MEGATHREAD End to End team PILOT

We will be starting this in 2 weeks. We already have stopped the wave push process for some time so now we are adding this. Backroom, Instocks, pog, and pricing teams go away. Those tms go into certain depts of the store. The store is broken up into food, essentials (which is most of hardlines), and style (softlines, cosmetics, and domestics/dec home). Our flow tl and myself (PPTL) become sales floor TLs. Our brtl will stay in the back and be in charge of unload, SFS, flexibles, transition sorting, pre-ties. We are responsible for every thing in our areas. Example- push truck, backstock truck, pull/push/bs autos, research shoot/pull/push/bs, ptms, pogs- planning, setting, pull/push/bs, price change, abandons, zone. It will be interesting that's for sure. As we start to do this I will update what works and what doesn't.
Honestly i could kinda see this working.... each department gets 1 backroom team member... i guess Essentials might be 2 since bigger area... then each department gets 3 or 4 flow...maybe 2 if the area is small... then 1 pricing/instocks .... then 1 pog trained team member who can do the revisions and teach salesfloor team members when there is a big set.. and probably 3 or 4 sales floor team members per a team... so all together each department gets about 12 team members at the most... i could see it working... guess the only problem i see is scheduling.. is mytime going to pick anyone on the team to push truck, backroom, pricing etc..... or are the TLs going to keep ppl in there work centers. And hopefully one team doesnt get all the bad apples who are lazy and call out

The way it was described by a PA, was that market was essentially going to operate like its own store within the store. Didn't hear much mention of other teams being divided up and owning specific departments. Could be a trial run for the rest of the store, but at my store, certainly, there aren't enough specialized team members (instocks/pog/pricing) to go all the way around; cross-training to load more responsibility on to each individual team member will likely be the result of that.

On a side note, I really hate the term "owning" in the business world. Responding to issues with "s/he owns that department" is code for "how the fuck should I know, that's their fucking problem".

Exactly what I was thinking and this sound like they let Tina back into the fold. This plan is grade A Platinum Crazy. I hope the Backroom's Accuracy and all others report will no longer mean anything because it is all going to go down hard and fast. the last thing I'd want to see is a bunch of SF, Flow and what not wandering the BR trying to pull or backstock.
Yeah. I don't want to go there. If I can save br work then I'll do it. But all I can see is trouble. Our br rocks and they have been patient w me. Thanks guys.

All I'm getting from this is that they are getting rid of backroom. Well, what happened to the brtms in your stores. I'm a brtm, both day side and closings. I didn't apply to backroom so I could still push on the floor and interact with guess >..>

Honestly i could kinda see this working.... each department gets 1 backroom team member... i guess Essentials might be 2 since bigger area... then each department gets 3 or 4 flow...maybe 2 if the area is small... then 1 pricing/instocks .... then 1 pog trained team member who can do the revisions and teach salesfloor team members when there is a big set.. and probably 3 or 4 sales floor team members per a team... so all together each department gets about 12 team members at the most... i could see it working... guess the only problem i see is scheduling.. is mytime going to pick anyone on the team to push truck, backroom, pricing etc..... or are the TLs going to keep ppl in there work centers. And hopefully one team doesnt get all the bad apples who are lazy and call out
But that sounds exactly like what they are trying to NOT do. They want everyone to be able to do everything, I assume so they can do it all for their specific aisles.

And hours will be cut and TMs will have to own 10 + aisles.

It will be interesting to see how they allocate hours for the tm's doing this new work. Are they reducing or eliminating plano, instocks, price accuracy, do you know? We had to work overnights for the cosmetic reset a few months ago so I'm curious how that will work if plano doesn't exist.

But that sounds exactly like what they are trying to NOT do. They want everyone to be able to do everything, I assume so they can do it all for their specific aisles.
That is how corporate wants it but in reality its not going to work out that way... especially not in the beginning... that would take too many hours to train everyone to do everything.. maybe after a few months in the new process we can cross train but to launch the idea everyone needs to stay in there work centers

Responding to issues with "s/he owns that department" is code for "how the fuck should I know, that's their fucking problem".
Bingo. Even at the early stage my store is at in this, I've already heard "That's not my problem to worry about" and "I'm not giving my team's hours to help with that" from people worryingly high on the totem pole. The whole logistics process in general has no team feeling left whatsoever; everyone has to think about themselves first.

Problem is getting skilled, motivated individuals who would be willing to do that level of work for the level of pay and limited hours.

On the flip side, minimum wage in my area is going up to 15 over the next 5 years. In July this year it's going up to 11.25.

I've worked as Market TM for a few years, and I often encounter outs, price accuracy stuff, etc., and I have to ignore it all because I've been specifically told it's not my problem. So I feel like there is a lot of stuff I could do if I was empowered to do them. I already do pfresh pulls occasionally, and I do most of my own guest pulls, so I personally would enjoy the change, at least in theory. The reality is that all comes down to workload : payroll ratio. If they use this as an excuse to further cut hours in order to deal with things like the minimum wage increase in my area, then it is going to be an epic shitshow.

^That. While I would be happy to take on the additional responsibility entailed with end to end I can't accept accountability because I don't touch every product that is stocked in 'my' area. At last count as many as four other people zone, work pulls or whatever there. There is a wide variety of work ethic and no accountability.

If this whole thing goes the way it's supposed to, then every department in the store must have versatile/cross-trained members, accomplishing more with fewer hands touching the process. Think Spot's going to cough up store-wide raises (outside of the mandatory, naturally) to compensate roughly everyone on the lower end having to take on more?

GTgaoOr.gif

Oh, bonus thought: this makes attrition much more significant. Losing one team member will be like losing three now, even though the rest of their department can pick up the slack, it wouldn't surprise me to see certain departments falling way behind with even a short string of absences.

Last edited:
My store has flow and Plano overnights year round. Are overnight stores being included in this and how would that work?

For major transitions we will use non truck days and pull in people from all teams to assist. If we are setting toys and everything moves then we will use a lot of people 2-3 days rather then 3 people for 5 days.

I just sat in with my ETL as she started to write the schedule. We planned out who would do pricing what days and times. We planned who was going to pull batches, breakout truck, push racks, backstock, and do the workload. We are going to use brand tms along with my 2 pricing girls who are now SL to do markdowns. I actually liked the way it looks on paper for SL. The harder part to figure out is going to be HL.

The good thing about this is we already have been training flow tms to set sales planners and help the pog team during big sets so a lot of them know how to do small things. I have also been gradually training other tms to do pricing so they have a general knowledge of it but aren't experts. Over the next couple weeks I'm going to work with the other TLs and teach them pricing. all the TLs know pog already so that's no big deal for any of them.

RFID will stay the same TM who does it now and it will still fall under our BRTL. The BRTL will also still do the audit.

Last edited:

We separated out all teams pretty evenly however we do have a lot of cross trained tms that already know a lot of areas. We totally ripped apart mytime. Deleted a lot of shifts and started from scratch. We use shift labels for every team member so we and they know what they are doing that day. It's the only way to keep it all orgazined.

Interesting. What do you think about the pog team going away? I thought the whole point of having separate teams for pog, backroom, flow, instocks, etc. was so that they could be good and efficient at what they do. If everyone does everything, the overall quality of work will suffer.
Ding ding!

We have a winner. Working flow is one thing. Setting POGs is another issue.

And I honestly think some of the BR would quit before having to work on the sales floor every day.

Back