Guest say the darndest (dumbest) things

Power was out in my store today. Guest comes to drop off prescription. Explain that our system was down due to the outage.
Guest: so when will it be back on?
Me: I have no idea. They haven't told us anything.
Guest: what, 20 minutes or so?
Me: I really have no clue. It could be an hour or more. We don't have an estimated time. I can call you when it's ready or if you need it immediately, you might want to go somewhere else that has power....
Guest: no, I'll just wait
Me: are you sure? It could be a while
Guest: I'm sure.
(20 minutes later....)
Guest: is it going to be much longer? It's already been, like, half an hour and I have other things to do today
Me: I'm sorry, but we really don't know how long it's going to be. We can call you or you might want to go somewhere else....
Guest: well, if I knew it was going to take so long, I would have just gone home in the first place! Just call me when it's done!
Sounds like she could use some happy pills.

I had a guy, 50ish, come up to me and ask me what the difference was between boxers and boxer briefs.

Lol, it's just an old Grandpa joke. I always answer, "if you have ID." That seems to crack them up.

Heard last night:

"it must be free" (when the bar code wouldn't scan)
"I said I don't want any red card, why can't you just give me a discount anyway?" (because free money doesn't exist)
"Do I get a discount for cash?"
"I used to have the red card and it put me into overdraft!" (no, YOU put yourself into overdraft)

Also, lately people have been handing me their CC instead of swiping. It's some kind of epidemic. The first few times I was like "what are you doing?" and they look at me like I grew a 2nd head. I'm like, uh, swipe your card and point at the card reader. They look all confused and I honestly want to smack them.

Then there's the ones who leave their cart in front of the counter at check out so that the people behind them can't unload anything.

Then there's the ones who scan each item with cartwheel before putting it on the counter. If there's someone behind them with only a few items I tell them that while they're scanning, I can check out the person behind them because their special snowflake ass is holding up business.

Ugh, I need a vacation.

Someone seriously asked me this too I think it's bizzare unless that's the first time they left the house in like 10 years or something

Had another guest come up as I was handing them their change and she said "oh good you still accept cash." This happened last night. At my new job. Who has an older system than target. o_O Makes me wonder sometimes.

There are businesses that don't accept cash. Rent/mortgage, utilities, doctors, etc. Other businesses don't accept certain denominations. So I could see an older person have a concern over the acceptance of cash.

Back