Archived First time Cashier, any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hai Guys! I just got hired as a seasonal cashier and I'll have my orientation in a few days I believe. As this is my first job and I'm a bit nervous, any advice?

Also what if I suck as a cashier? I pretty sure I didn't apply for it but my first interviewer put me down for it. I don't think I'lll do well cuz I have a bit of Social Anxiety. If I don't do well at it would they be willing to move me to another area or....?

I've found cashiering not so bad with my social anxiety as I thought it would be. I've found most people just want you to ring up their items and get the heck out of the store. They usually aren't interested in striking up a conversation. Older folx will sometimes, but it's not been nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Scan, bag, total, hand receipt/change...and tell them to have a good day....usually about sums it up. Your mileage may vary tho....

Welcome to The Break Room.

Wear good shoes.
Thank you, I will cx

I've found cashiering not so bad with my social anxiety as I thought it would be. I've found most people just want you to ring up their items and get the heck out of the store. They usually aren't interested in striking up a conversation. Older folx will sometimes, but it's not been nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Scan, bag, total, hand receipt/change...and tell them to have a good day....usually about sums it up. Your mileage may vary tho....
That doesnt sound to bad actually. I think I could handle it, specially after the first week or so.

I must clarify that my sample size is pretty small. I'm a Hardlines TM, and only cashier as backup. This is usually once or twice a shift, for maybe 10-15 minutes at a time. So I've not actually done it a whole lot, but even so, I find myself actually volunteering to go up to the front for backup.

I hear ya. I also have social anxiety and thats why i applied for Softlines (fold clothes, avoid people). I usually avoided the calls for backup cashier (my store is not a super target so when its busy they usually call softlines for backup cashiers). However I got scheduled for cashier shifts and it isn't as bad as I thought? I know I messed up so many times but the guest service area and other cashiers that are more knowledgable will be happy to help. Sometimes i felt kinda stupid for asking questions and then the answer would be obvious but eh we live and learn.

What I dont like about cashier is you will probably be pressured on selling red cards. >.< I was filling out a shift for someone else and I got asked about how many redcards I sold. Zero! :(

I must clarify that my sample size is pretty small. I'm a Hardlines TM, and only cashier as backup. This is usually once or twice a shift, for maybe 10-15 minutes at a time. So I've not actually done it a whole lot, but even so, I find myself actually volunteering to go up to the front for backup.
I think Ill like it, I just think Im going to get so tired of standing still lel

I hear ya. I also have social anxiety and thats why i applied for Softlines (fold clothes, avoid people). I usually avoided the calls for backup cashier (my store is not a super target so when its busy they usually call softlines for backup cashiers). However I got scheduled for cashier shifts and it isn't as bad as I thought? I know I messed up so many times but the guest service area and other cashiers that are more knowledgable will be happy to help. Sometimes i felt kinda stupid for asking questions and then the answer would be obvious but eh we live and learn.

What I dont like about cashier is you will probably be pressured on selling red cards. >.< I was filling out a shift for someone else and I got asked about how many redcards I sold. Zero! :(
I would love to be softlines. I know im going to suck at asking for help after a few times cuz I wont want to be annoying but Its good incentive if you know you'll mess up otherwise. the whole red card thing feels like itd be a script, thats how it comes across at the targets here at least. They dont seem like they care that much if they get any

Yeah, with cashier you encounter new things on every other shift so you learn from your mistakes. I know I have with coupons, gift cards, gift receipts, barcodes etc lol. I still have trouble opening some spiderwraps. My social anxiety gets so bad my brain kind of shuts down for a moment. Gah. However it's helping me to cope bit by bit

Lucky you! At my store we have a quota of 30 redcards per day and trust me, corporate wants you to sell those redcards. It's one of the reasons why I decided not to apply as cashier, I suck at selling and persuading people.

Welcome to Target and welcome to The Break Room.

Coming from somebody that worked on the sales floor backing up cashiers before moving to Asset Protection (store security), my advice would definitely be to invest in comfortable shoes or inserts. Your feet will thank you for it later. Absolutely don't worry about asking for help. That's what your leaders and other team members are around for.

Lastly, when you go for training, you'll learn about "B.O.B." and "L.I.S.A." which stand for "Bottom of Basket" and "Look InSide Always" respectively. Always make sure that you're looking at the bottom portion of shopping carts and baskets to check for merchandise that the guest may have forgotten, and always remember to look inside of merchandise such as backpacks, storage tubs, shoeboxes, purses, or anything else that could potentially be used to conceal merchandise.

Best of luck to you!

Enjoy the ride.

Yeah, with cashier you encounter new things on every other shift so you learn from your mistakes. I know I have with coupons, gift cards, gift receipts, barcodes etc lol. I still have trouble opening some spiderwraps. My social anxiety gets so bad my brain kind of shuts down for a moment. Gah. However it's helping me to cope bit by bit

Lucky you! At my store we have a quota of 30 redcards per day and trust me, corporate wants you to sell those redcards. It's one of the reasons why I decided not to apply as cashier, I suck at selling and persuading people.

I develope like a stutter Ive never had and get super clumsy. I figure it should help me slowly get over it a bit tho. From reading on here about cashiering im worried about the couponers cuz I have the habbit of believing anything and thinking the best of someone. That probably wont last long lol
I just noticed it as a guest, might just be because im young and I always have an immediate "No thank you" ready when they ask xD

Welcome to Target and welcome to The Break Room.

Coming from somebody that worked on the sales floor backing up cashiers before moving to Asset Protection (store security), my advice would definitely be to invest in comfortable shoes or inserts. Your feet will thank you for it later. Absolutely don't worry about asking for help. That's what your leaders and other team members are around for.

Lastly, when you go for training, you'll learn about "B.O.B." and "L.I.S.A." which stand for "Bottom of Basket" and "Look InSide Always" respectively. Always make sure that you're looking at the bottom portion of shopping carts and baskets to check for merchandise that the guest may have forgotten, and always remember to look inside of merchandise such as backpacks, storage tubs, shoeboxes, purses, or anything else that could potentially be used to conceal merchandise.

Best of luck to you!

Enjoy the ride.
I will, otherwise ill probably die on my first day. Ill keep that in mind tho, better to ask for help then to fuck something up.
Makes sense, Ive even done that as a guest. There are so many acronyms to remember tho o.o im going to have to take notes or something at orientation

There are so many acronyms to remember tho o.o im going to have to take notes or something at orientation

Thankfully, there's not a lot to remember as far as acronyms go for cashiering. It all becomes second nature after a couple of days. Don't stress, we all had to start somewhere! :)

You backup though. Cashiering for 8 hours is different. The good news is you dont need to worry about speed.

All you need to do is sell the occasional red card. I find cashier isnt a great position for people with anxiety but sometimes you do what you gotta do

For talking to guests, I always start with asking if they'll save 5%. This way, they know about a REDCard right away and we have something to talk about. Otherwise, I try to observe something I can talk about. If I see a guest is buying a lot of clothes, I joke about working in Softlines (my primary workcentre). If they have a birthday gift card they're paying with I might wish them a happy birthday.

I always try to make them feel welcome, and I have only had a handful bad/"mean" guests and I'm extremely shy so I can say from experience cashiering can be fun! I prefer sales floor usually, but it's always fun to talk to people whilst cashiering and being one of the last impressions they have of the store. A last thing to mention is a) how much the guest saves, printed on the receipt b) guest surveys.

My store is really big on rewarding TMs who get positive guest comments, REDCards, work to reduce shortage, etc, so it's motivating.

Aside from BOB and LISA, we get told PETER (Process Everything That Enters Register). We scan everything, and void unintentional multiple scans of the same one product (For example, if a guest is buying one candy bar and we accidentally scan it twice). We also make sure the guest doesn't have any items paid for that they leave without.

Last edited:
You backup though. Cashiering for 8 hours is different. The good news is you dont need to worry about speed.

All you need to do is sell the occasional red card. I find cashier isnt a great position for people with anxiety but sometimes you do what you gotta do

Exactly why I didnt say anything and took the job, needed it to much. Should I maybe mention it to them at orientation tho, that I might be better for softlines or something because of it?

For talking to guests, I always start with asking if they'll save 5%. This way, they know about a REDCard right away and we have something to talk about. Otherwise, I try to observe something I can talk about. If I see a guest is buying a lot of clothes, I joke about working in Softlines (my primary workcentre). If they have a birthday gift card they're paying with I might wish them a happy birthday.

I always try to make them feel welcome, and I have only had a handful bad/"mean" guests and I'm extremely shy so I can say from experience cashiering can be fun! I prefer sales floor usually, but it's always fun to talk to people whilst cashiering and being one of the last impressions they have of the store. A last thing to mention is a) how much the guest saves, printed on the receipt b) guest surveys.

My store is really big on rewarding TMs who get positive guest comments, REDCards, work to reduce shortage, etc, so it's motivating.

Aside from BOB and LISA, we get told PETER (Process Everything That Enters Register). We scan everything, and void unintentional multiple scans of the same one product (For example, if a guest is buying one candy bar and we accidentally scan it twice). We also make sure the guest doesn't have any items paid for that they leave without.

Thanks Ill keep that in mind, its nice to hear some good things about cashier. Makes it seem less daunting. cx

Yes I think its wise to ask about cross training. You can impress the softlines leadership and get hours there and sometimes give away the cashier shifts you do not want .

Exactly, cashiering while doing backup is easy because you just do the transactions and gtfo. It's different when you have a full shift because you are expected to sell redcards especially when you have a bunch of transactions in a day. My manager told me "all you need is confidence" and I'm thinking "this is why I'm not a cashier, I don't want the constant pressure of selling redcards." Plus people who don't want it either pay cash or pay with credit cards that give them points or cash back. Ugh :(

You should be aware that at many stores, softlines tms often cover the phones. Not sure if thats a problem for you. Also, you will still have plenty of interactions with guests--sometimes fairly long ones. And, sometimes they will grab your arm or touch your back to get your attention. Not often, but it happens. Not trying to scare you. More that forewarned is forearmed.

You should be aware that at many stores, softlines tms often cover the phones. Not sure if thats a problem for you. Also, you will still have plenty of interactions with guests--sometimes fairly long ones. And, sometimes they will grab your arm or touch your back to get your attention. Not often, but it happens. Not trying to scare you. More that forewarned is forearmed.

Good advice although at my store we schedule a fitting room operator so at most you would cover her breaks.

Also answering the phones is pretty easy for Target. The hours are pre recorded and you usually just direct them to the right person over the walkie and say call on 80.

I have social anxiety too gets better as you learn to be social w this job

Whats so difficult about it to you?

The guests with their crazy expectations. Four lines ringing at once during the holidays, and three of those lines are tms from our sister store down the road. No hardlines tms answering me when I need help in toys. The prank calls we get, sometimes 5+ per night. I hate the phones with a passion.

If your store has ship from store, it may be worthwhile to ask about getting trained for that. That's one of the more isolated positions in the store and if your store is anything like mine right now, they'll definitely be looking for TMs for SFS during Q4. Essentially you fill one of two roles. Picking, which is running around the store looking for specific items, and packing preparing those items for shipping. If you're picking and on the floor, you're expected to help guests that require it, but not actively seek guests. If you're packing, you're tucked away in the back and usually rocking out. :) Really not a bad gig.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back