Archived Escaping soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've worked at Target for 7 years, but recently they've cut my hours to 8 or less a week and I can't pick up enough shifts to make ends meet. So I found a second job. It pays more, the hours are consistent and guaranteed, and they treat their employees like people. I wasn't planning to leave, just cut my hours down but my availability change was denied, twice. So, I'm leaving. But I'm not sure how to go about it. Do I just ask my etl-hr for the form? Because they keep denying my request I need to quit ASAP.
Do I wait for next pay day or can I request my last check when I quit? I've never had to quit a job before, all my other jobs were temp positions.
Thanks!

I would simply talk to hr explain to them the situation and tell them that you are going to have to quit. They will tell you what you need to do next. They may offer you more hours but who is to say it will be consistent etc. If you have a chance to move on and be treated fairly etc I say go for it . Congratulations....and sorry spot is treating you so poorly.

Honestly, even if they were to offer me 30hrs a week again I wouldn't stay. I've been there 7 years and with this newest round of management I get treated like dirt. I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot incase further down the line I need a part time job or something. (I'm almost done with school, but then there is loans to pay off).
Right now the only thing I'll miss about that place is the discount.

I would just explain to them and give them as much notice as you can....if you can give them two weeks notice that is what I would do. That way you could come back if you wanted to. I don't blame you for leaving no one should put up with being treated like dirt.

You can quit anytime and they will tell you when your last day is. It'll be two weeks OR the end of the current schedule (if they're able to take you off the schedule they're writing in time); which ever one comes sooner. If you're unable to work your shifts or get them filled, you'll be marked as ineligible for rehire. Otherwise, it's all pretty clean-cut and no biggie.

Ask hr for the voluntary term form. You never know when you might have to come back to spot.

Last edited:
My main concern is as the schedule stands I can't work out my last week. I'm willing to work Saturday as I promised someone I'd work for her so she can host her grand kid's birthday party, but the Tuesday and Saturday of the following week (or I guess week now, since it's Sunday) are impossible. I had assumed they would honor my request and am already working at my new job.
Thank you everyone for your help!

Try to get the shifts filled, if no one takes them, make sure to call out. You can't get fired for calling out several times in a week, but you can for not showing up. And yes, you can get fired for 3 NCNS even though you put your 2 weeks in.

Yeah, I tried to change my availability also and it was denied, yet I usually get less than 20 hrs per week. Spot wants YOU to be available all the time but God forbid you should try and have a life/2nd job outside of Spot...
Congrats on getting out and moving on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back