MEGATHREAD End to End team PILOT

I understand that it was/is a mess, but would I be wrong if I said it was mess created when Target started their new earlier/later (depending on how you see it) unload times?.

I see all the payroll from stores, that was taken away from the Logistics 4am/overnight processes and repaid into DC's (Less work for us in the store, but from a DC point of view I could see it being much more).

Then we get to the fact of transportation, and what multiple trucks a day can cost.. I am guessing 100 dollars (more, but its probably much higher than this) a day, which I bet is a lot more than Target was spending for a full Overnight shift, for the extra $$ for an overnight flow team.

Then you can get to Safety. Corporate wide, Target will probably have 33% (this is a major guess) more trucks a day on the road than before, which means more than likely a 33% increase in accident's with a Target Truck and therefore lawsuits.

Then you can get into Guest/TM safety. We got our U-boats two weeks ago, and I have seen plenty of TM's (including myself) almost barrel into a guest or another TM.

The point here is efficiency. Sure you are cutting some of the workload and payroll out of stores and giving it to the DCs, but its more efficient to be done that way. You do not have to debox, crush cardboard, and ship back bales to the DC for example, so therefore less sweeps. The final "touches" an item will have will also be far less. We are attempting to become almost purely truck to shelf. Currently, almost all product makes at least a few trips to the backroom or swept back to the DC for being over pushed.

You seem to misunderstand what "multiple trucks" means. Your store is receiving more trailers, but you will not have the entire trailer! There are plenty of half full trailers that probably drive right past your store to reach an ULV and that trailer is a waste of space. You may be able to fit some extra cases on the current trailer system on a single trailer, but if your store is slotted for a 1400 piece truck that is just a waste of space. Its too difficult to manage trailer schedules currently because they forecast you for 7 2 weeks out and if your store tanks sales (or a certain vendor does not have product at the DC in time) you are stuck with a tiny trailer and we cannot fill it with anything else (or the RDC fills it with non value added merchandise).

Target should have as many or less trucks on the road per day.

Yup. At my store they're about to start going after the tms without wide open availability (and haven't yet told them that...)

I'm wondering how this will play out. We have several tms who have been at my store for YEARS (I'm talking 10-15+) who have very limited availability but do their jobs damn well. What's going to happen to them?

I'm wondering how this will play out. We have several tms who have been at my store for YEARS (I'm talking 10-15+) who have very limited availability but do their jobs damn well. What's going to happen to them?
They will be performances out and new, cheaper TMs will be hired to replace them. Target sees TMs as just replaceable cogs, and to them a new cog is just as good as an experienced cog.

My biggest bitch right now is the total lack of communication. We have team members who have no clue whats happening to their hours, TLs who have no clue where they fit in the grand scheme.All we continually hear is "its a work in progress" "no one is losing their job" I call BullSh$t on that. These people know who they want where 6 months in advance of everything. Just own up to it
The point here is efficiency. Sure you are cutting some of the workload and payroll out of stores and giving it to the DCs, but its more efficient to be done that way. You do not have to debox, crush cardboard, and ship back bales to the DC for example, so therefore less sweeps. The final "touches" an item will have will also be far less. We are attempting to become almost purely truck to shelf. Currently, almost all product makes at least a few trips to the backroom or swept back to the DC for being over pushed.

You seem to misunderstand what "multiple trucks" means. Your store is receiving more trailers, but you will not have the entire trailer! There are plenty of half full trailers that probably drive right past your store to reach an ULV and that trailer is a waste of space. You may be able to fit some extra cases on the current trailer system on a single trailer, but if your store is slotted for a 1400 piece truck that is just a waste of space. Its too difficult to manage trailer schedules currently because they forecast you for 7 2 weeks out and if your store tanks sales (or a certain vendor does not have product at the DC in time) you are stuck with a tiny trailer and we cannot fill it with anything else (or the RDC fills it with non value added merchandise).

Target should have as many or less trucks on the road per day.

I see no problem with shipping back bails, as the trailer is going to be headed back anyway... What would make it more efficient (for stores) is a bigger Bailer.

The one aspect that could destroy us more than anything, is over expansion and keeping these ULV stores still open. I haven't seen a 1400 piece Truck since the one truck during Christmas that was accidently not canceled and Me, and the plano team unloaded and staged it all for flow (We were overnight, they weren't and we got our Christmas Set early)

What I see is you comparing Target's new trucking stage to C&S (who has multiple stores orders on their trucks). If that is the case to meet store demands, as well as ever growing online sales I am sorry if I can't see how this lowers Truck Mileage. Unless of course they try and remodel all of our backrooms as a "mini online warehouse", which honestly wouldn't be a bad idea.

Maybe this has been touched on already, I've only read through a few pages but are uboats literally the most useless thing ever? We have 10 on the line for the unload and we run out of room on them on our smallest trucks. We only ordered 11 and it looks like we are gonna need at least two dozen of these monstrosities to actually comply with target's vision. However, we have an incredibly tiny backroom, when we have to pull pipos from the truck during the unload process, we have to push in all the uboats because they simply take up way too much space. This brings us to the final issue, where the hell do we store them. Like I said we have 11 of them currently, and already have little to no room to store them. This whole rollout is killing our unload process as our last few unload times have been miserable due to the shifting of hours and extra time needed to implement the changes. I'm fully aware that when something gets changed, there is an adjusting period, we've done many changes in the past where we've adjusted and been flexible, I just don't see how these things help. We start the market rollout officially next week so maybe I'll be wrong but I just can't help but feel putting flats on the line and changing the custom blocks so that each flat encompasses 3-4 aisles would have been much better and saved just as much time.

On a side note, fuck communication in target, wish corporate would give way more information to my superiors on how to make this process work. They tested it in stores and they must have figured it out to improve efficiency and speed, wish they would relay some of that precious information.

Also curious in the e2e process for softlines, is your softlines team pulling and backstocking like your market team? Cause ours isn't and now we have 4 vehicles in the backroom filled with softlines in repacks, cause apparently none of our leaders knew either.

I see no problem with shipping back bails, as the trailer is going to be headed back anyway... What would make it more efficient (for stores) is a bigger Bailer.

The one aspect that could destroy us more than anything, is over expansion and keeping these ULV stores still open. I haven't seen a 1400 piece Truck since the one truck during Christmas that was accidently not canceled and Me, and the plano team unloaded and staged it all for flow (We were overnight, they weren't and we got our Christmas Set early)

What I see is you comparing Target's new trucking stage to C&S (who has multiple stores orders on their trucks). If that is the case to meet store demands, as well as ever growing online sales I am sorry if I can't see how this lowers Truck Mileage. Unless of course they try and remodel all of our backrooms as a "mini online warehouse", which honestly wouldn't be a bad idea.

I see 900-1600 piece trailers all the time, and I am a high volume. Agree to disagree.

Yes, Target is likely going closer to the FDC type delivery. It doesn't lower truck mileage, but it allows us to remove the backroom (like you said) on the exact same mileage (or very close). Take this on a micro scale. There is a district with 10 stores. You have a mixture of stores and in any given week there are an average of 40 RDC trailers going to this district from the DC. This is an average of 5-6 trailers that the RDC just needs to focus on filling for any of the 10 stores everyday. The advantage to this system is that it allows the rigid 1 trailer for 1 store system to go away, and the RDC can just fill trailers no matter what. Is the fullest RDC trailer currently going to hold more boxes than a palletized one? Sure. Is the average fill going to be higher for these 10 stores than the current system? I can almost guarantee it because if they are filling a trailer and see its not going to be full they can just combine down the trailers if they are going to the same general area.

There is a reason so many retailers do this. It allows for flexibility in the supply chain. It follows a just in time replenishment model. It reduces space constraints on stores. It allows for more open delivery schedules (an High Volume can receive a softlines delivery at noon and be fine). I can keep going.

Last edited:
Maybe this has been touched on already, I've only read through a few pages but are uboats literally the most useless thing ever? We have 10 on the line for the unload and we run out of room on them on our smallest trucks. We only ordered 11 and it looks like we are gonna need at least two dozen of these monstrosities to actually comply with target's vision. However, we have an incredibly tiny backroom, when we have to pull pipos from the truck during the unload process, we have to push in all the uboats because they simply take up way too much space. This brings us to the final issue, where the hell do we store them. Like I said we have 11 of them currently, and already have little to no room to store them. This whole rollout is killing our unload process as our last few unload times have been miserable due to the shifting of hours and extra time needed to implement the changes. I'm fully aware that when something gets changed, there is an adjusting period, we've done many changes in the past where we've adjusted and been flexible, I just don't see how these things help. We start the market rollout officially next week so maybe I'll be wrong but I just can't help but feel putting flats on the line and changing the custom blocks so that each flat encompasses 3-4 aisles would have been much better and saved just as much time.

On a side note, fuck communication in target, wish corporate would give way more information to my superiors on how to make this process work. They tested it in stores and they must have figured it out to improve efficiency and speed, wish they would relay some of that precious information.

Also curious in the e2e process for softlines, is your softlines team pulling and backstocking like your market team? Cause ours isn't and now we have 4 vehicles in the backroom filled with softlines in repacks, cause apparently none of our leaders knew either.

SL- yes we pull manuals, auto fills, cafs, pogs, price change batches, research batches, and any other kinds of batches I'm forgetting. We also do all of our own Backstock. We do everything including unload the truck and breakout our repacks.

Maybe this has been touched on already, I've only read through a few pages but are uboats literally the most useless thing ever? We have 10 on the line for the unload and we run out of room on them on our smallest trucks. We only ordered 11 and it looks like we are gonna need at least two dozen of these monstrosities to actually comply with target's vision. However, we have an incredibly tiny backroom, when we have to pull pipos from the truck during the unload process, we have to push in all the uboats because they simply take up way too much space. This brings us to the final issue, where the hell do we store them. Like I said we have 11 of them currently, and already have little to no room to store them.
Take the useless shelves off the uboats and use flats for cereal and beverages. That should help stop you from running out of space during the unload.

We store ours on the line right now, but eventually we'll reconfigure the steel to give them a home.

SL- yes we pull manuals, auto fills, cafs, pogs, price change batches, research batches, and any other kinds of batches I'm forgetting. We also do all of our own Backstock. We do everything including unload the truck and breakout our repacks.
We just found out yesterday that we(backroom) are in charge of backstocking after letting it pile up the last few days. I really don't understand the whole e2e process yet since it seems to be pretty muddy right now for my leaders as well as the only thing that has changed so far for our SL team is we have a separate team(former SL employees) who does breakout in the morning who then flips to pushing the truck in the other parts of the store while a SL team comes in later. This hurts our team since we are pretty much forced to take on two bitter employees(they would prefer to be in softlines) who just cant move as fast as the rest of flow and they are the only ones trained in the SL breakout. This hurts even more now since our flow team hours have been cut we may have like a 3-4 person wave and I need those two to be productive when they join the wave with the rest of the team.

Mine still unload and break out. They also still push. Staging z racks for the day team lasted all of a weekend. They do not pull or backstock. Backroom has plenty of time these days to still do out for them.

We just found out yesterday that we(backroom) are in charge of backstocking after letting it pile up the last few days. I really don't understand the whole e2e process yet since it seems to be pretty muddy right now for my leaders as well as the only thing that has changed so far for our SL team is we have a separate team(former SL employees) who does breakout in the morning who then flips to pushing the truck in the other parts of the store while a SL team comes in later. This hurts our team since we are pretty much forced to take on two bitter employees(they would prefer to be in softlines) who just cant move as fast as the rest of flow and they are the only ones trained in the SL breakout. This hurts even more now since our flow team hours have been cut we may have like a 3-4 person wave and I need those two to be productive when they join the wave with the rest of the team.

Mine still unload and break out. They also still push. Staging z racks for the day team lasted all of a weekend. They do not pull or backstock. Backroom has plenty of time these days to still do out for them.

We have no backroom team at all so we have to do our own everything.
Also, I'm pretty sure in the style rollout it says to do your own pulls and backstock but I'd have to read it over again to make sure. We were already doing everything in the rollout plus some so I didn't really pay attention to it. Lol

They will be performances out and new, cheaper TMs will be hired to replace them. Target sees TMs as just replaceable cogs, and to them a new cog is just as good as an experienced cog.

How do high-performing tms get performanced out? And normally, I'd agree about the replaceable-ness of these people, however my store seems different in this way. We have an STL, couple ETLs, and TLs/tms who have been with Target for many, many years. Even the bottom performers in this group are still there.

While I don't think they will performance people out. I do imagine the biggest threat to end to end is veterans unwilling to change.

I imagine leadership is willing to take some attrition with this change with the idea they can train the newbies with the suggestion they won't complain about how things used to be

We have no backroom team at all so we have to do our own everything.
Also, I'm pretty sure in the style rollout it says to do your own pulls and backstock but I'd have to read it over again to make sure. We were already doing everything in the rollout plus some so I didn't really pay attention to it. Lol
It does but my vml has told the etl it's not happening. They simply can't handle it. They are on day two of the men's adjacency. After moving everything in basics they had to get around to the rest today... doubt they finished. Market is going a bit better... They still drag a cage with them for cardboard. And take forever to stock.

It does but my vml has told the etl it's not happening. They simply can't handle it. They are on day two of the men's adjacency. After moving everything in basics they had to get around to the rest today... doubt they finished. Market is going a bit better... They still drag a cage with them for cardboard. And take forever to stock.
The good thing about end to end to me in SL is we really don't have to do adjacencies or remerchandise what the flow team was pushing from the truck anymore. Since we have dedicated tms in each dept in SL they are remerchandising while they push their racks from the truck. Plus we now have the new VMGs that replace VAs so it makes it much easier and we have more time so we can do other things.

At the store I'm at the food team just started. The custom blocks changed in receiving due to the U boats. The rest of us TMs are skeptical. But onward we go.

The good thing about end to end to me in SL is we really don't have to do adjacencies or remerchandise what the flow team was pushing from the truck anymore. Since we have dedicated tms in each dept in SL they are remerchandising while they push their racks from the truck. Plus we now have the new VMGs that replace VAs so it makes it much easier and we have more time so we can do other things.
I'm hoping we get there, the tls still seem to spend most of their day assigning tasks to tms, worrying about ordering lunch or getting Starbucks, and making messes for others to eventually handle.

We haven't fully established the new process (flow still push market but with uboats) yet but from what I've seen, we're getting a lot of fucking challenge. Because we don't bowl market anymore and using uboats, for some reason they don't read the damn DPCIs.

Oh I'm waiting to see how our numbers and backroom aisles will look like once these market team start pulling/backstocking

Our numbers totally tanked- it was pretty dramatic. It was disappointing, because we've been killing it all year on BRLA, but on a super petty level it felt kind of good to see it tank that much as soon as those tasks were taken away from the backroom team.

That being said, BRLA is the absolute least of our market team's concerns right now- they're not even getting through the truck and routinely spend the entirety of non-truck days backstocking the previous day's stuff :confused:

Back