Archived Giving the store away... Ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
My store is "giving the store away". Good coupons, fake coupons, it doesn't matter, just accept it. Buttload of HBA returns? A $400 electronics item returned without receipt? Just accept it.

I work C O and tons of photocopied coupons come through. My favorite is the "target coupon"that says it's good for a $50 gift card... No restrictions or minimum purchase. Just accept it. I get several a day.

Apparently Armageddon will rain down upon us all if a guest gives us a low survey score. Or even worse, call corporate. We are to vibe vibe vibe. Give the store away. Quite literally.

And yet tonight I went shopping at the Super Target in town. With coupons. But the coupons were legit for the items I was purchasing. And the cashier stares them down and argues with me over 50cents if the register doesn't automatically accept.

We are 2 Targets in 1 town. If you ever wondered how a guest says "the other store lets me..." Well this is how it happens.

Sorry it bugged me to fight over 50cents here, a dollar there for legitimate purchases. But at my home store we let the scammers get away with crap for fear they fill out an angry survey on us.

My store is "giving the store away". Good coupons, fake coupons, it doesn't matter, just accept it. Buttload of HBA returns? A $400 electronics item returned without receipt? Just accept it.

I work C O and tons of photocopied coupons come through. My favorite is the "target coupon"that says it's good for a $50 gift card... No restrictions or minimum purchase. Just accept it. I get several a day.

Apparently Armageddon will rain down upon us all if a guest gives us a low survey score. Or even worse, call corporate. We are to vibe vibe vibe. Give the store away. Quite literally.

And yet tonight I went shopping at the Super Target in town. With coupons. But the coupons were legit for the items I was purchasing. And the cashier stares them down and argues with me over 50cents if the register doesn't automatically accept.

We are 2 Targets in 1 town. If you ever wondered how a guest says "the other store lets me..." Well this is how it happens.

Sorry it bugged me to fight over 50cents here, a dollar there for legitimate purchases. But at my home store we let the scammers get away with crap for fear they fill out an angry survey on us.
Messed up priorities. Good guest surveys > sales. This is why stores shouldn't have an override code for refunds, it should have to come from someone else who can assess whether or not to give an override code.

That $50 coupon is only given out by Mobile. You really shouldn't accept it. It's only for generating a gift card for certain sales.

Messed up priorities. Good guest surveys > sales. This is why stores shouldn't have an override code for refunds, it should have to come from someone else who can assess whether or not to give an override code.

God no, having to call and speak to the Indian dude who couldn't speak proper English to save his fucking life and waste 10 minutes of my time and the guests time to get a fucking five digit # to allow them to get $5 in cash back was not better. It was horribly obnoxious.

The answer is training your supervisors to know when to give the guest what they want and when to not do so, not to handcuff them and make them have to call someone and beg for permission anytime they want to do anything that requires critical thinking.

The problem with this along with so many other things is guest will take advantage over your store then they know they're scamming and don't care. Where's AP? Do they not care about the 24/7 coupon fraud happening?

Its notvasset protection. Its theft clerk. All thatt worthless position is , glorified inventory. Unless your lucky to be at a store that has balls. Which ive yet to hear of.

I worked retail way back in the "Gimbels" days, they were a department store like "Macy's" they went bankrupt back in Spetember 1986, their downfall, giving into the customers and returning everything. At that time they took all returns from the competing department stores in the area and all Kmart, Zayers, Murphy's Mart stuff, there was no wal-Mart in the area at that time or Target.
So, I feel Target is going in this direction, it may be 2 or 3 years out, but we are on the trend to go banckrupt.

Here is just a list of Big Department stores in my area no longer around: "Woolworth's, Grants, Zayers, Murphy's Mart, Boscov's, Lazarus, Horne's, Kaufman's, Sak's Fifth Ave, Ames, Hill's, Lord & Taylor" not sure how "KMart" has made it sooo long?

Last edited:
Its notvasset protection. Its theft clerk. All thatt worthless position is , glorified inventory. Unless your lucky to be at a store that has balls. Which ive yet to hear of.

Our AP has balls, we apprehend someone almost once or twice a week. We don't accept photocopied coupons. Matter of fact, yesterday we had someone actually try to use a coupon they photocopied on to notebook paper. Typically I work in electronics and I happened to be walking by a register to get an Ipad from reshop that had been returned. Saw the situation coming on as I was walking by and helped out the seasonal cashier by calmly explaining why we don't accept photocopied coupons.

I think in that situation it was a little easy just because of how obvious the fake coupon was so there wasn't any real fight in the guest. However last night there was also someone who thought they could get a $250 car seat or stroller (wasn't paying that close attention) for $50 and she wanted us to price match her friends receipt. We tried our hardest got the price knocked down to $121 by getting most of the discounts from her friends receipt but couldn't find the last discount. She was mad about it but there wasn't much we could do to find the last discount, she ended up spending over $1000 on baby stuff so, GG.

Some guests will get so frustrated over the smallest things but they'll always come back -_- just to avoid Walmart... it's funny.

I always felt I had the support of AP - both our one that moved to another store, and the new guy. The new guy isn't as personable and out "in our face" as much, but he is watching and will have our back if he is in the store. The problem is he is ONE person, and that is only 40 hours. I did see he was possibly training a seasonal, i'm happy about that.

The rest of the team - it runs 50/50 on getting someone willing to deny things.

At my store all of the ap has balls, even the chicks. probably we are ultra high risk.

Sounds like OP's STL is getting reamed for bad guest survey scores. So he's doing everything he can to keep his job or bonus. Sucks that TMs will have to pay for it in the end.

Here is just a list of Big Department stores in my area no longer around: "Woolworth's, Grants, Zayers, Murphy's Mart, Boscov's, Lazarus, Horne's, Kaufman's, Sak's Fifth Ave, Ames, Hill's, Lord & Taylor" not sure how "KMart" has made it sooo long?

Huh? Boscov's, Saks, and L&T are still around. Maybe not in your area, but definitely in mine.

Spot needs to Vibe Vibe Vibe with its team members. Treat us at least with the same respect they want us to treat the guests. Treating someone the right way goes a long way.
it definately does, but target follows the guest is always right logic. which always means the employee is always wrong thats why we get into these messes. and the guest knows they could do anything they want.

Huh? Boscov's, Saks, and L&T are still around. Maybe not in your area, but definitely in mine.

The only one near me is Lord & Taylor. All of our Kaufman's stores became Macy's. I remember going to Hills as a kid and getting popcorn. Then it closed and became Ames, which was disappointing because both of the Ames stores near me sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back