Archived GSA gave discount card to friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capri27

Team Member
So I am a relatively new cashier, and yesterday when I was cashiering a guest came through my lane who I didn't know, and used a TM discount card. I didn't pay much attention at first and I just assumed she was from another store, however after her transaction ended she still had the card on the counter and I saw that she was using one of my GSA's discount card. I know that this is definitely not allowed, but I didn't know what to do in that moment, so I didn't say anything. Should I snitch out my GSA for allowing someone else to use her discount, or should i just let it go?

Well it's against Target policy so....

You could probably call the hotline.

So I am a relatively new cashier, and yesterday when I was cashiering a guest came through my lane who I didn't know, and used a TM discount card. I didn't pay much attention at first and I just assumed she was from another store, however after her transaction ended she still had the card on the counter and I saw that she was using one of my GSA's discount card. I know that this is definitely not allowed, but I didn't know what to do in that moment, so I didn't say anything. Should I snitch out my GSA for allowing someone else to use her discount, or should i just let it go?

Go to AP, they are well trained on investigating this.

One thing to be mindful of is a card for a spouse or dependent will say the team members name on it.

I had some genius cashier try to ID my wife for using her discount card with my name on it. I was going to let it slide but when he got aggressive I reported it to his gstl.

Assuming your leaders are somewhat professional (most are), and you trust that you will remain anonymous, your best course of action is to bring it to the attention of your ETL-GE, ETL-HR, or ETL-AP (and make note of the approximate transaction time). If you're worried about your anonymity being compromised, call/email the integrity hotline. Your leaders will handle it on there. As was stated, your GSA may not have been doing anything wrong, as a spouse or dependent is allowed to carry a TM discount card (and the card would have the TM's name on it).

By the way, my rule with TM discounts is that I will allow it through if they have a card. If I have any suspicions, I'll make note of the transaction time and bring it to the attention of AP. If they don't have a card and I don't recognize them, I'll usually ask them what store they work at, and I'll try to ask something that only a TM would know (usually store number). If I'm on the fence about someone (or they give me a very hard time, and a GSTL isn't nearby), I'll allow it and notify AP afterwards. Technically, you are supposed to use your card for your TM discount at all times- so you are well within your right to refuse to apply the TM discount if the card isn't present. I find that it's usually pretty easy to spot non-TMs. They usually get pretty strict with TM discounts right around this time.

AP is the best bet--ETL or TL. They are the most likely to keep their mouths shut about you. They can check cameras to see if it is the tm making the purchase or someone else. If the tm is married, his spouse is entitled to a card with his name on it as HRzone said.

You should go to AP and HR. These two work centers are serious about policies and conduct so they are a good choice. Plus, AP and HR actually terminates people for the very issue of TMs letting others use their discount.

TM discount cards for dependents will have more than just the TM's name. I believe it actually says "dependent" next to the name.

When a guest presents you a discount card that has just a TM name with no additional text indicating they are a dependent, go ahead and ask them to show you a form of photo ID to check that it matches the TM name. If they get defensive, kindly remind them that it says on the discount card itself to "please be prepared to show acceptable I.D."

Last edited:
As others said go to AP/HR. In the end HR will bring it to AP to investigate so you might as well just go to AP and let them know. Failure to do so could lead to corrective action so let them know before they find out on their own!

Thanks for all of the replies, and to clarify, the GSA is definitely not married. I talked to HR, so hopefully the situation will get handled. I'm not normally the type of person to tattle on other people, but I think I did the right thing.

Good luck to you. I turned in a cashier for letting her neighbor use her discount card to the ETL-AP and the GSTL. Nothing ever happened.

Thanks for all of the replies, and to clarify, the GSA is definitely not married. I talked to HR, so hopefully the situation will get handled. I'm not normally the type of person to tattle on other people, but I think I did the right thing.

TMs don't necessarily have to be married. Their domestic partner and children also qualify as dependents. A lot of times, it is difficult to figure out whether someone is a dependent. Most people don't carry their birth certificate and marriage certificate around with them. Sometimes, they might be adopted or step children who won't have proof. Also, not everyone has time to always shop at Target with the TM who can validate them as a dependent. I would ask your own store's AP on how to handle it. After all, your AP is the the one who is watching everyone for internal theft. They will advise you on whether to just go along with the transaction or _________.

With regular (non-dependent) discount cards, just ask for photo ID. The name on the card should match their documents from orientation.

Yeah, you did the right thing. If the GSA really wasn't doing any thing bad, then they won't get in trouble. Sometimes though, AP may discover that the GSA was also skimming from registers + cash office and giving mad discounts to friends.

Let us know what happens!

I had some genius cashier try to ID my wife for using her discount card with my name on it. I was going to let it slide but when he got aggressive I reported it to his gstl.

Oh man. No need to get aggressive. Plus, doesn't the card say "dependent" on it? Where in her ID would it tell him that she is your dependent? The last name part doesn't work because not everyone changes their last name during marriage. Some like to keep their maiden name (at least, I would like to :rolleyes:). Your other non-dependent family members also share your last name. The address part means nothing as well because you can just be housemates, siblings, etc.

Maybe Target should add a box to type in the dependent's name when TMs request a discount card? If there was a name on it, it would make things simpler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back