Archived Electronics TM -> APS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering, do you think this is possible to go from electronics TM to APS?

There's another store near me, which is hiring for APS. I really have wanted to do APS for about two years now. TPS has came around, but i just don't wanna feel useless and standing around showing presence and i want to do real action. I know merch protection, i know the store, i know how to spot thieves, i've burned two people for concealing merch, and as myself i know how to protect myself and going to the gym 6 days a week i'm sure possible know how to take control of something!

Sounds like your experience speaks for itself.

Speaking from my experience of working in Electronics for several years... I feel you should have a close relationship with AP and a good understanding of some of their best practices. I've been out of the Target game for a while though, so I don't want to give you too much hope.

Still, I'd say go for it!

Yeah! I have a close bond with the APS, 2 TPS & ETL-AP. I know how it's done, what they want done and i believe i know how to do it safely. Wonder with no LP experience but my powerlifting (exercise background), close relationship with AP and electronics experience to prevent theft I'm wondering if its possible!

Coming from somebody who went Hardlines > TPS, I say go for it. AP is a really fun and educational position. You get to learn more about what makes the company tick and how things work on the inside, not just zone the same aisles every day over and over. Even if you don't get the APS job, a TPS position in a good store is awesome. Sure it sucks having restrictions, but if you've got a good AP team and good store team, TPS life ain't so bad.

Do you have a degree in something like criminal justice? that could help your chances as well.

Yes you could do it but if you didn't want to go for the TPS spot I have to question why you would want to go into APS. The position itself can be a blast at times but a majority of it is spent sitting on the cameras waiting for something to happen or walking around the floor. It also isn't about being able to bench more than someone else. You can have a much larger impact talking someone back than risk injuring yourself or a shoplifter by going hands on. Doesn't work all the time but that's why we carry handcuffs. :)

Spotting the right people is a good trait though as not a lot of people have it! Honestly I would recommend starting off as a TPS and seeing if you like it from there. Even with the restrictions I enjoyed it much more than my current position.

Coming from somebody who went Hardlines > TPS, I say go for it. AP is a really fun and educational position. You get to learn more about what makes the company tick and how things work on the inside, not just zone the same aisles every day over and over. Even if you don't get the APS job, a TPS position in a good store is awesome. Sure it sucks having restrictions, but if you've got a good AP team and good store team, TPS life ain't so bad.
All my AP came from elsewhere. I've been waiting to see if APS position would come open for the longest now, nothing. We used to have 2 APS for a couple months but one left and got promoted to ETL-AP.

Do you have a degree in something like criminal justice? that could help your chances as well.
Sadly no lol

Yes you could do it but if you didn't want to go for the TPS spot I have to question why you would want to go into APS. The position itself can be a blast at times but a majority of it is spent sitting on the cameras waiting for something to happen or walking around the floor. It also isn't about being able to bench more than someone else. You can have a much larger impact talking someone back than risk injuring yourself or a shoplifter by going hands on. Doesn't work all the time but that's why we carry handcuffs. :)

Spotting the right people is a good trait though as not a lot of people have it! Honestly I would recommend starting off as a TPS and seeing if you like it from there. Even with the restrictions I enjoyed it much more than my current position.
Just the restrictions makes me not wanting to become TPS. And thats surely true (lmao) Hands on is just more entertaining and as well though knowing you'll hopefully out strength someone is better when apprehending someone!

Go into the interview talking like that and you most likely won't get the position. APS isn't about out muscling someone. The restrictions Target has put on AP don't stop at TPS. APS is strongly discouraged now from going hands on whenever possible. Cross the line even a little bit and your on final warning no questions asked. AP is a lot more verbal than anything especially now. This isn't old school loss prevention where you can run up and tackle people.

Basically don't go into the interview saying you want this job for the action. It looks really bad and you'll be lucky to get past the first interview. I do first interviews for new hire TPS at my store and if you came in talking like you are now I would thank you for your time and tell you to have a nice day. It's nothing personal.

Last edited:
Go into the interview talking like that and you most likely won't get the position. APS isn't about out muscling someone. The restrictions Target has put on AP don't stop at TPS. APS is strongly discouraged now from going hands on whenever possible. Cross the line even a little bit and your on final warning no questions asked. AP is a lot more verbal than anything especially now. This isn't old school loss prevention where you can run up and tackle people.

Basically don't go into the interview saying you want this job for the action. It looks really bad and you'll be lucky to get past the first interview.
Really? I've missed a lot of confrontations with APS, but all i've seen ever was:

1) situation where ETL-AP/APS failed apprehension and hands on
2) APS was assaulted when going for bag
3) ETL-AP and TPS apprehension hands on

that's all i've ever seen, but interesting. I guess i have a lot to think about. Thanks!

Basically don't go into the interview saying you want this job for the action. It looks really bad and you'll be lucky to get past the first interview. I do first interviews for new hire TPS at my store and if you came in talking like you are now I would thank you for your time and tell you to have a nice day. It's nothing personal.

This is so true. We turned down an internal TPS applicant because we knew the power would go to his head.

Really? I've missed a lot of confrontations with APS, but all i've seen ever was:

1) situation where ETL-AP/APS failed apprehension and hands on
2) APS was assaulted when going for bag
3) ETL-AP and TPS apprehension hands on

that's all i've ever seen, but interesting. I guess i have a lot to think about. Thanks!
Those incidents do happen from time to time. Part of the training is how to deal with physical altercations. But most of the time your just supposed to keep yourself and those around you safe, let the person go and not make a scene.

People have to keep in mind that everything is recorded and corporate can review (or even watch live) what is happening in the stores. Some people get very stern coachings like "don't do it that way again" all the way up to "you should have known better, final warning". With the liability involved Target is not taking chances anymore.

APS is strongly discouraged now from going hands on whenever possible. Cross the line even a little bit and your on final warning no questions asked. AP is a lot more verbal than anything especially now. This isn't old school loss prevention where you can run up and tackle people.

At my store we are still very hands on and not discouraged from doing so.

Keep in mind OP, one danger of APS is that you're plainclothes so you can be mistaken for the bad guy especially if you don't have a TPS with you. You never know what can happen, lots of people have conceal carry permits and they can mistake you for the aggressor. I used to do plainclothes at another company and that's always what bothered me, people didn't know I was "the good guy". I personally like being a TPS because you have the command presence of the uniform, duty belt, badge, visible handcuffs, etc. Each position has its pros and cons. I'd actually prefer to be a Sr TPS than an APS if Sr TPS was still a thing.

Also you can see a lot of action as a TPS, if you have an APS at your store or even just an ETL-AP, you will see just as much action as them.

As others have said, don't take the job just to go hands on. I work for a very hands on company right now, and I will admit, being young and stupid, I like being able to take down and cuff someone when their uncooperative. However, the best apprehensions are the ones where you walk up, identify yourself, and get them to come back in willingly. You need to be able to talk to people, and be confident in yourself. I know one AP from another company who always ran up and went 0-100 in a second, started yelling and getting aggressive. When people are scared, and faced with aggression, they tend to lash out. Not to mention that presents a horrible image for the company when customers see it. Uninvolved people shouldn't even know an app is going down if it's done properly.
I think you could probably be a good APS, especially since you can spot shoplifters already, which is one of the hardest parts of the job. Being a big guy helps too, even though you shouldn't always be going hands on. I'm 6'3", 195 lbs, and although I'm not powerlifter built, I am pretty athletic and I present myself confidently and professionally. Most people see that and make the split second decision to cooperate. So to sum up, it sounds like you could do the job, just don't do it for the action, and definitely don't mention the action at the interview. And as others have said, if a TPS slot comes open, it's honestly a pretty good job, so I wouldn't actively avoid it, especially if you want to get into AP.

That's so true.. makes me think so much. Thank you guys everyone for your responses- it's appreciated.

At my store we are still very hands on and not discouraged from doing so.
By discouraged I mean we've seen (in my district) examples made of AP that have took things too far. Nothing actually communicated to us, other than the vague directives, to say what we can or cannot do.

Maybe the original poster is in a district with an APBP and APML that allows things to go a little more. I'm not so I don't take chances. If they want the stuff that bad they can have it.

I'm also in a concealed carry state so you have to be real careful especially making solo apps in plain clothes. While it hasn't happened to myself I have seen videos of "good samaritans" drawing guns on LP making stops because they thought the LP was assaulting the shoplifter. That's why verbal skills are the best tools to have as LP.

By discouraged I mean we've seen (in my district) examples made of AP that have took things too far. Nothing actually communicated to us, other than the vague directives, to say what we can or cannot do.

Maybe the original poster is in a district with an APBP and APML that allows things to go a little more. I'm not so I don't take chances. If they want the stuff that bad they can have it.

I'm also in a concealed carry state so you have to be real careful especially making solo apps in plain clothes. While it hasn't happened to myself I have seen videos of "good samaritans" drawing guns on LP making stops because they thought the LP was assaulting the shoplifter. That's why verbal skills are the best tools to have as LP.

One Sr APS in my district wears an old TPS badge on a neck chain and pulls it out when he makes stops.

Some plainclothes cops wear these raid jackets that have pull out placards so they are not misidentified.

http://teamlogo.com/inc/sdetail/125339

You can buy one that says loss prevention/security/AP or whatever you want on it.

Just some advice for staying safe. Always think of how the situation looks to others. It's something we don't think about but should. (Sorry for going a bit off topic here)

Last edited:
I'll be the first one to tell you that your exactly right, the TPS position is littered with restrictions and you have to wear this STUPID ASS LOOKING SHIRT, but the APS has even more restrictions. With no AP experience, you'll learn so much from being a TPS, that you'll make a great APS. The restrictions might seem ridiculous at times, but your job is to protect people and the company, so the restrictions are important.
Also, @On6 is absolutely right, don't do AP looking for action. It might seem fun looking from the outside in, but a lot of AP work is pulling reports, doing reports, researching, and safety.
Finally, Target treats its APSs as more of AP Managers, the TPSs as LP associates, so they probably would be looking for some experience.

Last edited:
I'll be the first one to tell you that your exactly right, the TPS position is littered with restrictions and you have to wear this STUPID ASS LOOKING SHIRT, but the APS has even more restrictions. With no AP experience, you'll learn so much from being a TPS, that you'll make a great APS. The restrictions might seem ridiculous at times, but your job is to protect people and the company, so the restrictions are important.
Also, @On6 is absolutely right, don't do AP looking for action. It might seem fun looking from the outside in, but a lot of AP work is pulling reports, doing reports, researching, and safety.
Finally, Target treats its APSs as more of AP Managers, the TPSs as LP associates, so they probably would be looking for some experience.

This. I'm not an APS store so I could be wrong here but from what I've heard, it's very rare to get an APS position without some kind of prior loss prevention experience.

There are circumstances where Sr. TPS (though mostly phased out) can apprehend, but TPS do assist in apprehensions, they just don't initiate them.

Without having prior experience in AP, you need someone that will vouch for you. I had my APTL, ETL-HR/AP, and STL backing so it wasn't too hard to get in once my APTL decided he wanted me in that position. I'd really only recommend Target AP if you're interested in criminal justice as a career. AP is getting more and more limited, you'll find yourself working around the restrictions so that you can actually do your job. Target is so damn scared of liability that they'd rather term you than ever risk someone getting hurt or you getting an NPI and maybe POSSIBLY causing bad publicity.

I think Wal-Mart pays a little less but the stories I've heard, they pretty much do what they want within reason.

As an ETL-AP, I would prefer to hire an experienced TPS who wants to become an APS. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes and, as many have already said, a lot to know outside of catching bad guys. Not saying I would never higher an internal TM outside of AP. If their interview goes well, I'm all for it.

I also wanted to follow up on the "hands off" preference bit as well. Just remember, in my district at least, your stops are reviewed for boosters and HIGH dollar impacts. Keep that in mind when you need to get physical. I let my APS's do what they have to do as long as the situation calls for it.

It's probably never a good idea to restrain someone for something low dollar.

Be careful out there, boys!

Thank you guys, i plan on taking the TPS opportunity as soon as it becomes available at my store again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back