literally ten seconds. I just stood there befuddled.

I stopped at a Wawa once while traveling. I wish we had them up in my neck of the woods (as well as Sonic).

I have cashiers that make them reswipe the card and do it all over again. I am torn between pointing out they don't have to do it and letting them do it so maybe the guests will learn.

They may not even be aware of that. I remember when I first started (before figuring it out on my own randomly) that I would back out entirely and have them reswipe their card as well.

They may not even be aware of that. I remember when I first started (before figuring it out on my own randomly) that I would back out entirely and have them reswipe their card as well.

I didn't know you could just hit the K key until I read it on here. Until then, I always had the guest hit cancel and re-swipe.

Lol surprised me the amount of knowledge guests lacked when I worked in electronics, guess that's what I was hired for to answer there questions. Only thing worse was when a coworker failed to know these things or sold products based on a lie. ._.

No guys, waiting until a week or 2 before Black Friday is a WONDERFUL time to hire the seasonal help. They got trained for 2 days, they will be fine.

No guys, waiting until a week or 2 before Black Friday is a WONDERFUL time to hire the seasonal help. They got trained for 2 days, they will be fine.

Yeah same situation at my store.
It's especially hard to get learning plans taken care of when it's crazy busy and the new help is easiest to throw on a lane for backup cashiering.

When I'm cashiering people always hit the "No" button for "Do you want it all on the card" thus stopping the transaction.

I also love the "sign a paper copy button" that guests always seem to hit. They say "OH DEAR, WHAT HAPPENED, I didn't get to sign!" with fright and panic in their eyes. I reply that they hit the "sign a paper copy" button to make them feel silly about themselves. Hehe, my subtle act of revenge to those who don't pay attention. It's a good thing we don't have any fatal questions on that keypad like "sign your lifesavings over to Target" button.

"Fright and panic in their eyes" lmao!!!

I know that look well!

This is kinda related to Target. I went to the next door walmart after my closing shift to buy some milk (obviously in red and khaki) when this guy walks up to me and asks "hey can i ask you something? where is..." so i kindly interrupt and say "sorry i dont work here" The look on his face was priceless lmao

This isn't Target related, but I find I get asked if I work there when I'm at a lot of non-Target places. One of my favorite ones is I was walking around a liquor store. Their uniform was black dress pants and a button up long sleeve dress shirt with a walkie with a headset. I go in wearing jeans, my earbuds and a Threadless t-shirt that has a Donkey Kong joke on it.

As I'm walking around, I'm passing by a guy and he goes "Excuse me, where do you have..." at this point I'm about 10 feet past him and he lets out a disgusted gasp. I stop, pull out my earbud and say "What?" He goes "You just walked past me!" I say "... I don't work here." He goes "But you're wearing a headset!" I don't respond, I just put my ear bud back in and continue walking through the store

I don't know, there are times when I think some of us have RETAIL branded on our forehead.
It wouldn't matter what we were wearing people would still ask us where things were.

I've had people ask me in Staples, other book stores, department stores.
I don't even look all that friendly.

Guest: I'm looking for clothes for a toddler.
Me: All of our infant and toddler clothes are right over here!
Guest: I need something in a 3T. Where are the 3T's?

Uhhh, do you see those colorful little tabs on top of the hangers? If you use your eyes and look at them, they have the sizes right on there! I'll always tell the guest "Anything with this magenta-colored tab is a 3T" and they're usually really grateful for the tip, but I feel like I'm talking down to them because it's so obvious!

I do the same thing.. the telling them the color code thing. If they're in the little region that's all infant sizes, or if they're near the toddler sizes and looking for infants, I understand the confusion. Sometimes, though, they're right next to it and I have to keep the sarcasm down.

One time a few years ago I was on my 30 minute lunch walking around the store picking up a few things while on my phone talking to my friend. This one guest comes up to me (while I'm still on the phone!) and asks me a hey where is this question. I flat out told her, "Can't you see I'm on phone and clearly not working?!" Then I walked away.

I get "Uhh, where is the restroom?" when they're standing right in front of the huge sign that says "RESTROOM." It's really hard to seriously answer them without sounding like a smartass.

It's surprising how few guests know about our aisle numbering system. I often have to point out the round red signs on the end of each aisle. Armed with that info some get it pretty quick, but there are lots who just can't grasp that if these are the "C" aisles then the "D" aisles are nearby.

Of course if you go to cosmetics or MMB everything falls apart, because so many aisles have no obvious markers. Even a lot of TMs can't tell what number most of the MMB aisles are, including some whose job it is to push MMB.

It's surprising how few guests know about our aisle numbering system. I often have to point out the round red signs on the end of each aisle. Armed with that info some get it pretty quick, but there are lots who just can't grasp that if these are the "C" aisles then the "D" aisles are nearby.

Of course if you go to cosmetics or MMB everything falls apart, because so many aisles have no obvious markers. Even a lot of TMs can't tell what number most of the MMB aisles are, including some whose job it is to push MMB.
The only thing I despise about working in electronics is attempting to do MMB pulls/reshop. I always have to find the tiny label hidden on the aisle to figure out the aisle number. Awful.

The only thing I despise about working in electronics is attempting to do MMB pulls/reshop. I always have to find the tiny label hidden on the aisle to figure out the aisle number. Awful.

When I work re-shop in MMB, I just try to memorize the numbers of the short aisles (the 4-sided movie displays) and count from there.

I get "Uhh, where is the restroom?" when they're standing right in front of the huge sign that says "RESTROOM." It's really hard to seriously answer them without sounding like a smartass.
We get people who ask that and when we tell them where they are, they say "don't you have one back there (or closer) I can use?" No, we don't even have one in the pharmacy WE can use and if it was IN the pharmacy, we sure as hell couldn't let a GUEST "back here" to use it!

We get people who ask that and when we tell them where they are, they say "don't you have one back there (or closer) I can use?" No, we don't even have one in the pharmacy WE can use and if it was IN the pharmacy, we sure as hell couldn't let a GUEST "back here" to use it!

We had one in the backroom and I don't think any guest customer in their right mind would want to use it.

We have one of those family bathrooms by pharmacy. It's usually so clean. I use that one when I'm a ~guest~. The tm one in the backroom is usually cleaner, though.

Not a particular question, but I don't get why they think everyone in red and beige knows where everything in the store is. I'm folding tiny pants. I can tell you about tiny pants. I have no idea what the exact aisle of wall decals (or whatever random item they're searching for) is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back