Archived Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
was working as usual and two very nice ladies came to my register , with children clothes, shoes, household products, (was not odd at all) so she tells me she has coupons I'm like "ok" fully complamenting me, I was like saying thanks way to much if you know what I mean ,then comes the suspicious part lots of gift cards, I was like wait a minute, somethings not right I secretly hit my alert button and notified LOD , . Of course they left but a few days later I saw them at another register and the cashier said they got mostly gift cards, so of course LOD got involved and it was later found out the girls was buying items and returning with a gift receipt and getting the full amount Ina gift card, they often came in with three of them , they all three are now under investigation, apparently I wasn't there only victim,

Yes it is the k4 button in our store , I previously worked in Va, and it was the k3 button so ask your floor manager they will tell you

Yes it is the k4 button in our store , I previously worked in Va, and it was the k3 button so ask your floor manager they will tell you

What? On the register there is a "Help" button that will send a Redwire alert to the GSA/GSTL (And to the LOD if they are signed in as a GSA/GSTL, but that's not very likely). K4 on the register is for the GSTL commands, and it isn't accessible for regular team members.

I have pushed the help button before on accident but no one came. When I request money, it sometimes takes 1 hour for the GSA to come and bring me money.

I have pushed the help button before on accident but no one came. When I request money, it sometimes takes 1 hour for the GSA to come and bring me money.
That's why you have to lock eyes with them from across the front lanes and scream at them for money

The only special button I know of is the Add'l Assistance button. You can bet I've pressing that one a lot lately with the low payroll. Few cashiers are scheduled and then we've been having 3-4 callouts (for cashiers) per day. Makes for a fun day. Not.

just waive them down and let them know. if by some miracle we have a mydevice, we have to sign into redwire and get alerts. it will log you out without letting us know. when i get alerts i'll be pretty quick. if not, it definitely can be an hour or more.

There's a lot of "fraud couponing" in our area, I was told to do the blinking light, waiving down, eye contact, etc but the "secret button" can take awhile for anyone to come over also, I'm still consider new, but I don't let no coupons get by me no more, I was accused of accepting them on purpose , I will always get coupons approved before I accept any RED FLAG ... Anyone buying things with a lot of cheap items , candy socks, travel size items , be on the look out

I've been getting some pretty mild coupon/return fraud. The case used to be, frauders would come in with bags filled with hundreds if not a thousand dollars worth of merchandise, with no receipts.

Now, they ARE returning with receipts, with only a few items, and only returning 3-4 items. However, they're all bought with manufacture coupons. So they get about $100 back for what they only paid about $20-$40 for. I don't feel comfortable turning down these returns because they're so small scale, and we aren't supposed to adjust prices for manufacture coupons. It's annoying feeling like the guest is buying and returning with the intention of making money and cheating the system.

I have a question though. Since Target gets compensated anyway for manufacture coupons, are these kinds of returns even technically fraud? It's definitely very exploitive, but I'm super paranoid handling these transactions. Part of me is worried about getting in trouble for accepting them. On the other hand, I don't feel like I have the grounds to deny them, and I fear getting in trouble for not saying "yes to everything." It was a lot easier to deny these returns when they came in high quantities and were just blatant fraud. But now these returns have become so small scale, I've just been doing them anyway.

I've been getting some pretty mild coupon/return fraud. The case used to be, frauders would come in with bags filled with hundreds if not a thousand dollars worth of merchandise, with no receipts.

Now, they ARE returning with receipts, with only a few items, and only returning 3-4 items. However, they're all bought with manufacture coupons. So they get about $100 back for what they only paid about $20-$40 for. I don't feel comfortable turning down these returns because they're so small scale, and we aren't supposed to adjust prices for manufacture coupons. It's annoying feeling like the guest is buying and returning with the intention of making money and cheating the system.

I have a question though. Since Target gets compensated anyway for manufacture coupons, are these kinds of returns even technically fraud? It's definitely very exploitive, but I'm super paranoid handling these transactions. Part of me is worried about getting in trouble for accepting them. On the other hand, I don't feel like I have the grounds to deny them, and I fear getting in trouble for not saying "yes to everything." It was a lot easier to deny these returns when they came in high quantities and were just blatant fraud. But now these returns have become so small scale, I've just been doing them anyway.
That's where it gets really tricky. If it's only a couple items at a time, then you can't deny the return based on that transaction alone. You can, however, deny it if you see that it's the same guest doing it over and over.

As long as the coupon is legit, Target will get reimbursed for the price of the coupon, so Target won't lose any money. The manufacturer is the one that is getting screwed. So we're fine, right? Yes and no. I feel like we have some small responsibility to protect the manufacturers because we need to maintain a good relationship with them. We need to make some effort to protect them, as long as the fraud is pretty obvious.

Where Target gets screwed is when the item being returned is a consumable item (food, toothpaste, OTC meds, etc) that goes red/defect out upon return.
Even though we're being reimbursed for the coupon value, the item is defected out & can't be resold.
And if it happens enough times it CAN be a significant impact.

As long as the coupon is legit, Target will get reimbursed for the price of the coupon, so Target won't lose any money. The manufacturer is the one that is getting screwed. So we're fine, right? Yes and no. I feel like we have some small responsibility to protect the manufacturers because we need to maintain a good relationship with them. We need to make some effort to protect them, as long as the fraud is pretty obvious.

That's only correct if the coupon is valid. So if a guest uses a $5 coupon on a travel-sized item for example, and the cashier K1 - Accepts it, then we won't be reimbursed and we will lose money on the return. At least, this is how I was told that it works by our ETL-GE. But there's really no way to prove the coupons were fraudulent unless the guest was stupid enough to go straight to the Service Desk to return them immediately after buying them. That is where it gets iffy. Thankfully at my store, our Leadership backed us and straight up told us to deny any HBA return with coupons on it. Technically, we can deny a return for any reason as long as you have the cajones to stand up to them.

My apologies. My reading comprehension must be on vacation.

True dat.
I've made trips where I bought ONLY what was on my list, used my coupons, cartwheel & (when I still worked there) TM disc.
I had a lady practically looking over my shoulder one time as I was applying all my discounts & coupons.
Even worked in a redcard pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back