MEGATHREAD End to End team PILOT

Is anyone currently staggering their flow team? How is off load working, do you still have bowlers? How many people do you use. Was the team receptive to the change in the schedule? What works super well and what are the challenges?

What does this process mean for early morning BR team?
For the grocery operating model, it will still exist but will get less hours due to not touching grocery. For the end to end pilot, it sounds like the goal is to eliminate backstock completely. So that is a good question...

What does this process mean for early morning BR team?
All but a couple BR TMs (those handling bulk/transition and SFS/FF basically) at my store were moved to flow and "own" their own departments as well now. On non-truck days it seems like they only staff 1-2 BRTMs just to handle the normal BR tasks.

This is making me wonder if they're going to start staffing the floor better on off truck days too or they'll be right back to one BR TM and two salesfloor TMs, only now expected to do all the daily roles for the whole store. I feel like this method could definitely boost sales if each section was given ample dedicated time and attention like our Brand areas are, but it will probably be DOA once payroll slashing breaks it down.

Our group has been doing something similar to this for a year now. We have no backroom team members and flow takes care of it's own backstock. It sounds like this will be a more structured version rolled out to more stores. And yes backroom location accuracy and backroom brand have never been worse.
What does the BRTL do? How is bulk/transition handled when it comes off the truck?

I wonder how custom blocks work. As a 6am process we have whole sections on pallets because the flow team waves through them before opening. It sounds like with this process there will be no wave, so might we have to readjust the line? Is this where palletized unloads come into play? Do we get to have pallets on the floor the whole day?

I believe in this idea, however to be successful I think that the ratio of SF to Logistics TL's needs to be EQUAL or at least 1/3 (At least in my store where all deliveries, sans Vendors happen before store open).

Right now in my $43M+ store we have 1 Flow TL and 1 BR TL, while we have 7 Sales Floor TLs

Whose job seems to literally be to bitch all the time, complain, and then maybe do a little work, but after, and certainly in that order

While Logistics side I see them do a lot of work, then complain, then bitch all the time. and again, certainly in that order.

Last edited:
I don't know much specifically about any of these new pilots - but I can contribute to what has been happening in my store.

A couple weeks ago our flow + CnS team completely split up, will CnS becoming their own team, coming in at their own time (flow starts at 4, CnS starts at 5/6) with their PA's and market TM's pushing all of CnS by themselves rather than pulling Flow team members - which has been working out okay, because it's lead to the rest of my team finishing the truck unload at a more reasonable time. It's also been mentioned that CnS will be taking over the rest of market too in a short period of time - but that could still be in planning and not actually be implemented for awhile. All of this is potentially a good thing for my store as our flow team has gone from - 40 people to 12-14 in the last year.

As for End-to-End pilot, the first I'd heard of it is today after the truck unload, when I was informed that my hours were getting cut by 50% and that I was no longer going to be doing Electronics. They said that our store was starting a new "end-to-end" approach where they were going to have a dayside Electronics team member come in an hour earlier to push all of what used to be my own stuff.

I realize that it's his first day doing the breakouts and electronics push, but if it takes five hours for three security repacks, a dvd repack and a handful of other boxes, I don't see this working out well for them. Especially during Christmas when they get 25 security repacks, no help, and no extra time. :rolleyes: been one of those days for me.

I think after all of this crap time at Target will be ending again. 12-16 hours isn't enough for me to survive on, and I've had some issues with my new ETL - so maybe it's for the better.

We will be starting this in 2 weeks. We already have stopped the wave push process for some time so now we are adding this. Backroom, Instocks, pog, and pricing teams go away. Those tms go into certain depts of the store. The store is broken up into food, essentials (which is most of hardlines), and style (softlines, cosmetics, and domestics/dec home). Our flow tl and myself (PPTL) become sales floor TLs. Our brtl will stay in the back and be in charge of unload, SFS, flexibles, transition sorting, pre-ties. We are responsible for every thing in our areas. Example- push truck, backstock truck, pull/push/bs autos, research shoot/pull/push/bs, ptms, pogs- planning, setting, pull/push/bs, price change, abandons, zone. It will be interesting that's for sure. As we start to do this I will update what works and what doesn't.

end to end will be the end of Target . Change is not always a good thing.

Did you ever hear "If it's not broke don't fix it"

Exactly what I was thinking and this sound like they let Tina back into the fold. This plan is grade A Platinum Crazy. I hope the Backroom's Accuracy and all others report will no longer mean anything because it is all going to go down hard and fast. the last thing I'd want to see is a bunch of SF, Flow and what not wandering the BR trying to pull or backstock.

end to end will be the end of Target . Change is not always a good thing.

Did you ever hear "If it's not broke don't fix it"

I don't know, I do think something is broken. I think that tms owning a whole area will make those areas better in the long run. I can foresee a few pitfalls at first, but as those teams start to work together and know their jobs I can see it working out.

I don't know, I do think something is broken. I think that tms owning a whole area will make those areas better in the long run. I can foresee a few pitfalls at first, but as those teams start to work together and know their jobs I can see it working out.
And hours will be cut and TMs will have to own 10 + aisles.

We will be starting this in 2 weeks. We already have stopped the wave push process for some time so now we are adding this. Backroom, Instocks, pog, and pricing teams go away. Those tms go into certain depts of the store. The store is broken up into food, essentials (which is most of hardlines), and style (softlines, cosmetics, and domestics/dec home). Our flow tl and myself (PPTL) become sales floor TLs. Our brtl will stay in the back and be in charge of unload, SFS, flexibles, transition sorting, pre-ties. We are responsible for every thing in our areas. Example- push truck, backstock truck, pull/push/bs autos, research shoot/pull/push/bs, ptms, pogs- planning, setting, pull/push/bs, price change, abandons, zone. It will be interesting that's for sure. As we start to do this I will update what works and what doesn't.
Interesting. What do you think about the pog team going away? I thought the whole point of having separate teams for pog, backroom, flow, instocks, etc. was so that they could be good and efficient at what they do. If everyone does everything, the overall quality of work will suffer.

Back