MEGATHREAD End to End team PILOT

The lady on cosmetics, and the guy in electronics are PISSED OFF!

They've been saying that with all the work that they have coming from trucks, how come they're not scheduled more hours to do everything management wanta them to do.
Our Flow TM who went to Cosmetics E2E has already transferred back to "regular" flow, into a different department. It was actually the opposite issue though, where she was being given 8 hour shifts and had everything done before even halfway through the day and hated just literally standing at the end of an aisle doing nothing for hours on end. Because really, people generally don't choose a job like flow because they don't like staying busy all day, lol. This will probably be a big issue when the full store goes E2E, for myself included.

I'm in Softlines E2E and I am loving it so far. At least how our store is doing it. I am in RTW/Swim and feel like I am making a difference. Zone is on point, especially in Swim. It hasn't looked this good ever, even with the BOGO sale this week. I get the hours to actually be there merchandising as well as push, do price change, and train the SFTMs. We'll see when POGS are due to be set, but so far so good.

I'm in Softlines E2E and I am loving it so far. At least how our store is doing it. I am in RTW/Swim and feel like I am making a difference. Zone is on point, especially in Swim. It hasn't looked this good ever, even with the BOGO sale this week. I get the hours to actually be there merchandising as well as push, do price change, and train the SFTMs. We'll see when POGS are due to be set, but so far so good.
Sounds like you got good ETLs.

I have overheard this. 'Its all about prioritization. If you give them an area and then you drag them off for other reasons, you are setting them up to fail. Then we have gaps when they quit. If you try to fill those gaps with others because you don't want to do it yourself, this cycle continues. It will catch up to you and it will be you one the next wave out.'

Sometimes, I love it when someone forgets that just because the door is closed, doesn't mean we can't hear your loud voice. (DTL speaking STL & ETLs in STL office)

When the hell is corporate going to roll back on this bullshit? It seems like it keeps getting worse and worse.

It will be around as long as Mr. Arthur Valdez ("Executive VP, chief supply chain and logistics officer) and co remain. Until then, it's only going to get a lot more difficult to meet their new expectations. Target just does not have the internal infrastructure and dedicated personnel to implement such changes. Amazon might have the ability and infrastructure, but Target clearly does not. If we did, this thread wouldn't exist.

Even worse, they haven't even demonstrated that they are interested in seeing what effect it will have at the store level (no specific beta plan for the entire process prior to company wide implementation, nor the appearance of input/feedback from the store level team members). This is the most disturbing thing, a clear lack of or a willingness to be involved at the operational level. This has the feel of and the appearance of "... if they are hungry, let them eat cake." We know how that worked out for those in charge.

Instead of identifying the problem, apparently the current leadership thought it would be best to just reinvent the wheel given Target's situation.

It's not an uncommon practice either given that such a change can dramatically improve company's future. However, the reality is that most of the companies that go through this are left worse off for the reasons I mention here. I've lived through both and it's really obvious once you've been through it what the outcome will be.

Moving the back room functions to the DC's, fulfilling Target.com orders from the store's inventory, and having team members manually operate the inventory system might work short term but it will not solve anything. It's just shifting the burden elsewhere.

The only thing it will achieve is to cut margins by raising the cost of goods sold. It will not fix the inventory issues, the lack of dedicated/multi functional DC capability/capacity, and internal process inefficiencies.

The only way to fix that would be to learn how the business currently works. Then and only then could you understand why it took two weeks to ship a Target.com order, or why you have merchandise coming into a backroom full of the same thing while the shelf sits empty when other stores' inventory are depleted. Even worse, why your staffing plan runs out of hours when sales are up and merchandise is moving. I still haven't figured that math out.

Another problem is that the meter is running for Mr. Valdez. He has only so much time to make something happen. He is currently fighting a non compete lawsuit against Amazon. Target is also listed as a defendant in this suit for obvious reasons. If he can't justify the cost of poaching, Cornell will make a move to cut him loose so as to save face and his own position. Then we'll try to start over again, or at least some of us might be able to.

and had everything done before even halfway through the day and hated just literally standing at the end of an aisle doing nothing for hours on end.

That's poor leadership on your stores part. In cosmetics end to end the cosmetics person shouldnt just be a push flow team member but someone also comfortable selling, interacting with guest and preventing shortage. If your person was standing there half her shift she should have never been put in that position

Moving the back room functions to the DC's, fulfilling Target.com orders from the store's inventory, and having team members manually operate the inventory system might work short term but it will not solve anything. It's just shifting the burden elsewhere. .

With no extra training to sales floor and backroom teams to hammer home the point of not cheating the system, which ETLs love to do, since it is always a race to get green!

We can't even get SFS TM's to pack orders correctly, we get so many returned where they throw shit in a box and of course it gets smashed in shipping. That BS does not help Spot compete. It does the opposite, pushes people away from Spot on line. Me, after three orders smashed cause they didn't pack it right - I'm done.

I wish it was like this in my store. I would really like to have my own area. Im pricing and POG trained already plus I push truck and merchandise as I go all day so I'm ready to go. This gives me hope.

That's poor leadership on your stores part. In cosmetics end to end the cosmetics person shouldnt just be a push flow team member but someone also comfortable selling, interacting with guest and preventing shortage. If your person was standing there half her shift she should have never been put in that position
I suppose, though there's only so many guests needing help within her six aisles of walking area at 1pm on a random Tuesday, thus the waiting at the end of aisles asking guests if they need help. But she's also ESL with a heavy accent, so it's sometimes difficult for her to communicate with guests clearly. Maybe that's another segment of our TMs that will be a casualty of this change.

It will be around as long as Mr. Arthur Valdez ("Executive VP, chief supply chain and logistics officer) and co remain. [snip]

Another problem is that the meter is running for Mr. Valdez. He has only so much time to make something happen. He is currently fighting a non compete lawsuit against Amazon. Target is also listed as a defendant in this suit for obvious reasons. If he can't justify the cost of poaching, Cornell will make a move to cut him loose so as to save face and his own position. Then we'll try to start over again, or at least some of us might be able to.
So thats the a$$hole that started this. He would be the worst person to pick! Why? Because he is antithetical to Target culture. Amazon has NO culture. A good illustration is using movies. Target is 'Pitch perfect's' Bellas. Amazon is Mad Max and his Main Patrol Force.

Doubt me?
Inside Amazon: Wrestling Big Ideas in a Bruising Workplace

I wish it was like this in my store. I would really like to have my own area. Im pricing and POG trained already plus I push truck and merchandise as I go all day so I'm ready to go. This gives me hope.
Be careful what you ask for. You could get Mini-seasonal.

With no extra training to sales floor and backroom teams to hammer home the point of not cheating the system, which ETLs love to do, since it is always a race to get green!

We can't even get SFS TM's to pack orders correctly, we get so many returned where they throw shit in a box and of course it gets smashed in shipping. That BS does not help Spot compete. It does the opposite, pushes people away from Spot on line. Me, after three orders smashed cause they didn't pack it right - I'm done.

Sorry, I kinda want to see a smashed poop emoji pinata in a box.

We're just not organized as a company to implement such a change in the business. We lack the infrastructure to set up such a program that we can all participate in and be successful at without it being a major headache. Then we add the lack of discipline of management to follow the program as so we can evaluate it properly. It has failure written all over it.

Rumor has it that we're going to process a minimum of 1000 orders per day for our store in the 4th Qtr. We're a LV store and struggled bad at the 800+ order rate for one (1) day. Everyday is going to run our operation ragged if they rinse and repeat this time. With how E2E is negatively effecting us so far, this going to be rough 4th Qtr.

Of course, ETL's just selectively remembered being able ship out the orders without any issues. :rolleyes::confused: They're in for a rude awakening this year with that type of volume.

We needed to start hiring in 2016 at the rate we back filling attrition in 2017. I have no idea where they're going to find the extra bodies to carry this out.

I really like the idea of E2E but I feel like our market team is lacking any kind of supervision. Instead of working on their task everyone is working on one vehicle, they all end up in the backroom hanging out. They aren't even handling all of their work load ie pricing, pog or in stocks. Just frustrating.

Once again 6 TMs to pull push research and backstock all of dry market and FDC truck with a GM truck everyday and FDC truck everyday

Ain't gonna get finished. No one has time for guest. I'm always saying here I come as I pass paper into the back room so guests stay clear of me

And we have two slow asses they move slower than my grandpa

So thats the a$$hole that started this. He would be the worst person to pick! Why? Because he is antithetical to Target culture. Amazon has NO culture. A good illustration is using movies. Target is 'Pitch perfect's' Bellas. Amazon is Mad Max and his Main Patrol Force.

Doubt me?
Inside Amazon: Wrestling Big Ideas in a Bruising Workplace

Actually it was Cornell and his people that went looking.

Mr. Valdez appears to be trying to turn Target's Logistics operation into a pick pack operation to support the stores and the .com orders quietly by disguising it as something else. Along with this, he's also trying to utilize/create excess capacity in the stores too - SFS. Wait until 4th Qtr. and we can't turn freight around fast enough to fill the shelves. Remember the size all of those holiday pulls? How are we going to compensate? Around the clock E2E?

You know the "eaches" shipped to the stores instead of case pack quantities. IMO he is trying to reset the DC's to be able to ship Target.com orders across the board while fulfilling the stores demand. I think this is due to how far we are behind everyone when it comes to capability/capacity to ship online orders. About as quick a short term fix as you can do considering where we stand.

From what I have read and researched, this is not the answer either due to it being two different types of operations.

Walmart just opened a 1.2 million sq feet fulfillment center with apparently more on the way (corrected). These are not store support, only online support. By the way, they open theirs up in pairs. We opened up one and expanded another recently. This increased our capacity to somewhere around 3 million plus (3.7) from what I have learned so far. This link (white papers - its a service and avoids negative comments) has a lot of good info: Target Distribution Center Network | MWPVL

Everything is set around case pack quantities. It is the manufacturer/suppliers way to maximize their profitability. Mess with it and your cost go up accordingly. Volume does not matter, it's all about efficiencies. Any purchasing agent/buyer worth their wt. in salt will tell you that. That's why you'll often see cases designed to be opened up for shelf staging in volume settings, efficient. If this is not possible, shelf space/peg qty should always be a multiple of the case pack when possible.

Nothing should be opened until it is as close to the end user as possible. Anything else is just an added cost.

We haven't seen anything yet. Wait until the unit cost skyrocket due to daily multi store shipments. LTL (less than truck load) has been and always will be higher than TL (truck load) shipments when it comes to unit cost per piece.

Let's look at a scenario of 3 LV stores taking three trucks a week. That comes to 12 trucks a month/store or 36/month total. Change that to a LTL truck every other day to the 3 LV stores and you now have gone from 36 to about 15 trucks a month at a minimum.

The reality would be most likely around seven (7) shipments per week based on seven (7) 643 pcs/shipment vs. three (3) 1500 pcs/truck shipment per store. We're looking at around 28trucks a month E2E versus 36 the current process requires. If you split a truck with two stores, it comes out to 6 trucks a week or about 24 a month (750 pcs/store per truck for a total of 4500 pcs/week). Not a bad plan or is it?

Just think of the additional hours required to pick/load and drive the LTL trucks to the stores seven days a week. Then we have the additional hours required to unload, push, zone, research/instocks, pog, and price (E2E) seven days a week. Remember, your going from a three day operation to a seven day operation across the logistics chain. This is why you ship TL vs LTL, it helps to maximize operations and reduce cost.

I think the rationale for E2E working at the store level was based on the current truck schedules not the new ones needed to meet the current demand.

The reality is that your going to have to staff the E2E process seven (7) days a week for a low volume store. Payroll anyone? What happens when we go into higher volume demand? Increase the number of LTL trucks or one or more TL trucks/store daily and start earlier? What about the reduction of the backroom merchandise? There is where the problem lies. Being able to turn around enough merchandise to meet demand. It's just not about getting it to the store, but keeping the floor stocked.

It will only be worse for higher volume stores. E2E will be a nightmare when you have multiple 53' palletized repack trucks daily.

As far as life at Amazon, I worked in a culture far more demanding than Amazon's. It was a game in our world to see who answered when. Failure to meet the customer's demand was measured in the 10K of dollars per minute. The difference is that we had and in this case Amazon has the infrastructure and support to be successful. It's the nature of the beast. ;)

Last edited:
I really like the idea of E2E but I feel like our market team is lacking any kind of supervision. Instead of working on their task everyone is working on one vehicle, they all end up in the backroom hanging out. They aren't even handling all of their work load ie pricing, pog or in stocks. Just frustrating.
Same at my LV store. All they do is push the trucks/pulls and set sales planners. They work slowly while continually talking to each other on the sales floor. The TL for Food has been with the company since the store opened. He's a really good guy but has never really pushed or challenged his TMs. I know because I was one of them when I stepped down and took a position on the Instocks Team.

Market used to do their own RIGS and Research but I started to do them again when my shift would be over and their RIGs were still in the Task List and our RIG completion score dropped.

Then when I again started doing RIGs in Market I noticed that they had been adjusting the capacities down so they wouldn't have to pull or push them. Research in Market only gets done when I have a chance to get over there every couple of weeks.

At least twice a week the Smart Huddle is held in Market so all the speciality teams and all Leaders can push 3 to 5 vehicles of product and/or zone.

Even with all of the above, store management is always giving them recognition at huddles for doing a great job.

Same at my LV store. All they do is push the trucks/pulls and set sales planners. They work slowly while continually talking to each other on the sales floor. The TL for Food has been with the company since the store opened. He's a really good guy but has never really pushed or challenged his TMs. I know because I was one of them when I stepped down and took a position on the Instocks Team.

Market used to do their own RIGS and Research but I started to do them again when my shift would be over and their RIGs were still in the Task List and our RIG completion score dropped.

Then when I again started doing RIGs in Market I noticed that they had been adjusting the capacities down so they wouldn't have to pull or push them. Research in Market only gets done when I have a chance to get over there every couple of weeks.

At least twice a week the Smart Huddle is held in Market so all the speciality teams and all Leaders can push 3 to 5 vehicles of product and/or zone.

Even with all of the above, store management is always giving them recognition at huddles for doing a great job.

This exactly what I mean when I say we lack the internal discipline. If it wasn't for you taking the initiative, when would this actually get done?

Spot is running out of Team Members like you that will do this.

Cause they cheated the system and are green. If you keep the caps low, then you get less, push less and work less. Which fucks everyone over.

Don't get me started on their Rigs, I leave at 2pm their part of the list hasn't been touched. I get hassled cause ETL sees that and questions me. " Sorry it's market Rigs." Can you just knick them out? Nope, I have to punch out. Repeat daily.

Actually it was Cornell and his people that went looking.

Mr. Valdez appears to be trying to turn Target's Logistics operation into a pick pack operation to support the stores and the .com orders quietly by disguising it as something else. Along with this, he's also trying to utilize/create excess capacity in the stores too - SFS. Wait until 4th Qtr. and we can't turn freight around fast enough to fill the shelves. Remember the size all of those holiday pulls? How are we going to compensate? Around the clock E2E?

You know the "eaches" shipped to the stores instead of case pack quantities. IMO he is trying to reset the DC's to be able to ship Target.com orders across the board while fulfilling the stores demand. I think this is due to how far we are behind everyone when it comes to capability/capacity to ship online orders. About as quick a short term fix as you can do considering where we stand.

From what I have read and researched, this is not the answer either due to it being two different types of operations.

Walmart just opened up two 2.5 million sq feet fulfillment centers. These are not store support, only online support. By the way, they open theirs up in pairs. We opened up one and expanded another recently. This increased our capacity to somewhere around 3 million plus from what I have learned so far. This link (white papers - its a service and avoids negative comments) has a lot of good info: Target Distribution Center Network | MWPVL

Everything is set around case pack quantities. It is the manufacturer/suppliers way to maximize their profitability. Mess with it and your cost go up accordingly. Volume does not matter, it's all about efficiencies. Any purchasing agent/buyer worth their wt. in salt will tell you that. That's why you'll often see cases designed to be opened up for shelf staging in volume settings, efficient. If this is not possible, shelf space/peg qty should always be a multiple of the case pack when possible.

Nothing should be opened until it is as close to the end user as possible. Anything else is just an added cost.

We haven't seen anything yet. Wait until the unit cost skyrocket due to daily multi store shipments. LTL (less than truck load) has been and always will be higher than TL (truck load) shipments when it comes to unit cost per piece.

Let's look at a scenario of 3 LV stores taking three trucks a week. That comes to 12 trucks a month/store or 36/month total. Change that to a LTL truck every other day to the 3 LV stores and you now have gone from 36 to about 15 trucks a month at a minimum.

The reality would be most likely around seven (7) shipments per week based on seven (7) 643 pcs/shipment vs. three (3) 1500 pcs/truck shipment per store. We're looking at around 28trucks a month E2E versus 36 the current process requires. If you split a truck with two stores, it comes out to 6 trucks a week or about 24 a month (750 pcs/store per truck for a total of 4500 pcs/week). Not a bad plan or is it?

Just think of the additional hours required to pick/load and drive the LTL trucks to the stores seven days a week. Then we have the additional hours required to unload, push, zone, research/instocks, pog, and price (E2E) seven days a week. Remember, your going from a three day operation to a seven day operation across the logistics chain. This is why you ship TL vs LTL, it helps to maximize operations and reduce cost.

I think the rationale for E2E working at the store level was based on the current truck schedules not the new ones needed to meet the current demand.

The reality is that your going to have to staff the E2E process seven (7) days a week for a low volume store. Payroll anyone? What happens when we go into higher volume demand? Increase the number of LTL trucks or one or more TL trucks/store daily and start earlier? What about the reduction of the backroom merchandise? There is where the problem lies. Being able to turn around enough merchandise to meet demand. It's just not about getting it to the store, but keeping the floor stocked.

It will only be worse for higher volume stores. E2E will be a nightmare when you have multiple 53' palletized repack trucks daily.

As far as life at Amazon, I worked in a culture far more demanding than Amazon's. It was a game in our world to see who answered when. Failure to meet the customer's demand was measured in the 10K of dollars per minute. The difference is that we had and in this case Amazon has the infrastructure and support to be successful. It's the nature of the beast. ;)

I think mathematically you are looking at a few aspects wrong (although some of the concerns are valid).

First, I just want to touch on your analysis of the eaches model and its supposed added cost. The current problem in the retail market is the adaptation of our supply chain models between brick and mortar delivery and online users. Where brick and mortar establishments have been receiving their product by the case (the easiest and most obvious method), online users will require their delivery to be an individual delivery of single items. If you look at Walmart, they took the less efficient but easier answer, to build dedicated DCs for online orders. This is a DC that once it receives its shipments, has to break down its cases to allow for shipment to online orders. The products in its main supply chain to stores cannot fulfill the orders because their items are stuck in cases until their end of cycle. If there is a SFS option, the product must arrive and complete its cycle before it can then ship from the store.

This system Target is implementing may be a bit more costly, but is far more agile. By adapting the supply chain of its entire operation to this new environment they are accomplishing a few things. First, they are not locking up merchandise at any point in the cycle. All of its product stays in the main supply chain and does not get stuck at any dedicated DC. Because of this, an online order can get placed and almost instantly can be fulfilled even if the product is currently in the main chain going to stores. Because we are converting the items to eaches (over cases) sooner in the chain, it allows us to pull off individuals for online orders far earlier than anyone else. Second, it removes your concern of capacities matching case quantities without fighting our vendors.

Second, I wanted to talk about the delivery frequency and cost. There are many points of discussion here, but I would start with the idea that 7 deliveries = more cost. While I would have agreed that this is true at first glance, remember that logistically it does not end at delivery. 7 smaller deliveries that go to the shelf are of similar cost to 3 shipments too large to fit on the shelf, and have to be stored (taking up space = money) at our stores until there is room for them. ULV stores also already staff the same essentially on either model. Where you would schedule a 100% crew 3 days a week, you could do a 40% crew 7 days a week (but during the day when the store is operating). You also would save tons of payroll on the unload (I would guess most stores would average 10-15 hours per trailer) since you can go down to 2-3 TMs for 20 minutes on eaches. Finally, the delivery frequency may increase but the FDC is already of similar model. You average 2-4 stores per trailer depending on size and routes. The point is that the flexibility added to our supply chain would likely save us in cost.

I guess the major point would be, is it ok to spend a bit more in gas (by having the same amount of trailers we currently have stop by some stores on its way to and from the DC) to get....
1) Flexibility to fulfill online orders at any point in our supply chain
2) Prevent us from locking up merchandise (dedicating it to stores vs online orders)
3) Reduce the amount of payroll on the unload
4) Remove the need for stockroom space in many stores (allowing for the use for something more cost effective or revenue driving)
5) Allow for flexibility in delivery schedules and routes (use of other couriers, staffing stores at times that make more sense)
6) Bring payroll more to operating hours of stores instead of a majority of payroll being spent when the building is closed.

Back