Archived Feeling Brain Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is a matter of how you deal with a job and how much your job comes into your life, but does anyone feel that day by day they are getting dumber working at Target?

I've had to change who I am so much because of the adversarial relationship between seem to have with each other at my store. Being nice, being wise, being anything just goes against whatever is happening. I think my brain is turning into ooze.

I agree... felt the same way when I worked there. I was surrounded by stupidity (mostly ELT's) and it started to wear off on me...

Target being my first job, I have actually learned quite a bit. I've even changed as a person looking back, gaining a ton of responsibility. However, it has peaked and I dunno, every day you learn something new but if that something is Target related I'm not sure how much weight that holds in real life xd

I like to do zen meditation at work. I notice how messed up the situations are and then just tell myself "everything is as it should be" and just let it be.

Sure, do mental exercises where you decide what the correct approaches to situations would be. Figure out what you would do as an Etl and you weren't mentally retarded/incompetant.

We also like to joke about what would happen if other companies tried doing things like target. We come up with funny scenarios like "What if my ETL-LOG was in charge of leading a team of 20 construction workers. Imagine their reactions to the ETL's ahem cough cough "leadership." What would that look like in say the oil fields if say they treated the 10 to 15 year veterans like dirt and brought the most inexperienced unknowledgable person off the streets to run an oil rig and crew of roughnecks. Lol everybody on the jobsite would be in serious grave danger.

During Christmas, I often feel like I don't have a soul.

I have to agree...lately, I just feel like I walk into work and go through the motions. Sometimes I realize I have people in the fitting room and have completely forgotten they're in there because I've zoned out so badly. :(

Christmas had really gotten to me.
In yrs past, I always countered the selfish whining brats & rude shoppers with the folks who were purchasing for Angel Trees (Salvation Army) or other charitable groups.
Then they moved Black Friday's opening time to midnight & the fracas took on a new dimension.
After Q4 I moved out of the front end & over to FA. It was new & scary but a needed change.
Evidently they like how fast I learned - now they want me to cross-train in Startbux.
I'm not scared any more - I'm terrified :O

Knew a girl who was switched over to Starbucks. She seems to like it better than zoning.

I've seen the type of "espresso emos" they serve over there.
Just not sure I could deal with it (or hold my tongue). Guess I'm gonna find out, tho.

Working guest service has brought me awareness to the issue of complete and total idiocy if that is if any help. :)

After dealing with a lot of crap, none of it guest related, I thought about stepping down as GSA. Then realized that is probably just what they wanted. So, now I go in every day with a smile because I know I'm earning a paycheck AND ruining someone's day. Horrible attitude, I know, but you gotta work with what you have.

It helps to detox yourself from the Target kool-aid.

My first 5 years, I was all smiles and worked my butt off, and asked my ETLs what else can I learn. And wanted to go from store to Corp. And that the only worthless people were either stupid/rude guests or TMs who didn't try. I grew a tougher skin and took on new opportunities when I could.

Then when I transferred to my last store, I saw the true colors of Target's current model of store management. I was basically told nothing I did mattered and why should I try to improve and better myself. You have to be a brown-noser to move up in the company.

It helps to detox yourself from the Target kool-aid.

My first 5 years, I was all smiles and worked my butt off, and asked my ETLs what else can I learn. And wanted to go from store to Corp. And that the only worthless people were either stupid/rude guests or TMs who didn't try. I grew a tougher skin and took on new opportunities when I could.

Then when I transferred to my last store, I saw the true colors of Target's current model of store management. I was basically told nothing I did mattered and why should I try to improve and better myself. You have to be a brown-noser to move up in the company.

THIS! It didn't take me quite 5 years to figure it out, but this is so true. Ive seen so many pretty darn good team leads get fired or very happily quit over the years that getting somewhere in Target doesn't have much appeal anyways.

Once I finally discovered that no matter how hard you work or try to do things, even 100% isn't enough for Target.....survey scores might be green, but you are 45/79....and they want better scores. Don't they get it that even if all stores got perfect green, someone still be 79/79!

Or how about Red Cards? We've been making our goal and exceeding it some weeks, but they're still telling us that we need to work better to get more Red cards!

My GE just had the brilliant idea to pit us GSAs against each other for a month as a red card game. From what I understand, the winner gets a gift basket, the loser has to come up with red card games for six months.

Once I finally discovered that no matter how hard you work or try to do things, even 100% isn't enough for Target.....survey scores might be green, but you are 45/79....and they want better scores. Don't they get it that even if all stores got perfect green, someone still be 79/79!

Or how about Red Cards? We've been making our goal and exceeding it some weeks, but they're still telling us that we need to work better to get more Red cards!

That is their ace in the hole. They always have a reason to fire you if you never do anything right.

My GE just had the brilliant idea to pit us GSAs against each other for a month as a red card game. From what I understand, the winner gets a gift basket, the loser has to come up with red card games for six months.

ABC, A-always, B-be, C-closing

Alec Baldwin says hi

lol. well you just tell him his glen garry glen ross fame is over and he needs to start entertaining the masses with his explicit phone call messages to his daughter. i came up with abc when he was still wearing diapers. j/k but i like to pretend i did. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back