When opu rolled out first time it came with the guest service owning it including the picking
Ah, I wasn’t at target then, but I know in the past 2 years I’ve worked it’s never been our responsibility and none of the GSTMs I work with who have been there longer ever mentioned having to do it. ASANTS magbe

guest advocates are supposed to be entirely focused on the guest and helping provide them with the best guest experience possible. picking orders is counter intuitive to that. the modernization guide for service and engagement does state that S&E owns drive up and order pickup, but it means the guest facing portions of it only. processing order pickups at the service desk and bringing drive up to the guest in the parking lot.

This is something that corporate needs to give further direction on. There was a pilot to put OPU/Drive Up under guest services, including the picking. My store was part of it. Guests services owns the metrics. It's nuts. The GSTLs are the least likely TMs in the store to know what needs to be done on the salesfloor and backroom to keep the metrics green, or if the picker just isn't doing the job right. But, that's the way it is.

This does not mean that cashiers and GS TMs do the actual picking, although I'm now being asked to train them on the basics of it so they know. But, hours for OPU/Drive-Up are alloted under the front end. I was told the reasoning for this is that OPU pickers are stand-ins for guests and it's part of advocating for guests to go all out and find the items they are looking for. Guest advocacy falls under Service and Engagement. That's the department that will be least likely to INF items because they are focused on the guests first. Yes, it was difficult for my GM TL to keep a straight face when telling me that.

This does not mean that cashiers and GS TMs do the actual picking, although I'm now being asked to train them on the basics of it so they know. But, hours for OPU/Drive-Up are alloted under the front end.
OPU front end hours are for TMs stationed to do OPU processing only rather than SD. these hours are NOT meant for picking

guest advocates are supposed to be entirely focused on the guest and helping provide them with the best guest experience possible. picking orders is counter intuitive to that. the modernization guide for service and engagement does state that S&E owns drive up and order pickup, but it means the guest facing portions of it only. processing order pickups at the service desk and bringing drive up to the guest in the parking lot.

Cause most guest service/cashier peeps and this isn't a put down to them but they can't pick orders to save their damn lives. We tried that a couple years ago where guest service/cashier peeps pick the OPU orders and we got it back when their INF was over %30 and goal times were even worse. It's just not their thing, they deal with people better than I ever could, let them deal with people I will be happy to pick orders and get covered in the dirt that is the backroom.

OPU front end hours are for TMs stationed to do OPU processing only rather than SD. these hours are NOT meant for picking

This is why we need more direction from corporate. All stores are not interpreting the current directions the same. My shifts are all scheduled as Transfer-Guest Services-OPU. I don't just process orders. I do the picking. That was the pilot: hours given to GS for picking. Not everyone is on the same page with whatever the rollout decision ultimately was apparently.

I'd love to have that fall back under GM so that my TL in the system is my TL in practice. It would make my life easier.

Do any stores here operate with a fulfillment captain? We had one but he was promoted out and we've been without one for nearly 4 months. I was wondering if this was common at all.

Do any stores here operate with a fulfillment captain? We had one but he was promoted out and we've been without one for nearly 4 months. I was wondering if this was common at all.

We havent had one since I stepped back from the captainship near the end of Q4.

Last edited:
I was captain until the end of Q4. Partly because I stepped back due to leadership changes, but there hasn't been one since.
Do you know if they actively look to fill that role or if its an "as needed" type of role? I'm pushing for the position officially since I basically run the department whenever my leads off and want to know the best way to go about it or if its even worth going for you know?

Do you know if they actively look to fill that role or if its an "as needed" type of role? I'm pushing for the position officially since I basically run the department whenever my leads off and want to know the best way to go about it or if its even worth going for you know?

I think it was probably considered more of an "as needed" situation in my store. Not sure if it might also be affected with all the modernization changes. Good luck to you, if you go for it. Keep in mind it doesn't come with higher pay for the extra work and stress.

Last edited:
Do you have a fulfillment TL?

Do you have a fulfillment TL?
Yes. But whenever he's off no ones "officially" in charge. I was told by the Logistics ETL once when our lead called out that I was in charge for that day to make sure things get done and ever since then, I've been in charge and getting more comfortable/hands on leading whenever our TL isn't around, but not having that as something that is in an official capacity irks me. I'm afraid that I'm being naive and trying to hard for what my job actually is right now because of that uncertainty. And although I don't think I'm being used or having a carrot dangled in front of me, this is my first job with REAL upward mobility. I don't think I'd be able to spot it happening if it was.

Yes. But whenever he's off no ones "officially" in charge. I was told by the Logistics ETL once when our lead called out that I was in charge for that day to make sure things get done and ever since then, I've been in charge and getting more comfortable/hands on leading whenever our TL isn't around, but not having that as something that is in an official capacity irks me. I'm afraid that I'm being naive and trying to hard for what my job actually is right now because of that uncertainty. And although I don't think I'm being used or having a carrot dangled in front of me, this is my first job with REAL upward mobility. I don't think I'd be able to spot it happening if it was.

Unfortunately, most stores and SFS are like that. When the lead (whether they have a Fulfillment lead or another TL) looking over SFS is off/gone it's usually ignored by the other leads. The only people that seem to watch it would be the STL or ETL LOG, but not all stores prioritize ship because it's still a relatively small portion of the business.

I would take charge as much as you want. Nobody is going to test you really, so if you're trying or at least considering moving up, the best way to show you are ready is to do the job you want, even though you don't actually have it, yet.

Unfortunately, most stores and SFS are like that. When the lead (whether they have a Fulfillment lead or another TL) looking over SFS is off/gone it's usually ignored by the other leads. The only people that seem to watch it would be the STL or ETL LOG, but not all stores prioritize ship because it's still a relatively small portion of the business.

I would take charge as much as you want. Nobody is going to test you really, so if you're trying or at least considering moving up, the best way to show you are ready is to do the job you want, even though you don't actually have it, yet.
Its frustrating how true that is. When the leads not on, no one pays flex any mind. I'm prideful of flex and proud when we can meet a deadline against odds. Its frustrating when the store seems to be working against you. Like, half the time our flex team members get taken by other leads for push or reshop on days where we are already short handed and I have no authority to stop that. All I can do is pray the logistics etl is on and ask if theres anyway we can get people sent to help us with packing to meet our scan-in deadline

Same! This happened yesterday and my TL was so frustrated that they did that, since we could have finished early then did other projects but instead we finished barely on time after they were forced to switch the tm back :rolleyes:
Sounds pretty much the same. My lead gets pissed too. Seems like theres a lot of poaching as well. Two really good flex members at our store got poached by the logistics etl and moved off of flex entirely. Anyone that shows promise in flex at my store gets taken away.

Seems like theres a lot of poaching as well

I mean...I've been poached for backroom off and on because I'm fast and organized, but always moved back because there's not enough of us in Ship to get everything done. Like today...when my closer called off so it was just me at 1pm staring down 80dcpis to pick with 3 full carts to pack in the back and a mountain of opus raining down on me 😅

We just get told there are more important things to do over OPU.. As if driving guests into the store wasn't important.. But that Uboat of domestics is sooooo much more important.. It makes our TL so damn mad its not funny cause our metrics go to shit and then he gets in trouble for it.. Sorry dude we have told you that shit happens all the time..

We just get told there are more important things to do over OPU.. As if driving guests into the store wasn't important.. But that Uboat of domestics is sooooo much more important.. It makes our TL so damn mad its not funny cause our metrics go to shit and then he gets in trouble for it.. Sorry dude we have told you that shit happens all the time..
Can we start a petition to cancel your heathen store?

We had a flood yesterday, what are the signs of the apocalypse? Fire, Flood and I wish I had a clue how to spell it, but I think it means mass sickness like a plague. So one of three!
Two more to go!!!
We had a virtual flood yesterday. SFS picks were down from 328 to just 67 around 11:30am and schedule was adjusted to two packers and one to finish picking. Within 10 minutes almost 400 additional picks dropped!!!

I wish I could use sfs/flex team members to do other tasks. It's the opposite at my store. My softlines, beauty, and electronics teams are pulled every single day because sfs always needs help. Forget pushing, zoning, trying to do skill up....forget it all because sfs comes first. It's so frustrating because I can't hold my salesfloor team accountable for a job they're not allowed to do because it isnt a priority. Then we get a bad visit and I try to explain that the night before I had no one in softlines after 6 PM because the lod pulled them to do shipping.

Back