Archived Fresh Grocery Driveup/Pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLN13

Hardlines TM
My store is getting fresh grocery pickup/driveup extremely soon, they’re installing fridges next week. Is this a global rollout or are we just piloting it? Anyone else?

Kind of worried about this because it’s literally going to explode our OPU, we’re going to have 60 hours a day for OPU vs ~20 right now. Every single guest I take out a driveup to always says this wish they could order milk and eggs and says they would order ALL their groceries for Driveup. Anyone else piloting this soon or just us?

This little icon was on an order I picked not too long ago. I’m not sure why it was there because it was picked off the shelf, I asked the leadership in my store and they didn’t know how to go about it, so I just finished it like normal since we don’t have a fridge for OPU. I reallly hope this doesn’t happen because like you said, it’s going to blow up the orders.

Attachments

• 447F0607-A1C3-4991-993D-C1280B248D32.jpeg
    447F0607-A1C3-4991-993D-C1280B248D32.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 165
I wish my store was getting this. While, I'm not looking forward to larger picks within the 30 minute time limit, letting guests order cold and frozen is necessary for Target to be competitive in the grocery pickup space. And, since we haven't been informed whether or not our OPU people can still pick up hours in other workcenters after the new ops roll out, anything that means more hours for us is great. Install the fridges already. It should have been done a couple of years ago.

it’s a pilot. there are some additional requirements to be able to pick groceries (food safety training, use a special vehicle, etc) though

My store is getting fresh grocery pickup/driveup extremely soon, they’re installing fridges next week. Is this a global rollout or are we just piloting it? Anyone else?

Kind of worried about this because it’s literally going to explode our OPU, we’re going to have 60 hours a day for OPU vs ~20 right now. Every single guest I take out a driveup to always says this wish they could order milk and eggs and says they would order ALL their groceries for Driveup. Anyone else piloting this soon or just us?

What part of the country are you in if you don't mind sharing?

Yes please this will allow our fulfillment sales to skyrocket to compete with lots of other stores! It will also give us hours to actually do stuff correctly and efficiently our metrics won't be in the red anymore!

I heard our remodel ETL say something about installing fridges at GS, but I don't think we're getting it quite yet.

We don't have room now at gs for all the different types of online orders. During 4th quarter we had to use conference room to hold orders. Naturally the guests didn't like how long it took.
Behind guest service wall is a safety issue as it is now. We don't have drive up yet.

I think it’s a bad idea.

The average OPU guest turns around and buys more in store than a regular guest.

Now, if that OPU guest has frozen food with them? More incentive for them to rush it home. OPU is just a way to drive in store sales and larger basket sizes. Adding food to the mix doesn’t further that goal.

What part of the country are you in if you don't mind sharing?
Twin Cities greater metro. Roughly 45mins-hour drive from Minneapolis depending on traffic.
Wouldn’t this compete with Shipt?
Not really, Shipt is a grocery delivery service that costs money. Drive Up would be free and an easy way to pick up groceries on the way home from work or picking up the kids.
I think it’s a bad idea.

The average OPU guest turns around and buys more in store than a regular guest.

Now, if that OPU guest has frozen food with them? More incentive for them to rush it home. OPU is just a way to drive in store sales and larger basket sizes. Adding food to the mix doesn’t further that goal.
This is for drive up as well, not just OPU.

I just really wonder what we’re going to do regarding substitutions. I have a feeling we’ll have some pretty angry guests if we’re out of Kemp’s milk and can’t substitute to MP...

this is to stay competitive with Walmart
I think it will be way more popular than walmart. You have to order your groceries a couple days in advance normally at Walmart and pick a time slot to come pick it up. Imagine being able to get your groceryies ready in under 30 minutes (or around there) and pick them up whenever you feel like it? It’s gonna be nuts

No. Shipt delivers their order directly to their home. With food OPU the guest would have to still come to the store to pick up
If the only difference is sitting in their car and hitting a button and ALL of their shopping is done, for FREE, I feel like some people won’t use Shipt anymore

I disagree there. With Drive Up,you still have to haul it all into your home. Shipt does inside delivery, and orders over $35 have no delivery fee. It may not make much difference to a homeowner, but that may be enough to make the subscription fee worthwhile.

I think it will be way more popular than walmart. You have to order your groceries a couple days in advance normally at Walmart and pick a time slot to come pick it up. Imagine being able to get your groceryies ready in under 30 minutes (or around there) and pick them up whenever you feel like it? It’s gonna be nuts

The last time I used Walmart for this I had the stuff bought the previous night and picked it up the next day

If the only difference is sitting in their car and hitting a button and ALL of their shopping is done, for FREE, I feel like some people won’t use Shipt anymore
I disagree there. With Drive Up,you still have to haul it all into your home. Shipt does inside delivery, and orders over $35 have no delivery fee. It may not make much difference to a homeowner, but that may be enough to make the subscription fee worthwhile.
I kind of agree with both of you! I also feel like some people won't use Shipt anymore. For a lot of people, the appeal to Shipt is the fact that you don't need to do the shopping. Those people might feel that grocery OPU offers them the same/similar benefit, and they can get it for free as long as they're willing to drive to the store, and carry the bags into their home. That being said, I think Shipt will still be popular with people who are elderly, ill, or don't have a vehicle.

Agreed on this! I loved the idea of Grocery Pick Up when it was first offered in my area (I HATE grocery shopping), but I was annoyed by the fact that I couldn't just place the order the night before! But Target giving people the ability to order their groceries in the morning, and pick them up on their way home from work? I think that'll be very popular.

what state are u in? i want mys tore to do this. i hate dealing with dumb customers on the spot.

Hope they're planning on charging a fee since this is such a massive payroll sink on extremely low-margin products.

I'm not familiar with similar services from competitors, do Walmart or typical grocery stores charge a fee for fresh grocery pickup?

I'm not familiar with similar services from competitors, do Walmart or typical grocery stores charge a fee for fresh grocery pickup?
Most grocery stores charge a fee, Walmart has a minimum but doesn't charge a fee. I just assume they're going to not increase payroll any if they do this, so at least a fee would keep there from being an absolute flood of orders constantly.

I dont see how it would be any harder. At least all of the perishables are in 1 place. Literally pick and stow. Not like you have to RFID for Kraft singles.

Reactions: Dog
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back