Archived Finished orientation today, 2 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished orientation today and after bombarding the HR-ETL with questions, I have a few more before I start training on Saturday.

1.) Unpaid lunches are 30 min if you work at least 6 hours. The ETL told us to take it at the start of the 5th hour. On top of the unpaid lunches, do you also get the 15 min paid breaks? So if I work from 8:30-4:30, I'll take the 30 min unpaid @ 1:30 and 2 paid 15 min breaks sometime after?

2.) Where exactly do I go when I start? My ETL told me to talk to my LOD after I punch in but I got thrown tons of stuff at me in 3 hours so I'm not even sure where to find the LOD.

I guess that's it for now, though I'll probably have more after I start training on the sales floor.

Thanks!

At our store, an 8 hr shift would have you take a 15 (on the clock) after 2 hrs work; a 30 (off the clock) after 4 hrs & another 15 (on the clock) after 6 hrs.
Times are subjective depending on traffic, calls to back-up cashier, if other TMs are still on break/lunch.

I would just ask another team member , where to find the etl once you clock in. From there, they should pair you up with a trainer. Good luck on your first day .

After you clock in, get a walkie and say "Lod this prosidius, where should I start today" ...or something like that.

what department are you? Every store is different, but in the store I am in, you would have gotten a 2 week hand written schedule that would tell you who you were training with. Usually your breaks copy their breaks.
At the store I am in, your initial training is cashiering, then computer training, then department training. All shadowing another person (except the computer time.)
At my store you might not be able to punch in for a few days and Team Service Center (tsc) would have to get you into the time clock and also make sure all your paperwork is up to date. They would also be the ones telling you who you would be shadowing.
As far as breaks. The first 15 min. on the clock break is usually about 2 hours into your shift. Your unpaid meal (punch out at time clock or if not in it, let tsc know you are going on your half.) If your state says it's 6 hours then you would probably be aiming for about 5 hours into your shift. Then your second break would be about 2 hours (plus or minus) when you get back from your meal. So if you start at 8:30 first break would be about 11:30, meal would be about 1:30 but do not let it go to 2:30 or you will hit compliance - that is a bad thing. Your second 15 min. on the clock break would be about 3:30ish. Don't quote me on those times.

Never leave the floor without someone knowing you are going. Either by announcing it to the LOD (Leader on Duty) you are taking your break, or asking someone in your department what proper procedure would be.
If you are cashiering, the GSTL (guest service team leader) or GSA (Guest Service Attendant) would let you know when you will be taking all your breaks, you don't just walk away from the registers.

Well good luck and welcome to the holidays.....

what department are you? Every store is different, but in the store I am in, you would have gotten a 2 week hand written schedule that would tell you who you were training with. Usually your breaks copy their breaks.
At the store I am in, your initial training is cashiering, then computer training, then department training. All shadowing another person (except the computer time.)
At my store you might not be able to punch in for a few days and Team Service Center (tsc) would have to get you into the time clock and also make sure all your paperwork is up to date. They would also be the ones telling you who you would be shadowing.
As far as breaks. The first 15 min. on the clock break is usually about 2 hours into your shift. Your unpaid meal (punch out at time clock or if not in it, let tsc know you are going on your half.) If your state says it's 6 hours then you would probably be aiming for about 5 hours into your shift. Then your second break would be about 2 hours (plus or minus) when you get back from your meal. So if you start at 8:30 first break would be about 11:30, meal would be about 1:30 but do not let it go to 2:30 or you will hit compliance - that is a bad thing. Your second 15 min. on the clock break would be about 3:30ish. Don't quote me on those times.

Never leave the floor without someone knowing you are going. Either by announcing it to the LOD (Leader on Duty) you are taking your break, or asking someone in your department what proper procedure would be.
If you are cashiering, the GSTL (guest service team leader) or GSA (Guest Service Attendant) would let you know when you will be taking all your breaks, you don't just walk away from the registers.

Well good luck and welcome to the holidays.....

Sales Floor (They are training me in Hardlines, Softlines, and Cashiering). I got the paper schedule and start training in HL first.

Thanks! I hope I won't mess anything up. :)

1.) Unpaid lunches are 30 min if you work at least 6 hours. The ETL told us to take it at the start of the 5th hour. On top of the unpaid lunches, do you also get the 15 min paid breaks? So if I work from 8:30-4:30, I'll take the 30 min unpaid @ 1:30 and 2 paid 15 min breaks sometime after?
Yes, you do get paid 15 minute breaks in addition to your unpaid 30. At the registers, the GSA/GSTL has the break schedule and will tell you when to take your break, on the sales floor (at my store at least) you want to take your breaks as close to the middle of your shift as possible, but each store has different policies. Ask another sales floor TM at your store how your store handles breaks, but always make sure someone knows you are going on break.

2.) Where exactly do I go when I start? My ETL told me to talk to my LOD after I punch in but I got thrown tons of stuff at me in 3 hours so I'm not even sure where to find the LOD.
As others have said, yes, you do ask the LOD or your ETL/TL where you're needed unless they told you ahead of time. If they're not around when you clock in you can reach them on the walkies. Say something like "LOD this is prosidius coming on the floor, where do you want me?"

If you didn't clock in with your team member number at orientation, you should fill out a punch correction form to make sure you get paid for orientation. When I had orientation they included the punch correction form in the stack of papers because our numbers hadn't dropped into the system yet. Ask your HR for a punch correction form if you need it.

Welcome to the team!

We didn't have a ETL-HR when I was hired, it was the HRTM as such, not sure who does them now that we have a ETL-HR.

Alright I shall answer everything for you as I recently just went through this.

When you walk in to actually clock in at our store there is a desk right there. The person sitting behind it is the person to talk to if you have any issues. Just go my name is XXX and it is my first day. My trainers name is XXX. Do you know where I can find him? The person at the desk will then walkie them and tell you where to go. Pretty simple.

Breaks are not a huge issue at all. Ask your trainer and they will tell you exactly how it works. You could ask here but exact timings and such will depend what store you are at. To top that off at my store you never work more then a 5 1/2 hour shift so you will never have the issue unless you pull a double.

Sales Floor (They are training me in Hardlines, Softlines, and Cashiering). I got the paper schedule and start training in HL first.
If you are just starting check with the LOD, just call over the walkie that you are present and request your assignment for the shift. Usually they will want you to get your cashier training out of the way first so you can come up for backups. When put on the salesfloor, you will usually be partnered with a TM by your TL to cover an area, or they will go into detail by reshop and zoning.

Thank you all. :) I (mostly) survived my first day of training. Had a bit of trouble re shopping (still trying to figure out the item locator code) and it sucked when a guest asked me to help find something, I had to turn to my trainer since I don't know the store yet.

WHen the Eagles wrote Hotel California- they were referring to Walmart- ! Only kidding

Had a bit of trouble re shopping (still trying to figure out the item locator code)

The item locator codes are easy when you get the hang of it (For hardlines, at least). The thing to remember is they are relative to the main aisle that goes all around the store (in my store, it surrounds softlines separating hardlines/softlines.) The locator codes are formatted like this: Aisle (POG) # of shelves from main aisle-# of shelves from the ground-# of items from the next shelf closest to the main aisle. An example: F27(1) 2-1-4 would be aisle F27, the second 4-foot shelf from the main aisle, bottom shelf, fourth item from the end closest to the main aisle. Like everything it takes practice, if you need help just ask another TM!

The item locator codes are easy when you get the hang of it (For hardlines, at least). The thing to remember is they are relative to the main aisle that goes all around the store (in my store, it surrounds softlines separating hardlines/softlines.) The locator codes are formatted like this: Aisle (POG) # of shelves from main aisle-# of shelves from the ground-# of items from the next shelf closest to the main aisle. An example: F27(1) 2-1-4 would be aisle F27, the second 4-foot shelf from the main aisle, bottom shelf, fourth item from the end closest to the main aisle. Like everything it takes practice, if you need help just ask another TM!
Maybe it is called something different depending on store. Buggy, cart, wagon. For us the Pog number is something different and actually refers to planogram tied to each aisle, A120rqk for an example. Also possible I'm just misinterpreting your use of pog.

Maybe it is called something different depending on store. Buggy, cart, wagon. For us the Pog number is something different and actually refers to planogram tied to each aisle, A120rqk for an example. Also possible I'm just misinterpreting your use of pog.

NitroKing2110 was referring to the 4-ft section of the aisle in which the POG starts. Example: For an item located at A23(6)2-2-1, you would go to the 6th 4-ft section because that's where the planogram begins, so that's where you start counting.

On the pick label, there can be a few "indicators" that dictate what to do with the product. On the label, it will be near the "Ad 08/21" in the example. If there is a "P", it means it needs to be pushed out. If there is an "S", it means stage. "B" means it's backstock...and part of the backrooms metrics is making sure that all product that has a "B" indicator gets backstocked. Otherwise your team is being inefficient and taking stuff out to the floor when they don't have to. If your store is a "Push All" store, this is how you tell the difference between what you need to take to the floor and what stays in the back without scanning everything on the line.

With the change to myPerformance though, it could be that this isn't a key metric anymore. I haven't dived into the backroom metrics with myPerformance.

Typically your NOP product will have some kind of info on the pick label that will give you a bit of insight on what's going on with it. If it's on AD, it could be there will be staged off area on the floor...or it could be that the planogram isn't in the system yet, so there will be a T indicator(Transition) with the date letting you know when it will be set. But if it's NOP or D-Code at this point, been in your store for awhile, and it looks like there will be no space or planogram for it in the foreseeable future...mySupport it, and request a CLR markdown on it.

318718_orig.png

NitroKing2110 was referring to the 4-ft section of the aisle in which the POG starts. Example: For an item located at A23(6)2-2-1, you would go to the 6th 4-ft section because that's where the planogram begins, so that's where you start counting.

Except for cosmetics. That is a whole different thing.

And for @Hardlinesmaster's post, there is also section 98. Used in PFresh and Checklanes.

(P.S. Thank you for posting that!)

And for @Hardlinesmaster's post, there is also section 98. Used in PFresh and Checklanes.

(P.S. Thank you for posting that!)

True. I was thinking of the areas with "standard" aisles. :D

And entertainment. Some POGs, usually the alphabetized ones, are set standard in reverse aisles. TMs can get pretty creative about what section these start in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back