Archived Dumb questions from Guests......really..... you have to ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, I'm in my red shirt and khakis, wearing my nametag, and pushing a giant flat of furniture/plastics/hardware/houseware backstock to the back room, and a guest stops me and asks "um, do you work here?" I was pleasant and responded in the affirmative and helped her with whatever she wanted, but in my head I'm baffled. Is the uniform, nametag with the store's logo, and giant flat of merchandise not a big enough hint that I do, indeed, work here?

Surprised no one has thought of a theft ring. lol

Didn't that happen at Walmart? A bunch of thieves dressed up in navy and khaki and pushed out shopping carts full of merch?

LOD/Market TL and I were finishing out afternoon market walk yesterday and two women asked for moisturizing gloves, started laughing about how he (LOD) had helped them the other day. We finish helping them and after they leave he tells me how the day before he'd helped them get a PS4 from electronics and how they had asked if they could return it if they couldn't figure out how to plug it in. >_>

To that one, dozen, fifty guests...

There is no popcorn smell. The neon "popcorn" sign is not on. There is no popcorn in the machine. There is a huge sign on the popcorn machine (up front and very visible) that says "Out of Order."

"Can I get a popcorn?"

NO!!!!!! YOU CANNOT GET A FUCKING POPCORN!!!!

Who ARE these people, and where do they all come from?!?

Last edited:
Our softlines TM was on break or lunch once, leaving our hardlines TM as the only one between the two areas. I can't remember who the hardlines TM was exactly, but I know it was like an 18 or 19 year old kid that I'm not sure had ever even had a girlfriend at that point. Anyway, a guest had a question about intimates. I was on a lane and couldn't get away, anyway. So I called the LOD who was a woman, figuring I would spare the hardlines TM the embarrassment. She refused to help out. She kept going on and on that just because she was the LOD didn't mean she had to cover all of these calls and the other TMs needed to do their part and help out in the various areas. Even after I told her it was for a guest needing help in intimates, she still said the poor kid just needed to deal with it. I really wanted to shove her off her high horse.

Maybe giving her a "wedgie" would have been a better idea!

Some days I think that people get up in the morning and take their "stupid pills" instead of their vitamins.....

To that lady who wanted , really wanted a small yellow shirt , she was frantically going thru our backstock cart, we informed her that we didn't have any !that we knew it because there was a grey dot on the label! That we had researched it the other day...
She insisted she wanted one and wanted us to show it to her because it was supposed to be right there and we have to put one there..but it had to be somewhere. , she wanted one!
Yep, let me get my magic wand .....and turn you into a freaking toad!!

I had a guest ask me yesterday what "one size fits most" means...

I've had a guest point at the $0.00 tag on an item from infant hardlines, that is packaged as a set, and ask if the whole thing was free.

This didn't happen to me but a cashier told me a younger guy walked up to her with only half of a pajama set. Of course, it was the bottom half which had the usual "0.00" price tag and he insisted he get it for free. when she explained it was part of a set and that we can't just give it to him for free, he said "ok I'll pay ten cents for it."

Guests. They just like to be difficult sometimes.

I've had a guest point at the $0.00 tag on an item from infant hardlines, that is packaged as a set, and ask if the whole thing was free.

This didn't happen to me but a cashier told me a younger guy walked up to her with only half of a pajama set. Of course, it was the bottom half which had the usual "0.00" price tag and he insisted he get it for free. when she explained it was part of a set and that we can't just give it to him for free, he said "ok I'll pay ten cents for it."

Guests. They just like to be difficult sometimes.
Actually, the guest was asking about a set of baby clothing with the packaging completely intact. I told them that it wasn't free and why. They then went and got a few other sets and kept asking me the same thing.

Last edited:
One day when a guest asks me to look up their card number I am going to pretend I do, without them giving me any info. I am just going to hit random buttons on the machine then say that it has been canceled and they have to give me another form of payment.
As much as I want to do that, I never would.

"Do you accept American Express/Visa/Discover/checks?"

It's 2014. This is a multi billion dollar company. We take Visa.

I had a guest today come up to me and ask if the price on the tag of a shirt was how much it cost. They did not ask if it was on sale or if it was on clearance. No, I am not making this up, though I wish I was.

The Halloween costumes also have parts of it that are tagged $0.00. This weekend we had a guest yank off that part and bring it through the lanes to get it for free. They seriously didn't understand why the cashier said no.

The Halloween costumes also have parts of it that are tagged $0.00. This weekend we had a guest yank off that part and bring it through the lanes to get it for free. They seriously didn't understand why the cashier said no.

I don't understand why they bother putting the $0.00 on them. There shouldn't be a price, just the DPCI. If there's no price and no barcode to scan, then it must be a multi-piece set.

Manually key in the DPCI on the tag & watch their face when the full price pops up.
Fun times.

:D Any time I had a guest give me a hard time about the $0.00 tag, I explained to them that it says $0.00 because that piece is part of a set and can't be sold on its own.

I... sometimes pull the $0.00 part off. Of course I don't do that to all of them, because I'd never have time for that, but sometimes, if I'm already deeply annoyed for some reason, and I come across one, I pull the stupid thing off.

When I'm cashiering people always hit the "No" button for "Do you want it all on the card" thus stopping the transaction.

I also love the "sign a paper copy button" that guests always seem to hit. They say "OH DEAR, WHAT HAPPENED, I didn't get to sign!" with fright and panic in their eyes. I reply that they hit the "sign a paper copy" button to make them feel silly about themselves. Hehe, my subtle act of revenge to those who don't pay attention. It's a good thing we don't have any fatal questions on that keypad like "sign your lifesavings over to Target" button.
There are times I am VERY tempted to mess with people and tell them they "canceled the order and everything needs to be run up again!"

When I'm cashiering people always hit the "No" button for "Do you want it all on the card" thus stopping the transaction.

I also love the "sign a paper copy button" that guests always seem to hit. They say "OH DEAR, WHAT HAPPENED, I didn't get to sign!" with fright and panic in their eyes. I reply that they hit the "sign a paper copy" button to make them feel silly about themselves. Hehe, my subtle act of revenge to those who don't pay attention. It's a good thing we don't have any fatal questions on that keypad like "sign your lifesavings over to Target" button.
There are times I am VERY tempted to mess with people and tell them they "canceled the order and everything needs to be run up again!"

With the new card readers, why oh why do half of my guests now stare at the credit card signature screen in confusion? I cannot count how many times a day I get, "do I have to sign?" Seriously people, what else would you do in that box? Have you never used your card before???

I must preface this story by saying that I am under a good bit of pressure (non work related) and have been battling my insomnia for the last week or so, and I was on register for 11 hours on Saturday. had a guest come through my line with a massive cart of groceries and a stack of coupons, fifteen minutes later im waiting for her to pay and am just wanting to get her outta my line, well she is rummaging through her purse looking for her redcard and looks my dead in the eye and asks with the straightest face ive ever seen, "whats the redcard look like?" not thinking I said "its white with green dots." yeah she wasn't to happy. my defense to my GSA was sleep deprivation induced insanity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back