Archived Educational LOA question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there! Long time lurker here.

Okay so I've been having trouble finding an answer to my question and figured I'd ask here before calling my Targets HR.

I went on an educational LOA last year and decided not to return to my position this year.

I have been applying to jobs and in my resume have put the end date of my employment at Target as the end date of my LOA. Technically I was still in the system as an employee (from what I've gathered). I've only been doing this to avoid the dreaded employment gap.

If a potential employer calls up Target, will my resumes end date match up with what HR will say? Or am I shooting myself in the foot and need to change my resume...

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience with this type of situation.

Thank you!

Don't mention about target corp if you can to your future Employer. Every Employers knows working for Target corp retail is the Bottom of the bottomless. In other words "You are at Target because the outside world rejects you."

Thank you for your input, but I spent over 3 years there and have gained invaluable skills and abilities working all over the store during my time there.

I interviewed last week with a major defense corporation (think top 4) and it went fantastic. My (hopefully) future boss spent 20 years in retail and she said that the fact a had hard core retail experience was a huge plus to her. Being a position that is in supply chain management, inventory, distribution and client services, it really helped me get a leg up. But we'll see.

That's why I'm concerned about them calling target and my dates not matching up, it's my dream job!

I think Target can be great on a resume if you know how to make all of the skills and abilities learned shine. But to each their own!

Don't mention about target corp if you can to your future Employer. Every Employers knows working for Target corp retail is the Bottom of the bottomless. In other words "You are at Target because the outside world rejects you."

You're on the wrong site. Go to targetsucks.com where you can hang out with the other salty losers. Target is not a Microsoft or Amazon but as far as retailers go it's a pretty respectable employer.

On your resume, I would suggest leaving Target on it, from hire date until you made the decision to resign and it was a fully processed termination. Being with a company for longer than two years, especially for a younger person is extremely beneficial at times, as it shows you can stick it out. I would mention if you were asked about the length to explain the LOA, so they know it was for education. Also in many states, it is against the law for an employer/previous employer to reveal any information other than;
A) When the individual started working for the company
B) When the individual terminated employment with for the company.

Any other information that can cause you to not get the job can get the company who revealed the information sued.

Best of luck in your job hunt, I have had nothing but great opportunities since I left Target, but I also was fortunate enough to gain very useful skills from the company!

You're employment date ends the day of your termination.

Thanks HRzone! (Mad respect by the way!!! :)

Update, I did text an HR team member that I'm still friends with today, they made it sound like I'll be in the clear. They are going to double check with the HR-ETL tomorrow to be 100% sure, but it sounds like I was correct in thinking that it's the date I called to say "I'm not coming back" during my LOA.

If a potential employer calls up Target, will my resumes end date match up with what HR will say?...

If a potential employer calls the store, we refer them to The Work Number. If you are able to look up your own termination date on The Work Number and use that date on your resume, then the potential employer should get a matching date for sure.

Thank you for your input, but I spent over 3 years there and have gained invaluable skills and abilities working all over the store during my time there.

I interviewed last week with a major defense corporation (think top 4) and it went fantastic. My (hopefully) future boss spent 20 years in retail and she said that the fact a had hard core retail experience was a huge plus to her. Being a position that is in supply chain management, inventory, distribution and client services, it really helped me get a leg up. But we'll see.

That's why I'm concerned about them calling target and my dates not matching up, it's my dream job!

I think Target can be great on a resume if you know how to make all of the skills and abilities learned shine. But to each their own!

Wow, can I say that I love your positive attitude?! I really enjoyed reading your post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back