Going ladderless

Yesterday my TL taped some of the backroom aisles green, yellow, and red. They don't want use to use ladders anymore and want to put the backstock on the lower shelves.

I understand this but what is the point if the DCs keep sending us all this stuff we don't need.

Does corporate think we like using ladders to put things high up?

Thoughts.

They tried this at my store, we failed miserably with all the front loading of thanksgiving/Christmas/covid.
Laderless is a good idea in the perfect world , currently its just Target.

Think there's a another thread for this but it's ridiculous! Especially during q4. I'd love not to use a ladder but floor only holds so much and when you send me 58 of the same thing its gotta go somewhere...

We are ladderless in most parts of our backroom still working on market. Toys was before the holidays. We do occasional put stuff on the higher shelves but its usually transition items.

I'd love to not haul cases of hand sanitizer up the ladder to shelves way up there! Seriously, if it wasn't for the incredible amount of that stuff, I'd easily be able to keep all my product ladder-less and case-less.
Thinking about other back room aisles though, seems like most of them have at least some stuff high enough to need a ladder and it's not like there's empty space on lower shelves.

Telling people to not use the ladders isn't a good way to try to make the backroom ladderless. People aren't putting stuff on high shelves just for fun, they do it because they have to because there's no space below. Without getting it so there's somehow less product in the back, all this would do is make the backroom a complete mess and have everyone wishing for ladders back.

I would love to be ladderless, but given the quantities of freight we get....ahahahahahahahahahaha!

Of course people put backstock on lower shelves. That's natural. Nobody wants to haul shit up and down ladders if they don't have to. If y'all would stop sending us 4000 towels and 800 pillows and and 95 Barbie Dreamhouses and 150 Christmas trees and 15 pallets of diapers etc etc etc we might be able to get somewhere, but it's not like my store is requesting that much freight so....

Pretty much have been ladderless since June with the occasional bedding and small apps aisles getting higher but we always manage to get them down eventually

We’ve been able to implement a ladderless backroom in some areas with some success. But we still need a ladder for a lot of areas, there’s just not enough space.

What the fuck are they thinking going laderless. Going laderless is going to make that backroom an even bigger mess than it is already. We need the top part for reason. It's hold more storage.

I had heard that we are eventually going all repacks except for perishables.

The problem is some stores the unloading line isn't set up properly to do that.

Back to the ladderless issue I noticed in our backroom that the style aisles are stack up to the very top shelf.

Some of that is due to the WACOs not being as deep.
Got to go box free in 2021. All repacks.

Weren't they floating the idea to send all freight on metros pre-sorted by aisle? At least that makes sense but repacks are completely stupid and impossible to look through even when they are sorted by sub area, i.e. all toothpaste and toothbrushes in the same repack for hba, and Target won't let the stores scan the repack label and see whats in the boxes. They must really not want stores to send back all the overstock of crap they send us in toys and school supplies, which you can't send back if they aren't in the original box. You'd think that Target would have continue overnight unloads to support fulfillment and make it easier considering they are already prioritizing it over other work centers as it is. The other issue is mispicks unless Target also pushes constant OH audits of areas to fix DC mistakes.

Yay! More repacks! More crushed items! More leaking items! More repacks that have the bottom fall-out when they are picked up! More break-pack labels stuck to items that now have to be defected! More items that are completely unwrapped and all mixed up (basically like reshop on steroids!)

Woot Woot!

Weren't they floating the idea to send all freight on metros pre-sorted by aisle? At least that makes sense but repacks are completely stupid and impossible to look through even when they are sorted by sub area, i.e. all toothpaste and toothbrushes in the same repack for hba, and Target won't let the stores scan the repack label and see whats in the boxes. They must really not want stores to send back all the overstock of crap they send us in toys and school supplies, which you can't send back if they aren't in the original box. You'd think that Target would have continue overnight unloads to support fulfillment and make it easier considering they are already prioritizing it over other work centers as it is. The other issue is mispicks unless Target also pushes constant OH audits of areas to fix DC mistakes.
There’s like 150 stores testing this. I worked in one for almost a year and it was awesome.

So, what about things like comforters and boxes of pillows and hangers plastic storage bins, lamps, candles, and all sorts of fragile, large, awkward sized- and shaped stuff? I love me some domestics repacks, don't get me wrong, and I would fucking love not to have to deal with so much damn packaging on the breakables, but I don't see how we don't get lamps and candles and mugs and all that stuff without padding.

And if we got rid of boxes, what would we do for salvage?

There’s like 150 stores testing this. I worked in one for almost a year and it was awesome.
Detrashing all of the stuff for home and domestics takes so long I don't see this becoming a thing since this means that the DC eats the cost and they pay more at the DC so I see this cost being absorbed at the store level like it is now, plus this idea just makes too much sense for spot to make standard.

What are “metros”?

Yeah, for toys this is not possible, especially when the toys are already crammed in in a mix of diff toys as it is

Back