MEGATHREAD End to End team PILOT

I'm so ticked off right now I worked my entire 8 hour shift in the back room back stocking SL. from two trucks!!! I was off 2 days and came into a mess no one (ETL's) bothered to train any of the other SL. Team members how to back stock I guess they expect me to keep doing it all, and the bad part is I was supposed to be setting POG's now I'm behind AGAIN!

We have 11 but now that backroom can absolutely NO LONGER help us WHATSOEVER with our freight and receiving backstock we're still short staffed. :mad:

This is a huge problem we've been having too. They've slashed hours for our BR guys who need them, and now we've had a mass exodus of experienced BR TM's, shit next month i'll be the next most experienced BR TM, and i've only been there since Nov of last year!

Other departments have taken some of our BR guys, or they've shifted them to new areas, but from what little i've been told, BR hours have been slashed in half and will basically be half of that by Sept. This has completely fucked us hard because our Market team specifically is an absolute joke, they've got 8ish plus people and are hiring more, and yet can barely finish even light backstock. Two days ago the STL pulled all of us from the backroom to clear out the freezer of backstock because the market team kept avoiding it till you almost couldn't get in past the doors.

They've slashed hours for our BR guys who need them, and now we've had a mass exodus of experienced BR TM's, shit next month i'll be the next most experienced BR TM, and i've only been there since Nov of last year!

Don't worry, they can hire anyone off the street and they'll be just as good, if not better than all those experienced TMs that just left!

/sarcasm

I think mathematically you are looking at a few aspects wrong (although some of the concerns are valid).

First, I just want to touch on your analysis of the eaches model and its supposed added cost. The current problem in the retail market is the adaptation of our supply chain models between brick and mortar delivery and online users. Where brick and mortar establishments have been receiving their product by the case (the easiest and most obvious method), online users will require their delivery to be an individual delivery of single items. If you look at Walmart, they took the less efficient but easier answer, to build dedicated DCs for online orders. This is a DC that once it receives its shipments, has to break down its cases to allow for shipment to online orders. The products in its main supply chain to stores cannot fulfill the orders because their items are stuck in cases until their end of cycle. If there is a SFS option, the product must arrive and complete its cycle before it can then ship from the store.

This is what I thought at first, multiplicity of operations. However, after researching this topic I discovered the rationale for such has more to do with that online and store retail functions are indeed two separate businesses. Similar, yes, but they are actually two distinct business models requiring a different set of processes to meet their profitability requirements.

The primary reason Walmart has dedicated over 10M sq ft to online fulfillment. It is a separate business unit.

Think of it in this way; “One cannot be a slave to two masters."

I think mathematically you are looking at a few aspects wrong (although some of the concerns are valid).

This system Target is implementing may be a bit more costly, but is far more agile. By adapting the supply chain of its entire operation to this new environment they are accomplishing a few things. First, they are not locking up merchandise at any point in the cycle. All of its product stays in the main supply chain and does not get stuck at any dedicated DC. Because of this, an online order can get placed and almost instantly can be fulfilled even if the product is currently in the main chain going to stores. Because we are converting the items to eaches (over cases) sooner in the chain, it allows us to pull off individuals for online orders far earlier than anyone else. Second, it removes your concern of capacities matching case quantities without fighting our vendors.

First, I wouldn’t describe our system as agile. More of a stop gap measure until we can get a handle on the online order business. We totally whiffed on that years ago when other retailers where creating new business models.

To be agile, you have to be efficient and have capacity at what you do in order to be able to respond quickly. We are no where near there at this time. After researching our position, we are behind in all things including capacity, the most difficult one to overcome. It takes years to catch up in that category.

In a previous post, I pointed out that the SFS process touches merchandise eleven (11) times vs. five (5) times in an Online DC operation. That just adds a lot of additional cost to an online order.

That’s the reason our Online DC’s are more efficient (agile) than Store DC/SFS’s when it come to order fulfillment, a more direct process.

Like I previously posted, omni channel businesses like ours are composed of two business units; online and retail.

IMO, it’s a good business practice to supplement one another as long as it is part of the business plan.

I could not find a current example where a sizable retailer has merged their entire omni channel distribution processes either.

Our biggest problem is that we do not embrace case quantity in our operations. Our buyers should be aware of this when forecasting and placing orders too.

Another place to look at this is within the planogram origination process. No shelf or peg quantities should ever be set without case quantities or multiples as the controlling factor.

Replenishment should be based upon case quantity multiples as well.

The only time we should see pieces ("eaches") is when you have slow movers, large master pack break downs, and/or limited quantities.

Target would benefit greatly in revamping their current inventory system by vertically and horizontally integrating with the supply chain. Spot has to come to the realization that how we conduct business is not a secret.

There are tons of opportunities to control cost with returnable packaging and other supplier arrangements.

Second, I wanted to talk about the delivery frequency and cost. There are many points of discussion here, but I would start with the idea that 7 deliveries = more cost. While I would have agreed that this is true at first glance, remember that logistically it does not end at delivery. 7 smaller deliveries that go to the shelf are of similar cost to 3 shipments too large to fit on the shelf, and have to be stored (taking up space = money) at our stores until there is room for them. ULV stores also already staff the same essentially on either model. Where you would schedule a 100% crew 3 days a week, you could do a 40% crew 7 days a week (but during the day when the store is operating). You also would save tons of payroll on the unload (I would guess most stores would average 10-15 hours per trailer) since you can go down to 2-3 TMs for 20 minutes on eaches. Finally, the delivery frequency may increase but the FDC is already of similar model. You average 2-4 stores per trailer depending on size and routes. The point is that the flexibility added to our supply chain would likely save us in cost.

Let’s look at the seven (7) deliveries vs. three (3) deliveries cost wise.

Either process requires a 100% position staffing due in part from it being a storewide replenishment process not an area/department replenishment process.

E2E does not appear to be a time saver overall either. It did not reduce the number of team members required or the total number of hours overall. It just shifted them to be more in line with the operational aspects of E2E responsibilities and store operating hours. Basically all it has done so far is to merge all the team functions into departments while shifting start times closer to store operating times.

If anything, it increased the number hours required of an individual team member due to multiplicity of responsibilities.

I just don’t see an operational cost benefit to increasing the number of trucks/week based on E2E.

However, it does make sense in that the increased frequency would better support the SFS process based upon online order trends.

Back to the additional truck cost. There is a minimum cost of putting a truck on the road, about $2.10/mile. I estimate it cost about an average of $1K/store per shipment across the company.

So with E2E in 3 LV 7 day shipment scenario, you could save about $700/week per store +/- depending on no trucks and sharing the cost
((1K X 7)/3 – 3K).

However, would you offset the additional operational cost involved to load and unload the addition trucks in this scenario? No. You’re only saving about of $175/truck for each additional truck (4 extra trucks).

So what is really taking place?

A LV store at about 125K sq ft at $25m annual sales roughly grosses about $200/sq ft annually or about $.55/sq ft per day. If 10% is allocated to back stock to support daily sales (12.5K sq ft), you have to save enough to offset the cost of $.55/sq ft per day of sales for allocated back stock (not including operational cost). This is roughly $6,875/day based on gross sales.

Not much of a dent at $700/week (not including additional operational cost).

The real problem is that you end up loosing about $66K of inventory/week. My ETL told me that the average truck has a sales value of about $100K.

Current sales value per weekly truck shipments would roughly be $300K (3 X 100K) per week per store. The new sales value would be about $234K (7 X 100K/3) per store at seven (7) trucks a week.

I find it hard to believe that we over ship $66K in merchandise weekly. We do have our head scratchers, but I don’t think it’s this extreme.

This is most likely the basis for E2E and its additional processes to be successful. Mr. Valdez is leaning out the store inventory so we can accommodate the increased daily workload.Not a bad idea to have more team members on the floor, but what happens during peak times?

This is also dangerous place to put Spot in given our internal problems with inventory.

As for the FDC, they have already acknowledged publicly that it would increase cost substantially with the new setup. It was even severely criticized to my surprise in some of the publications I read about the subject.

I would be willing to bet that LV stores are taking a beating on these additional trucks.

We have got to quit dabbling groceries in LV stores unless they can come up with a better plan. The cost vs. benefit just is not there IMO.

Again, your math is a bit off in spots. The trailer frequency increases but you are looking at the model as a closed system (1 store on current model vs 1 store eaches model). The freight being received by the store remains the same over the course of the week, but if a store is currently receiving 300K in merchandise per week on 3 trucks, the eaches model would be shipping this same amount over 7 (or 42K per trailer). This would be split with other stores on similar routes, so the cost would remain similar. This is beneficial in that it adds flexibility to trailer fills. Currently, this ULV will receive at least one (if not two) trailers in a week that are not full (and therefore a waste) and they can now be combined on the eaches model. I have gone in previous posts to expand on the added benefit to this.

It also seems that the cause to the confusion is your mix up of the end to end models and the eaches models. End to End is a formation of teams that logistically handle departments within the store, while eaches is the breaking down of cases early in our supply chain model to allow for online fulfillment at any given point and the removal of a need for separate online fulfillment centers.

Again, your math is a bit off in spots. The trailer frequency increases but you are looking at the model as a closed system (1 store on current model vs 1 store eaches model). The freight being received by the store remains the same over the course of the week, but if a store is currently receiving 300K in merchandise per week on 3 trucks, the eaches model would be shipping this same amount over 7 (or 42K per trailer). This would be split with other stores on similar routes, so the cost would remain similar. This is beneficial in that it adds flexibility to trailer fills. Currently, this ULV will receive at least one (if not two) trailers in a week that are not full (and therefore a waste) and they can now be combined on the eaches model. I have gone in previous posts to expand on the added benefit to this.

It also seems that the cause to the confusion is your mix up of the end to end models and the eaches models. End to End is a formation of teams that logistically handle departments within the store, while eaches is the breaking down of cases early in our supply chain model to allow for online fulfillment at any given point and the removal of a need for separate online fulfillment centers.

I'm looking at the total value per truck on average. So if you where to replenish in the current model, your splitting a truck, in this case three ways, you would loose 234K/per week based upon sales value capacity.

I suspect it would be the same to ratio in regards to piece per piece rate, sales value would drop given the lack of additional freight volume per store.

Contrary to what you may think I understand E2E and "eaches". :p

However, they are dependent upon one another based upon Mr. Valdez's explanations.

You could not possibly run a E2E process efficiently with our current logistics process, you would literally swamp the boat with a the truck process. Something that a lot of us are experiencing right now. Too much to process at one time with all of the additional requirements.

E2E tightens everything up by allowing more team members to physically manage an area. In other words, your inventory cycles are more true and accurate given that you can physically maintain the system at all times. This where the "eaches" make this possible. Your dealing with more manageable incoming merchandise already set to go to an area. Your stream lining the truck process.

However, this will come at a cost given that your adding more touches inside your supply chain when you break case pack quantities.

That being said, you're able to better control incoming inventory. That's one of the upsides to E2E.

Like I mentioned earlier, we are in a stop gap mode. We just don't have capacity to fulfill on line orders without store support. The reason that a store like I'm in just received notice that we going to a 1K/day order rate. A UPS pup will be backed up in the center bay come 4th Qtr.

Mr. Valdez most likely picked up on this rather quickly upon his first analysis. I know I did when I researched the topic.

He looked at every available option upon arrival so that he could quickly turn things around in short order until we can catch up.

We can fulfill quite a few online orders at our Online DC operations, but not enough to keep pace with the demand and our competitions ability at this time. That's where the other side of the business comes in, to make up the difference where we can. It's not profitable enough to continue it long term from what I have learned.

It's basically our only solution at this time to keep pace with the demand of online orders.

We can't be in position where SFS does substantial amount of that business long term and remain profitable. Too much SFS volume will drag margins down significantly due to the burden created by shipping from the stores inventory.

You're not going to replace 3 case trucks with 3 watches model trucks. I'd say most trucks I saw at our store were $150-180K. Anyway. Instead of sending 150k in case packs to one store, one truck may split the truck a number of ways (50:25:25, thirds, half, etc) to fill wasted space. The touches decreases in that instead of taking freight into DC > warehouse> pick and label > load > unload > push. THEN > backstock if needed > pull > push. In that scenario you're close to ten touches. Strictly talking touches, if you look at DC > (warehouse) > breakdown > load > unload > push, it's a similar count. The difference is loading racks instead of cases, so by rolling it right off the truck there no unload teams needed. Roll right off the truck and park for working as TMs come in.

Throwing out estimates we don't have access to is a rough way to go at it and criticize spot so blatantly. Until you have concrete numbers there's just things we can't account for. overhead, operational costs, labor, anything from the freight getting to DC then to the store is mostly unknown at store level.

The DC handling makes or breaks the process, it's value added for stores to not have all the backroom nonsense. Those 150-300 hours for backroom can be shifted to the floor (mostly).

And at this point I feel like we're all just speculating on this......I strayed from the point I may have had....

The end all point here is it's speculation and we have to give it a chance. The freight coming in will match sales. The trucks will become huge autofills, with the added bonus of hopefully being sorted better than by fill group.

Been awhile since I have posted. How well my store's been doing?

Before E2E started, we had 3 Logistics O/N or Early ETLS, 1 Sr. TL, and 2 Flow TLs to run the flow process. We had another TL who was moved over to the Grocery process. 2 of those ETLs came in shortly before the E2E rollout. Soon shortly after the launch, the tenured ETL left for other opportunities (so I'm told). The dayside backroom TL took a month and a half left off on leave before quitting. A couple of weeks ago, one of the new ETLs transferred to another store up north, which I haven't looked to see if they have E2E. Shortly after that, the Sr. TL ends up quitting.

So that leaves 1 Early Logistics ETL and 2 Flow TLs to manage the unload process. The ETL of OPs is doing his best to support the last unload ETL.

Day backroom hours are slashed, just like everyone else. The average is about 28 hours for six team members. Sometimes team members work past schedule, which forces cuts from others' shifts. BR Day schedule has one opener, a mid (sometimes) and 1 or 2 closers (sometimes). There are 7 SFS team members who usually take care of upwards to 150 orders. They help out the dayside BR when they can. There are days where they struggle to keep up productivity and efficiency. We have been told by ETL-Ops that the amount will be increasing, especially with BTS around the corner.

Day BR handles Backroom 7 strategy, in-store SPU, item merge, price change (if not pulled at night), and back stocking (when possible). Backstock has continuously built up, even with the time spent maintaining it properly.

Unfortunately, our early flow and backroom teams have some productivity and efficiency issues. Can't always keep an eye on them every single second. People have other obligations such as kids, school or another job that they have to tend to. We try our best to make sure that they have all the tools they need to succeed.

Softlines team does not have sufficient time to handle their workload and maintain their backstock in the backroom. Pricing team has seen an increase in their workload, but are not able to do their scans within a reasonable amount of time every day with four people. I like our POG team, but recently they have messed up their set and tying process, which increased day BR workload with only 1 or 2 people to pull later in the day.

Dayside BR seldom has time to push to the floor properly. RIGs still get scanned but are not always pulled and pushed. The grocery TL nor the team does not always pull their grocery research, EXF, and CAF batches. They do a great job taking care of manuals, though.

Since E2E has rolled out, we have lost a handful of good, reliable people. It has been a challenge to maintain the process with the limited amount of resources and reliable workers.

You're not going to replace 3 case trucks with 3 watches model trucks. I'd say most trucks I saw at our store were $150-180K. Anyway. Instead of sending 150k in case packs to one store, one truck may split the truck a number of ways (50:25:25, thirds, half, etc) to fill wasted space. The touches decreases in that instead of taking freight into DC > warehouse> pick and label > load > unload > push. THEN > backstock if needed > pull > push. In that scenario you're close to ten touches. Strictly talking touches, if you look at DC > (warehouse) > breakdown > load > unload > push, it's a similar count. The difference is loading racks instead of cases, so by rolling it right off the truck there no unload teams needed. Roll right off the truck and park for working as TMs come in.

Throwing out estimates we don't have access to is a rough way to go at it and criticize spot so blatantly. Until you have concrete numbers there's just things we can't account for. overhead, operational costs, labor, anything from the freight getting to DC then to the store is mostly unknown at store level.

The DC handling makes or breaks the process, it's value added for stores to not have all the backroom nonsense. Those 150-300 hours for backroom can be shifted to the floor (mostly).

And at this point I feel like we're all just speculating on this......I strayed from the point I may have had....

The most disturbing thing I saw when I first arrived at Target was a hand packed truck. I had not seen one in over twenty years. I thought everyone had moved onto knockdowns, reusable containers (not cardboard boxes), or some other reusable dunnage within their logistics chains. Then I ran into system where case quantities were ignored. I could not believe it.

I spent over twenty years working with IE's (Industrial Engineers) who engineered logistics processes. I've been involved in good ones and bad ones.

I've managed freight in a JIT environment to managing multi link supply chains across borders.

I can say without hesitation that Target had a very good inventory system at one time. However, for what ever reason, it's been allowed to fall into a state of decay. We are truly behind our competition. The more I learn and research about this topic, the more I wonder what Spot's been doing the past five years. If you were in my shoes you would see it to. It's rather disturbing.

So when I point out things, it come from experience of being on the successful side and on the side that experiences the ultimate failure. Once you experience the latter, you know what it looks like before it even get there.

Don't take what I say or anyone else for that matter as being hyper critical of Spot. Just concerned about heading in the wrong direction that's all.
;).

This end to end is one of the stupidest ideas they've come up with in awhile.

So far from what I've seen it's a disaster in market. So I'm sure the rest will follow and be equally as a disaster.

Hopefully like all their bright ideas they'll change it after a month

I'm looking at the total value per truck on average. So if you where to replenish in the current model, your splitting a truck, in this case three ways, you would loose 234K/per week based upon sales value capacity.

I suspect it would be the same to ratio in regards to piece per piece rate, sales value would drop given the lack of additional freight volume per store.

Contrary to what you may think I understand E2E and "eaches". :p

However, they are dependent upon one another based upon Mr. Valdez's explanations.

You could not possibly run a E2E process efficiently with our current logistics process, you would literally swamp the boat with a the truck process. Something that a lot of us are experiencing right now. Too much to process at one time with all of the additional requirements.

E2E tightens everything up by allowing more team members to physically manage an area. In other words, your inventory cycles are more true and accurate given that you can physically maintain the system at all times. This where the "eaches" make this possible. Your dealing with more manageable incoming merchandise already set to go to an area. Your stream lining the truck process.

However, this will come at a cost given that your adding more touches inside your supply chain when you break case pack quantities.

That being said, you're able to better control incoming inventory. That's one of the upsides to E2E.

Like I mentioned earlier, we are in a stop gap mode. We just don't have capacity to fulfill on line orders without store support. The reason that a store like I'm in just received notice that we going to a 1K/day order rate. A UPS pup will be backed up in the center bay come 4th Qtr.

Mr. Valdez most likely picked up on this rather quickly upon his first analysis. I know I did when I researched the topic.

He looked at every available option upon arrival so that he could quickly turn things around in short order until we can catch up.

We can fulfill quite a few online orders at our Online DC operations, but not enough to keep pace with the demand and our competitions ability at this time. That's where the other side of the business comes in, to make up the difference where we can. It's not profitable enough to continue it long term from what I have learned.

It's basically our only solution at this time to keep pace with the demand of online orders.

We can't be in position where SFS does substantial amount of that business long term and remain profitable. Too much SFS volume will drag margins down significantly due to the burden created by shipping from the stores inventory.

I still feel you are not putting any type of value on the flexibility and reduced liability that this supply chain model allows. Sure, you are pointing out that a SFS model "adds touches" to the product, and therefore reduces its margin since its making a trip to store and then being shipped again (essentially calling this a wasted trip), but its not a full waste. The product within the store is serving a purpose and is available (also can be pulled from early in the supply chain in eaches) to our brick and mortar guests for a sale. By forming online distribution centers, these products inherently take on a risk and decreased value over time due to them only having one way of driving revenue once they are stuck there. There are also multiple cost drivers by forming a single supply chain into two chains. The largest and most obvious is a currently unknown to me increase in overall inventory. If we want to remain competitive, we would need to sit on more product to be able to fulfill two different businesses. We would need to form better forecasting tools far beyond our competitors. Amazon doesn't have to pay attention to whether they are locking up merchandise in this manner while we do.

You can see this problem in our current model in live action. Look at our Patio supply this year in all stores (terrible), but its because Target cannot really finance the risk of allowing enough inventory to supply at any given time enough of a depth of stock to fulfill both store and online. They have to either remain at bare minimum inventory levels for both (which results in OOS and long wait times on replenishment) or they have to attempt to forecast it perfectly. Either that or they need to keep these items higher up the supply chain for as long as possible and wait last minute as the needs arise to replenish (which again results in longer wait times, and lost sales to competitors who can fulfill the order faster).

Can you post in black outside the quote (like I am doing?)
The posts are exceedingly hard to read they way you are doing it now. Thanks.

Also I am curious, what brought you to target considering your credentials. Me its so happens I like near my store and its the first place that actually answered my resume.

Also I am curious, what brought you to target considering your credentials. Me its so happens I like near my store and its the first place that actually answered my resume.
I think Rock Lobster start as a TM and worked himself up to ETL.

So my store started end to end market last November and started the end/end softlines a month ago.
And today we had HR and the store manager tell us that hba/pharmacy and chemical well be under there own team.
And flow well not push it anymore but told us that payroll well be going to the new teams but dont worry there still work for you. And man is flow pissed off and wont talk to or help anyone else that is not flow or backroom everyone is concerned on what's going to happen to flow now

So my store started end to end market last November and started the end/end softlines a month ago.
And today we had HR and the store manager tell us that hba/pharmacy and chemical well be under there own team.
And flow well not push it anymore but told us that payroll well be going to the new teams but dont worry there still work for you. And man is flow pissed off and wont talk to or help anyone else that is not flow or backroom everyone is concerned on what's going to happen to flow now
Some Flow TMs will need to ask to move to the new teams.

I think my store is trying to get rid of flow all together because a few tried
To move to market and when they did
The market team only gave people from flow 20 hr or less weeks and and made them only push or backstock freezer
While people who joined market from other dayside teams got 40hr weeks and training

While flow doesn't really like to move to market, we had one. She had full hours and she was taught how to do research, backstock, and qmos/defect. She would have been taught price change, plano etc but she quit. Other dept's flow seems to be doing all right. We have 1 flow and 1 tm who used to be a cashier be the e2e tms for cosmetics and they seem to be doing fine. We have 1 flow tm in hba for e2e but flow still push for that dept.. until we get a few more, I think, for e2e for that dept.

It's not really e2e if there are people only doing certain parts of it.

I had a heart to heart with my etl hr and APBP about this today and gone are the days of the flow team members who don't want to interact or help guest

The idea here and you can see it with beauty and a&A end to end is they don't want people who are only task oriented. There is no place at Target anymore for the flow team member who hates people.

The new interview guides demand team members ready to engage guest and grow basket size. If you don't you are supposed to be deemed not ready and fail your interview. So far for beauty, electronics, front end and a&A but the rest of the store is next.

It's tough because some of our more anti social tms are some of out most productive. However I get it that the customer service has to be exceptional for the company to survive.

My two cents to my hrbp was why not keep backroom as it is. Productive backroom team members who don't want to engage with guest should remain where they are. They continue to pull fast, keep an organized backroom and clean up our logistics process.

Raising the bar for flow is a great thing for the company. We have some amazing flow team members but several are dead weight who don't help guest, push product slowly, and don't aid our sales besides throwing stuff on the shelf (often in the wrong place)

Yet because they are willing to work at 4 and 6am for low wages we hire these people anyways. That has to stop

Last edited:
Back