Archived Project Viper

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of you guys talk about the accumulator being off. 95% of the time it's off because of one of the team members in the store. If you burn a batch it's now off, if you don't push second location it's now off, if you fake tie it's now off, if you don't push to the piece it's now off. Soo many more ways to mess it up. We are the ones who mess it up and then it becomes unmanageable. Remeber that we can also correct and reset the accumulator by item. Lots of work but can be done.

A lot of you guys talk about the accumulator being off. 95% of the time it's off because of one of the team members in the store. If you burn a batch it's now off, if you don't push second location it's now off, if you fake tie it's now off, if you don't push to the piece it's now off. Soo many more ways to mess it up. We are the ones who mess it up and then it becomes unmanageable. Remeber that we can also correct and reset the accumulator by item. Lots of work but can be done.

It is off because of all the cogs at work. I have said it already, but we have become to intricate in our replenishment process. It requires all the things working like you have said. The accumulator gets off because of those (plus so much more). The problem with the accumulator as it stands is that it HAS to leave room for all these errors, so the trigger is set to something like 50%. Because it pulls when it gets down to half (instead of say 10% left), it is naturally less efficient than it could be. The second issue is that even with us setting the accumulator to such a safe amount we STILL have issues, and every store requires a team to check on the accumulator to make sure it is working and correcting the problems. At a certain point we need to measure what it is taking to continue what we are doing versus just scrapping the whole thing... And I think VIPER is the answer to their findings.

It is the problem with the trucks as well. We are scanning and sorting them down too much. There are stores will 2200 piece trucks, 2000 in pulls, and 1000 in backstock! I am sorry, but this is incredibly sad that it is so inefficient! The goal should be to hardly pull anything out of the stockroom at all, allow your trucks to replenish the floor (since you are handling the product anyway), and get very little backstock off your trucks! The accumulator does not accomplish this at all. The accumulator keeps your floor full with product from the backroom all day, keeps backstock off the truck too much, and has too many hands on it to keep accurate.

It is the problem with the trucks as well. We are scanning and sorting them down too much. There are stores will 2200 piece trucks, 2000 in pulls, and 1000 in backstock! I am sorry, but this is incredibly sad that it is so inefficient! The goal should be to hardly pull anything out of the stockroom at all, allow your trucks to replenish the floor (since you are handling the product anyway), and get very little backstock off your trucks! The accumulator does not accomplish this at all. The accumulator keeps your floor full with product from the backroom all day, keeps backstock off the truck too much, and has too many hands on it to keep accurate.

And this is why it will never work because it all begins and ends with pushing the truck correctly. If there is an out the flow team will over push product there. It would be one thing if they over pushed product over empty shelf space with a grey dot but if has yet to be scanned you're depending on a team member to discover it and make it right. You think that happens more or less with the push all process? Same thing happens with dual locations. I don't know which is the bigger disaster going to push all or only having 3 research scan days. Actually- it's probably the combination.

And this is why it will never work because it all begins and ends with pushing the truck correctly. If there is an out the flow team will over push product there. It would be one thing if they over pushed product over empty shelf space with a grey dot but if has yet to be scanned you're depending on a team member to discover it and make it right. You think that happens more or less with the push all process? Same thing happens with dual locations. I don't know which is the bigger disaster going to push all or only having 3 research scan days. Actually- it's probably the combination.

Well, my point would be to continue the push all process. The ideal logistics process would fill as little from the backroom as possible, as much from the truck as possible, and to keep the dayside team moving product at a minimal rate (so VIPER style) so that they can focus on zone. They need to fill the key outs and lows to secure sales.

Like I have said, the accumulator cannot accomplish this. In fact, it does quite the opposite. It shoves replenishment workload down the throats of our dayside team. It fills the floor from the backroom constantly (2-3 times when only 1 trip would be required). The trucks end up having backstock come straight off of them (not filling the floor), which is ultimately unproductive workload because you are touching product once and not even filling the floor, and touching it again after its backstocked to pull it out again.

It always gets touched as it comes off the truck, so that one doesn't count. Unless they start sending wrapped pallets which will never happen. So we can either scan it and the BR team touches it or we can not scan and flow touches it, maybe BR also. Certain items should be filled from the BR of course.

It always gets touched as it comes off the truck, so that one doesn't count. Unless they start sending wrapped pallets which will never happen. So we can either scan it and the BR team touches it or we can not scan and flow touches it, maybe BR also. Certain items should be filled from the BR of course.

The only solution is for the stores to receive less product. While it would mean less time wasted by the logistics teams handling excess product, it would also result in more items being out of stock, which would mean more disappointed guests and red survey scores.

You are ignoring the life cycle of the product. Take two examples, both starting with an item full on the shelf...

Situation A:
Product is Full on Shelf w/ BR Locs
Items Sells to 50% Capacity
Item is dropped in CAF, Pulled, and Stocked to 100%
Accumulator orders from DC
Item arrives on Trailer (Item is now at 80% Capacity after a few days)
Item goes straight to Backstock
Product Sells to 50% Capacity etc...

Situation B:
Item Sells to 50% Capacity
Accumulator orders from DC (skipped step above)
Salesfloor ONLY fills if item gets visually low with VIPER (which in this example it does not)
Item Arrives on Trailer and goes straight to SF
Extra (if any) is BSed with remaining BR Locs that did not move unnecessarily

You cut out a step of the item being filled unless necessary. Only if its visually becoming light do we need to take action. It always gets touched when coming off the truck, so we need to utilize the trailer to fill our floor, not our backroom.

It is kind of funny when I stated at Target a TL owed an area had TMs just for that area, scheduled that area, you zoned, helped guests, shot research, shot batched, pulled it and filled, set end caps, took care clearance disco etc. and the trucks were push all. All that ended because it was considered to labor intensive. So now trucks were scanned, teams created for research, CAF pulls to keep the floor full all to save payroll. Now it sounds like Target is trying the same thing all over again minus the labor. Frankly keeping it the way it is or going with Viper makes no difference if you do not have payroll and are depending on half trained team members who do not care because they get payed nothing and work 14 hours a week. Be ready for lots of missing labels and flexed over product that saves having to pull and push more stuff later.

You are ignoring the life cycle of the product. Take two examples, both starting with an item full on the shelf...

Situation A:

Unless they changed it, that's not how it works when unloading the truck. If the accumulator thinks even 1 piece from a case is needed on the floor, it's marked as push and sent to the floor.

Situation A:

Unless they changed it, that's not how it works when unloading the truck. If the accumulator thinks even 1 piece from a case is needed on the floor, it's marked as push and sent to the floor.

I wouldn't be completely aware, my store is push all by choice in a high volume Super. Even so, that is not the step VIPER is working on. The point is that we continually fill the floor from our BR before the truck arrives (those 72 hours prior to the truck) when it may not be necessary.

Situation A:
Product Sells to 50% Capacity etc...

Situation B:
Item Sells to 50% Capacity
Accumulator orders from DC (skipped step above)
Salesfloor ONLY fills if item gets visually low with VIPER (which in this example it does not)
Item Arrives on Trailer and goes straight to SF
Extra (if any) is BSed with remaining BR Locs that did not move unnecessarily

You cut out a step of the item being filled unless necessary. Only if its visually becoming light do we need to take action. It always gets touched when coming off the truck, so we need to utilize the trailer to fill our floor, not our backroom.

You have the right idea, and it works pretty well in most areas of the store. There are some areas of the store that things get kinked up.

For example: frozen and dairy. If you wait to shoot outs when your DPCI is getting low, chances are that it won't. It then gets replenished on the next food truck and your product in the back room goes out of date. Honestly I think the best solution to that is ON NON FDC DAYS early morning POG fills or a manual CAF (providing they turn manual CAFs on which they can do at will) and another set of POG fills late in the day. The first set should be followed with research once it's been pushed. Counts need to be checked and corrected on any excessive items that came out in the batch.

Another example: Heath and Beauty/CHEM/Pets. People buy that stuff all day long every day. Outs and research need to be shot constantly, and by that I don't meen the same DPCI multiple times a day. But the area does need to be covered thoroughly on a daily basis with a good in stocks routine. I don't wait until it's "critically low" I always shoot for depth in areas like this, it's the only way your gonna have time to breath. If I get bogged down for a day or two for what ever reason I'll drop a couple POG fill in trouble spots to get my depth back the quickest way possible.

Could the same apply for grocery? That will depend on your passion for product rotation. Who hasn't worked in Grocery with out cursing the FLOW team. I know it's not an excuse but it is the reason, TIME. If you pack the shelves extremely tight in grocery product rotation becomes next to impossible With the time your given to PUSH a truck. Viper works extreemly well in dry Grocery, just keep your backroom in check and your paper and CHEM fully stocked.

The only solution is for the stores to receive less product. While it would mean less time wasted by the logistics teams handling excess product, it would also result in more items being out of stock, which would mean more disappointed guests and red survey scores.

We went from a 3 trucks a week to 6 (yet another test). Not counting 4th Q our trucks went from 2500 pieces to around 900. The vision was that more product would go strait to the floor and not get back stocked off the truck, even though we are a PUSH all any way? Does it work in reality? I'm sure it has to some degree, but I don't really see it doing what it was meant to, we are being told it an issue with the supply chain part of out company. We still have zero on hands and a crap ton of back stock. But it sure is nice only dealing with 900 piece trucks.

We went from a 3 trucks a week to 6 (yet another test). Not counting 4th Q our trucks went from 2500 pieces to around 900. The vision was that more product would go strait to the floor and not get back stocked off the truck, even though we are a PUSH all any way? Does it work in reality? I'm sure it has to some degree, but I don't really see it doing what it was meant to, we are being told it an issue with the supply chain part of out company. We still have zero on hands and a crap ton of back stock. But it sure is nice only dealing with 900 piece trucks.

There is a labor dispute in the west coast ports so product isn't getting off loaded and to our supply chain. Instead of X-mas flood its a trickle.. I say keep the back of your mind that we could get an avalanche of X-mas clearance in January.

A

There is a labor dispute in the west coast ports so product isn't getting off loaded and to our supply chain. Instead of X-mas flood its a trickle.. I say keep the back of your mind that we could get an avalanche of X-mas clearance in January.

Anything food or dated, yes we probably will get. Anything else, they'll store until next year.

Has that been confirmed? Cause we In-Stocks are the red headed stepchildren in my store so we don't get any information other than passing comments. We had heard it was on the table but it was also possible they would dump it as clearance and try to get some money out of it.

Last I heard they were still deciding whether they were going to ship the stuff before Christmas and have a ton for clearance or store it all until next year. I think they were leaning toward holding onto it, but then we've got to consider the cost of storing it all. That's a lot of open to buy dollars tied up in unproductive inventory, although it's less money we'd spend on the merch next year.

Last I heard they were still deciding whether they were going to ship the stuff before Christmas and have a ton for clearance or store it all until next year. I think they were leaning toward holding onto it, but then we've got to consider the cost of storing it all. That's a lot of open to buy dollars tied up in unproductive inventory, although it's less money we'd spend on the merch next year.

Ok what we know. I lean toward a clearance dump, since they always change product every year, even the tags, box art and it would look out of place. I would rather deal with a dump cause it flies out the door and they could claim it as profit for 2014 rather than a loss for 2015.

Ok what we know. I lean toward a clearance dump, since they always change product every year, even the tags, box art and it would look out of place. I would rather deal with a dump cause it flies out the door and they could claim it as profit for 2014 rather than a loss for 2015.

The biggest issue I have is the opportunity cost of sending this all to stores. First, there is only so much room on a trailer and this Christmas product would be taking the place of other product (unless Target opts to send additional trailers for extended periods of time which would mean retaining seasonal hires and keeping the DCs running at full force to get non-profitable product through). If they ship the product, it would mean other product is pushed behind it. Second, there is only so much room on the shelves. At a certain point much of this product will have to be salvage, and the cost would therefore increase even more. It would mean we couldn't set the product we do have or it would have less shelf space for less time. To display that much paper in stores would mean that something else is not available, and is it worth the trade off?

The biggest issue I have is the opportunity cost of sending this all to stores. First, there is only so much room on a trailer and this Christmas product would be taking the place of other product (unless Target opts to send additional trailers for extended periods of time which would mean retaining seasonal hires and keeping the DCs running at full force to get non-profitable product through). If they ship the product, it would mean other product is pushed behind it. Second, there is only so much room on the shelves. At a certain point much of this product will have to be salvage, and the cost would therefore increase even more. It would mean we couldn't set the product we do have or it would have less shelf space for less time. To display that much paper in stores would mean that something else is not available, and is it worth the trade off?

One way around this send it to large stores like mine which have the space to keep a small clearance x-mas area up for a while. DC's are already sending my store pallets of damaged product for us to try and sell, why not clearance?

One way around this send it to large stores like mine which have the space to keep a small clearance x-mas area up for a while. DC's are already sending my store pallets of damaged product for us to try and sell, why not clearance?

I assume it's the Green Salvage pallet?

I assume it's the Green Salvage pallet?

As I understand it, stuff damaged at the DC that the product is fine just the packaging is damaged. So we "As is" and we sell it. I don't know the details of the program but that is what I know.

gotcha... couldn't imagine you trying to "sell" a pallet of green salvage. Especially something like salvaged See Spot Save.

Yeah, they must've pushed it. We got a ton this weekend.

So, now that we are in snap-back mode, how did Project Viper work out during this past holiday season for those stores piloting it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back