Archived Guests getting pissed off at SCO.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the past month or two our store has been massively under staffing the front. Generally after 7-8 p.m. due to breaks, getting carts, etc.... we only have one person to watch the entire front. Because of this we often don't have any lanes open. Just SCO. If it gets really busy we call for team targets. Tonight I counted at least 5 guests incredibly angry they had to check themselves out. One told me to get off of my ass and do my job.... What he doesn't understand is I'm doing my job. I'm watching to make sure guests aren't stealing anything, I'm answering red lights to remove double scans, incorrect produce scans, credit card issues, coupons, alcohol, cartwheels, collecting reshop, emptying hanger bins, restocking bags... I'm also watching guest service, organizing carts, and fixing the drinks coolers... Guests keep leaving complaints about me and somehow I'm to blame? Do guests really think this is how I want it to be? I would much rather check them out on a lane. I'm not being lazy. I'm doing what I'm told.
It makes absolutely no sense why you wouldn't have 1-2 lanes open all night on a Friday and Saturday night. Is anyone else's store this massively understaffed? What the heck am I supposed to do so guests don't get angry and put the blame on me?

This is how my store is from 8:00-9:00 AM most days. Because of low traffic, I can usually manage, but guests get angry because they have to ask for me to go over to a regular register. This would be frustrating enough if it happened because guests didn't know how we are scheduled in the morning, but several of these guests come regularly at that hour. By now, they should know that we only have SCO open until 9:00. I suspect that many of them do know, but do it anyway for the opportunity to complain about it.

but several of these guests come regularly at that hour. By now, they should know that we only have SCO open until 9:00. I suspect that many of them do know, but do it anyway for the opportunity to complain about it.

I just ring them up at SCO. It's a bit more difficult for me when they don't move the cart enough out of the way, but at least I can keep an eye in the other lanes. Our SCO is busier in the morning than the full service ones anyway.

we never have only sco open... we will close sco before the lane, but my stl tries to push sco so hard to the point where i have seen her take a guests cart or basket from them and walk them over the sco herself.

we’re pretty high volume and have a lot of foot traffic, so sco helps the lunch rush people who ran in for one or two things, but large orders are horrible when we only have sco + one on register. sundays always suck for that reason.

we never have only sco open... we will close sco before the lane, but my stl tries to push sco so hard to the point where i have seen her take a guests cart or basket from them and walk them over the sco herself.

We do in the morning, it varies for how long. Sometimes we get a cashier in 15 minutes after we open, sometimes up to an hour.

Our GSTL will strongly direct guests over to SCO, however not our STL (she's never up front other than to grab Starbucks or lunch). If the guests refuse she'll grab the My checkout to bring down the line that way.

Last edited:
Not quite as bad at my store, but I have had situations where there was only one lane open and it was extremely busy so guests were irate at how long it would take to check out. GSTL asks me to help some redirected guests checkout at SCO. The only problem is it becomes slightly more difficult to watch other guests, but it is what it is.

This sounds like that blue store down the road from me. My store doesn't have SCO and I've had guest tell me they come here because of that.

What do guests have so much against using the self check outs? I prefer them over the normal registers. Do people come to Target just to talk to the cashier? Are people so snobbish that they feel scanning their own items is beneath them? Or do they just feel intimidated by them?

Last edited:
What do guests have so much against using the self check outs? I prefer them over the normal registers. Do people come to Target just to talk to the cashier? Are people so snobbish that they feel scanning their own items is beneath them? Or do they just feel intimidated by them?
There is a stigma that self checkout is “stealing people’s jobs” and that makes ppl not want to use it plus sometimes it really is easier just to go to a regular register. I don’t blame some people for not wanting to use SCO especially if that’s their only option and they’re not given a choice. I like SCO myself though

I go through self checkout every time at every store that offers it. Including the self service kiosks at McDonald’s lol. It’s just faster and more accurate if I do it myself. The only time i don’t is if i have enough stuff to warrant using a cart. I am very anti carts in SCO. And the majority of the time when I order my food through a person they always put it in the system wrong so I primarily order food through the place’s app and then pick it up. I don’t know why people are so anti-technology.

Unless you give me a discount for checking myself out, you do it. You sell things, the least you can do is total it up.

I just ring them up at SCO. It's a bit more difficult for me when they don't move the cart enough out of the way, but at least I can keep an eye in the other lanes. Our SCO is busier in the morning than the full service ones anyway.
The guests in question will not get anywhere near an SCO, even if I offer to ring them up myself. They will only check out at a regular register. I could see if they were using a check, which SCO can't do. But this is almost never the case.

No matter what, guests will find a way to complain about SCO. If there is a line greater than 1 at the open registers, we have guests who will use SCO and then go to the service desk to complain that they HAD to check themselves out and we should have enough cashiers so they don't HAVE to do that. Waiting in line for a cashier to finish checking someone else out is not an option. We're forcing them to use SCO.

I don't get it. Every other retail store I go into typically has lines at the registers. Having to wait in line seems like a generally understood and tolerated, if reluctantly, part of shopping in a store. I'm not typically anywhere near the desk for extended periods of time, but I hear the same complaint almost every shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back