Archived Guests and your phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, here was a new one for me today.

Since the mydevices came out, I have a strict policy of not using my own phone for Target business. I figure Target has decided we can do our job with the equipment it has given to us...and for a billion dollar corporation, they don't need my equipment contribution. Also, my phone was nearly dead anyway today due to me not charging it.

I had a guest come up to me today, and told me that a TM yesterday had scanned their cartwheel to get the her the 10% off an electronics item. So she wanted me to do the same for her today. Now, volunteering to use my account to help someone out if their phone dies or something is one thing. But a guest brazenly telling me to do it is quite another. Unfortunately, when she asked, my hand went straight to my hip where my phone was, so I couldn't lie and say I didn't have it on me.

I ended up searching for the deal, hoping it had reached the limit of people who could grab it, but it was still there. So searching for an out, I told the guest that it looks like I had already used mine the maximum amount of times, so I would be unable to help her. While I was searching for this, I explained that she could do it on her computer at home and bring in the printout next time, but she seemed uninterested in this and preferred to just use ours.

Now, I know there is the cartwheel app on the mydevices, but I don't know the log in, and my guess is most of the leadership team doesn't either. So I could have tried to track down that information, but in questioning the leadership team, I suspect I would have been told to use my phone/account...which again, I was opposed to doing on a couple of different principles.

Was the guest over the line expecting this? Was I just being Queen Stubborn? How would you all have handled it?

Guest expecting you to use your phone to save them money? I think that's going a bit far and isn't something we should be expected to do.

I tried looking up something on my phone for a guest once. Couldn't get anything to load, was a waste of time for the both of us. Can't imagine trying to find something on Cartwheel for them but then again I'm a weirdo who uses the website and not the app.

I'll never do this. I only use my personal phone when all other options are exhausted. I would never go looking for discounts for them to use. They can either take a look at the ones in the ad, or get cartwheel themselves. Since when did discounts shift from being the customer's responsibility to the employee's responsibility?

Guest expecting you to use your phone to save them money? I think that's going a bit far and isn't something we should be expected to do.

I tried looking up something on my phone for a guest once. Couldn't get anything to load, was a waste of time for the both of us. Can't imagine trying to find something on Cartwheel for them but then again I'm a weirdo who uses the website and not the app.

Me too. They don't write the app for my phone. Their loss, cause I have to bad mouth target about it every chance I get.

I never have my phone on me at work. I figure if there's an emergency, my family can call the store line and get to me through the Deli line or the LOD. I would only use my phone at work if I was reimbursed for it.

A guest expecting you to use your personal phone to save them money is way over the line, especially if your store wifi is as crap as it is at my store and you'd have to use your own data to do it.

Not only no but HELL NO!

Several folks who don't even have a smart phone told me they went to target.com & signed up for cartwheel. When they loaded their first list, they printed out the sheet, cropped the scan bar code & used that. Turns out the scan code is unique to the cartwheel acct. When I heard this, I went on & did the same thing (I have an old flip phone). It works!

Not only no but HELL NO!

Several folks who don't even have a smart phone told me they went to target.com & signed up for cartwheel. When they loaded their first list, they printed out the sheet, cropped the scan bar code & used that. Turns out the scan code is unique to the cartwheel acct. When I heard this, I went on & did the same thing (I have an old flip phone). It works!
Yup, I tell everyone who comes through my line with their dead phone wishing they could use cartwheel to do that. Or just screenshot the barcode if the app won't load.

Me too. They don't write the app for my phone. Their loss, cause I have to bad mouth target about it every chance I get.

Are you on a Windows phone too? I guess there is an app for Cartwheel on the store, I just haven't tried it yet because it doesn't quite feel legit to me for reasons.

I am done with using cartwheel for guests. I'm done with cashiers saying that they don't have a phone to use. you know what, if you don't have a phone to use, just explain to the guests that they can either download the app to their phone and use it next time, or print it from their computer.

i think cartwheel is played out now. sprint and t-mobile users cant get online in our store and sometimes when the wifi doesnt have a good signal no one can get online.
I also hate the target app sales and when you scroll into them they say online only. either make it for both target mobile use and store use or don't have it at all.

I use it if the guest is without a smartphone, and do it rarely, thankfully I have unlimited data, so no harm there. I also do not use it on items I plan on using myself, as I do not want to hit any limits before I can use it.

Are you on a Windows phone too? I guess there is an app for Cartwheel on the store, I just haven't tried it yet because it doesn't quite feel legit to me for reasons.

Yep got to have the Lumina camera. And no app in the store as of tonight. I just have the web site as a tile, log in is quick. Not a diff if the Wi-Fi is actually working.

Now, I know there is the cartwheel app on the mydevices, but I don't know the log in, and my guess is most of the leadership team doesn't either. So I could have tried to track down that information, but in questioning the leadership team, I suspect I would have been told to use my phone/account...which again, I was opposed to doing on a couple of different principles.
as for this, my GSTL mentioned that he set one up with his Target email to use on the mydevices, and I did the same thing for when I don't get the one he's logged in on. I don't know if this is technically frowned upon or not, but it's worked for me so far. I don't offer to let guests use it though, I've explained it plenty of times but haven't ever really had any guests ask to use mine.

the only thing that sucks about Cartwheel on the mydevice is that even though the camera isn't covered up by the case, it doesn't load when you pull up 'scan barcode' in Cartwheel, and the scanners won't work for that either. so the only way to actually find deals is to know what you're looking for and search it, or go through the offer menus. and that is a royal PITA.

Awsome news about the unique Cartwheel Barcode! No one ever mentioned it to me before. Now I can just have it in my wallet if I don't have my phone handy. :D

Hahahaha! No one would want my phone or even want to touch it. It's a 20 dollar prepaid flip phone from AT&T.

I don't use my personal cartwheel for guests. As far as mydevices go, there was information in the rollout about setting up a unique login for your store. I logged each device in and posted the info at the tsc in case they log out.

I tell them I have a dumb phone.. which I do. We were told never to use our own cartwheel for guests.

We had people trying to use our GSTL's on Thanksgiving for the beats....unfortunately, it only worked on 1 color, which people tried to argue with me that theirs WERE that color (sorry, but i'm not color blind & can tell the difference between purple & "light blue")

I don't mind using my phone to help guests. Being a cashier it's all I have, and it's faster just to take out my phone and look something up on target.com than turn on my light, wait for a GSA, tell them I need a DCPI, and wait on them. I also don't mind using my cartwheel for a guest since the more I use it the bigger it gets. I'm up to like $50 from just helping guests.

In my store we are encouraged to use our phone to help guests. I don't carry my phone on the floor. I'm flow and I'm paranoid it will fall out of my pocket. It's in a good case, but I'm not taking any chances. I know which tm's have cartwheel on their phone and are willing to use it for guests. I will explain it and tell them how it works but I have not printed my barcode. I have never had a guest that demanded I use my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back