Archived Extremely annoying leaders bugging us with providing F-IGN Guest Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my store here in Arizona has become really very strick about guest service, like really bad. You see they want use to literally assault our guests on how doing a lot of stupid questions, and letting them know about what's on sale on the ad and cartwheel.

They're watching us. A lot of times they've been hiding to spy on us just to make sure we're actually doing guest service, and if we miss any guest they come to you or pull you into the office to give you a coaching! A lot of TM have already been coached!

This is ridiculous! We basically have to awknowledge every single person, even kids, people talking on the phone or listing to music on their headphones! A lot of guests actually get mad at us for bothering them.

I've been already talked to, and even pulled into the office two times because of the reason with one actual coaching. One time I was doing it, and even so was pull aside because apparently asking "if they're finding everything ok?" is not enough.

And all of this because of some visit my store had some days ago, and apparently didn't do well. Our STL is really mad apparently I was told and because of this, this all enforcing and happening ??

Has any other store gone this ridiculously strict when it comes to Guest Service?

Last edited:
There are a number of threads on this subject.
It is the new direction that Spot is going.
Next they are going to be expecting you to sell them something to you better get ready for that.

Yeah it's a new direction, for some workers, that's no problem, I already say hi to everyone I see, or at least acknowledge and smile, but for some it's really difficult.

it's a bit obnoxious to be coached for not asking above and beyond "Hi! Are you finding everything alright or can I help you find anything?" because most of the time, a lot of people are there to shop, not talk.

Sounds like your store is underperforming hence the visit and the visitors didn't like what they saw. You really should know what is on sale and on cartwheel in beauty. Upselling is apart of the beauty team members job description. I suggest maybe finding a new job if this is something your not into.

a lot of people are there to shop, not talk.
Exactly. The mom with two fussy toddlers in tow, doing the weekly Target run, does not want to engage in conversation, even if she is in the Cover Girl aisle. She wants to get her mascara and move on. Give me a break. Target should give us some credit for being able to read body language.

I’m the type of person that doesn’t want to be bothered when I’m shopping. If I need something, I’ll find someone to ask. A lot of people feel the same way.

So it’s hard to force people with that mindset to guest service literally everyone they see. Especially if you can read their body language and tell they obviously don’t want any help.

I get it, it’s all for driving sales. But it also turns away people in the future that just want to be left alone.

Sounds like your store is underperforming hence the visit and the visitors didn't like what they saw. You really should know what is on sale and on cartwheel in beauty. Upselling is apart of the beauty team members job description. I suggest maybe finding a new job if this is something your not into.

I have to agree with Nokiddiegloves. Beauty is the area in which you should be able to upsell, and Beauty TMs make more than base pay for that exact reason. We're trying to compete with Ulta and Sephora by offering better guest service than Walgreens or CVS at everyday low prices. Beauty is definitely not the place to be if you aren't bubbly and willing to greet and service every guest.

I read the initial post 2x. Do we know for sure they work in beauty?

Oh yes, guest service is our top priority and they are watching and we will get talked to...not sure if coachings are happening. I'm of the belief that saying Hi and/or asking if a guest needs any help isn't intrusive, trying to have a conversation after a guest clearly indicates they are ok is. Reading the room is a skill that helps a lot in this job. ;) I hope the coachings and conversations are helpful and about interacting and not about metrics and "doing better".

So my store here in Arizona has become really very strick about guest service, like really bad. You see they want use to literally assault our guests on how doing a lot of stupid questions, and letting them know about what's on sale on the ad and cartwheel.

They're watching us. A lot of times they've been hiding to spy on us just to make sure we're actually doing guest service, and if we miss any guest they come to you or pull you into the office to give you a coaching! A lot of TM have already been coached!

This is ridiculous! We basically have to awknowledge every single person, even kids, people talking on the phone or listing to music on their headphones! A lot of guests actually get mad at us for bothering them.

I've been already talked to, and even pulled into the office two times because of the reason with one actual coaching. One time I was doing it, and even so was pull aside because apparently asking "if they're finding everything ok?" is not enough.

And all of this because of some visit my store had some days ago, and apparently didn't do well. Our STL is really mad apparently I was told and because of this, this all enforcing and happening ??

Has any other store gone this ridiculously strict when it comes to Guest Service?

Legit might be at the same store :rolleyes:

I just work there, I don’t drink the Kool-Aid.

Target can’t expect me to acknowledge every guest. I’ll never get any work done.

I just work there, I don’t drink the Kool-Aid.

Target can’t expect me to acknowledge every guest. I’ll never get any work done.

From what I have seen getting anything done isn't a priority anymore. "Fuck it!" seems to be the way to operate now. Who cares if product is actually on the floor, or if clearance is marked down or that POG is set but completely empty cause there isn't anyone to pull and push the batches.. No one cares! "Sell Sell Sell!!!!"

One slight problem I see. If no one is stocking the shelves, what can people sell?

The newest idea that the leaders have come up with at my store is that the FR attendant has to ask each guest walking into the FR if anyone was helping them, and if they mention a name, that person gets a tally mark next to their name "like in Victoria's Secret." So stupid and pointless.

The newest idea that the leaders have come up with at my store is that the FR attendant has to ask each guest walking into the FR if anyone was helping them, and if they mention a name, that person gets a tally mark next to their name "like in Victoria's Secret." So stupid and pointless.
Wow. I'm lucky if I remember my scheduled break and I almost never remember who's working with me when I need someone to take the phone for the break I'm likely a half hour late for. Tally sheet? It'll end up half filled with chunks torn out when I need to write down a dpci for a guest so they can order online later.

This is why I'm glad I work in the back and not on the floor. I'm not trying to acknowledge every guest

I am guessing that your DTL came in, dressed as a guest, and didn't get asked "CIHYFS"

Honestly, my most engaging conversations with Guests, turn out to be the ones, where we both end up ragging on Target. To be fair, they always instigate, but they leave with a smile and laughing, which is more than we all can say when we leave Walmart.

I am guessing that your DTL came in, dressed as a guest, and didn't get asked "CIHYFS"
For our store its more extreme. Between undercover shoppers and our dtl playing secret shopper games we have to literally sell 3 things to each guest or we get talked to. Oh and hell hath no fury if you dont drop your name and get their name in return -_-

For our store its more extreme. Between undercover shoppers and our dtl playing secret shopper games we have to literally sell 3 things to each guest or we get talked to. Oh and hell hath no fury if you dont drop your name and get their name in return -_-

I am guessing your STL, is about to get fired. So don't sweat it.

Oh Im not I am playing their games to a point. Honestly it wouldnt suprise me quite frankly we are all convinced our store is wherr etls careers come to die.

Then that is all you have to do, until nature runs its course, or you call the hotline on a Leadership team, which already sounds like it is in the doghouse.

Or better yet, get a job somewhere else. If you think it is bad now, wait for BTS/BTC, especially with this new rollout, with no DC backing.

From what I have seen getting anything done isn't a priority anymore. "Fuck it!" seems to be the way to operate now. Who cares if product is actually on the floor, or if clearance is marked down or that POG is set but completely empty cause there isn't anyone to pull and push the batches.. No one cares! "Sell Sell Sell!!!!"

One slight problem I see. If no one is stocking the shelves, what can people sell?

Dysfunction seems to breed complacency and misery, at least in my store.

Perhaps those are all products of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back