Archived First Shift Last Night, A Few Questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NMpdx13

Hi everyone! I finished up with my trainer last night, and was put on a register all by myself (OMG, scary!). I didn't get yelled at, so I must've done alright! I do have a few silly little questions that I'm sure one of you might know the answer to:

1) When you create your speed ID, do you need to enter the end of your shift time in 24 hour time format? Like if I get off at 10:00pm, would I type 22:00 or 10:00 ?

2) I rang up a guest's order and then told them the total. They gave me a gift card to run through with a partial balance, paying with a credit card for the rest. After I scanned the gift card as payment, the husband asked me if the lamp had 20% taken off. But, I had already hit Total and scanned the gift card as payment, so I wasn't sure how to go back and look at the item list. I called over the GSTL and asked him for help, but he went so quick that I had no idea what he did. My guess is that you can hit the "Back" button? Or, how do you get from the Payment screen back into the item list screen? Also, how would you void the Gift Card payment, so that you can scan and use the Gift Card again? I think there might have been a Void Payment button, or something to that effect, right?

Thanks for the help! This site has been a great resource for me already! :)

1.) Nope, just type in when your shift ends in normal time.
2.) You hit the back button, then it's gonna prompt you with like "See payements, Void All Payments etc". Just click Void All Payments and you can go back through. Then, when you're done you can hit Total again and and scan the gift card again.

Make sure you haven't thrown the gift card away before you go back and void payments because you'll need to scan it again once the guest is satisfied and the sale is final.

Make sure you haven't thrown the gift card away before you go back and void payments because you'll need to scan it again once the guest is satisfied and the sale is final.

Yeah, I found that out last night after my GSTL voided the payments. :) Luckily, it was just sitting on top of the trash can.

...Why did they teach you to make a speed ID? o_O

My trainer said it was just an easier way to log back in to the register. She told us to make sure and sign off every single time we step away from the register (to go get guests, to clean up your lane, etc.).

My trainer said it was just an easier way to log back in to the register. She told us to make sure and sign off every single time we step away from the register (to go get guests, to clean up your lane, etc.).
also make sure to take that id with you because anyone can log in using it

Many of our cashiers print a speed ID. If they aren't at the register, they are doing something up front and if a guest walks up, they just scan that slip and start right away.

Well, if it's not for guest service I'm officially just baffled. In over nine months working as a cashier I never printed anything than the operator barcode for self checkout.

Really? It's standard practice for cashiers to print a speed ID at my store. Now when sales floor people come to back up and print one? That's dumb.

I wasn't even taught how and didn't even know it was a thing until I got trained in Electronics, funnily enough. Though since those registers sign you out automatically after every transaction and there's a huge area to cover, I can see the benefit there. ASANTS, I suppose.

Weird, the first thing I was told was how to make a Speed ID on my first day of training. Everyone prints out a speed ID for Food Cafe, Starbucks, Guest Services, Cashiering etc. Anything that has to do with a POS in our store.

Yep, our folks do a speed slip because our register kicks you off after every transaction & it's hella faster to scan a speed slip while marking a cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back