Archived Help! i need to come up with an AAR contest.. any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
each tl has to hold a AAR contest to try and drive AAR results. i am supposed to start next week and have no clue what to do.. the last aar contest was ..
for everyone who had green results for the week they got free lunch at food ave...
everyone for the month is added into a draw to see who gets to put a pie in the face of their chosen tl

blah i am bad at contests of this kind.

Been lurking here for a while, finally got an account just to answer your question:

Don't know exactly what AAR is, but as a cashier, my store frequently offers incentives to signing guests up for REDCards. Here's a tip: TANGIBLE REWARDS. TANGIBLE REWARDS. WE ALL LOVE TANGIBLE REWARDS.

Yes, if a guest doesn't want a card, there's not much we can do as cashiers other than be annoying and pushy. But if my GSTL waves a free tshirt in my face, or a premium movie ticket, well...I work harder, because man, free premium movie tickets!

Sometimes they offer us free Starbucks, but...ehh. Starbucks is inexpensive, as is Food Ave., and we all know this. Even though a tshirt doesn't cost Target much, it just feels nicer, in my opinion. Like getting a wrapped Christmas present instead of a gift card, even if the gift card may be worth more.

The pie thing, meh. I don't want to see my TL's with pie all over their face. I like all of my TL's, and even if I didn't, it's childish and pointless. I want actual, real STUFF, you know?

Sorry to babble on, this is just my first post and it's pretty cool to finally be registered!

$5 DVDs? Item(s) of your choice from One Spot? I'm just ripping off some of the RedCard rewards front end does from time to time at my store. Which like what RedBoy says, stuff you can hold in your hands (and use) and didn't have to spend your own money on is pretty nice.

Been lurking here for a while, finally got an account just to answer your question:

Don't know exactly what AAR is, but as a cashier, my store frequently offers incentives to signing guests up for REDCards. Here's a tip: TANGIBLE REWARDS. TANGIBLE REWARDS. WE ALL LOVE TANGIBLE REWARDS.

Yes, if a guest doesn't want a card, there's not much we can do as cashiers other than be annoying and pushy. But if my GSTL waves a free tshirt in my face, or a premium movie ticket, well...I work harder, because man, free premium movie tickets!

Sometimes they offer us free Starbucks, but...ehh. Starbucks is inexpensive, as is Food Ave., and we all know this. Even though a tshirt doesn't cost Target much, it just feels nicer, in my opinion. Like getting a wrapped Christmas present instead of a gift card, even if the gift card may be worth more.

The pie thing, meh. I don't want to see my TL's with pie all over their face. I like all of my TL's, and even if I didn't, it's childish and pointless. I want actual, real STUFF, you know?

Sorry to babble on, this is just my first post and it's pretty cool to finally be registered!

Free T-shirts rock because that's one more day I don't have to do laundry and if your store's anything like mine, the "pie a TL" thing either happens on a day you're not there or somehow never happens and nobody brings it up.

A free DVD is tangible, movie tickets are not. You watch the movie once, and then it's done. Personally I say do your job because it's your job. I don't work harder because there's some bullshit prize as an incentive.

I don't see how people struggle with AAR.. my store has its own goal of 80%.. I expect nothing less. My store is in a low income area as well. (We're nick named Targhetto.....) training is the best way to drive them and coachings for under preforming team members.
As far as incentives it's hard because you shouldn't have to give someone something big for simply doing their job. If anything maybe buy two pack of movie tickets and do a bi weekly contest...

A free DVD is tangible, movie tickets are not. You watch the movie once, and then it's done. Personally I say do your job because it's your job. I don't work harder because there's some bullshit prize as an incentive.

I agree with you. I am not a big fan of being rewarded for being a decent cashier, which is why I decline the Starbucks and so on that they sometimes offer to requisition for me after they hear guests complimenting my service.

Having said that, I really don't like having to pedal debit/credit cards for a company. Yes, it's in my job description, and they warned me about it during my interviews, so I don't feel like they're cheating me or anything, but when guests are clearly struggling financially and I still have to push it on them as my LOD/GSTL walks by, I feel like a jerk. Being offered some free stuff is a nice way to temporarily distract me from the crummy part of my job that I have to do, and it's just exciting to win things sometimes!

A movie ticket is exciting to me simply because a single movie costs around $16 here, so I'm basically winning a $16 prize for selling a few REDCards (which I already do, anyways). I don't need the tickets to get me to do my job, but they make doing my job feel more rewarding.

while i think its silly to give things away i know that it works. thats pretty much how target operates.. i was hoping for some creative ideas beides giving stuff away lol.

Try to ask a few team members what motivates them as prizes. Not everyone is a coffee drinker so I would avoid Starbucks and I've never seen anyone excited by getting free Food Ave. Two things I've seen people really enjoy are when we offer to get lunch for the winner from somewhere nearby (most of us work in shopping centers so I feel like this is doable anywhere) or a free dvd or their choice (you can always have a price limit if your store is feeling stingy). I know our team members have been under lots of stress lately so I enjoy being able to reward them with something extra to recognize a job well done.

just toss shit into guest shopping baskets, they will buy it.

Our hardlines TL does monthly prizes between the few of us that work in electronics. Whoever has the highest AAR rate for the month gets a $10 gift card. Most of the time it's to food places like chipotle, applebees, or other random places. However we have rules such as the AAR has to be at least 80% minimum.
When talking to your associates about getting AAR try being innovative in ways to get them to talk guests into getting attachments.

Boy do I feel you on this one. We are past the point of contests and down to observation and holding people accountable. Every once in a while, I'll reward my team with some gift cards or something like that, or I'll bring them food (they're all guys, they like my cooking too :p). Yet it's been a while since we have been consistently green. Some weeks I get a crap ton of traffic and people who want to spend money and then we had a week where seriously I had 2 people in my department during my entire shift.

This coming month, my contest is going to be more of a challenge to our ETLs. To the person with the highest AAR. I asked what they wanted and they said winner gets bragging rights and recognition for a week and loser has to do a shift in electronics and one cashiering. For us that's awesome.

Make a bingo grid with a product and accessory listed in each box. Then make one sheet for every Electronics TM. When the TM sells one of the combinations listed in the box, they can mark it off. First TM to complete their sheet wins a prize. Drives AAR annnnnd product knowledge, provided you put a variety of AAR driving combinations in the boxes.

Gosh we've done so many. We did Bingo, we did puzzles (you pull a puzzle piece for every attachment and once the puzzle is gone whoever has the most pieces wins), etc. We finally all got tired of it so now it's just idle threats of coachings and such.

Make a bingo grid with a product and accessory listed in each box. Then make one sheet for every Electronics TM. When the TM sells one of the combinations listed in the box, they can mark it off. First TM to complete their sheet wins a prize. Drives AAR annnnnd product knowledge, provided you put a variety of AAR driving combinations in the boxes.
I really like this Idea .. im going to try it out.. i love the other ideas too , the puzzle idea is neat!

We did a Harry Potter contest, we divided all of Guest Services into the 4 houses, each GSTL/GSA was in charge of a house, and everyone who got a REDCard got a point for their house ;) lol. The other GSA was a bit of a harry potter freak :)

I'm loving this.
Was there a sorting hat?
Also picturing Quidditch using Waves.

This is why I don't like prizes for REDcards. First...I hate coming up with new crap to do...and second, the implementation always gets dropped somewhere and it just lowers morale when some people get screwed.

Honestly, I'm paid crap wages to shove the REDcard down our guests' throats until they either bite or choke...whichever...the ETLs aren't picky on that. So I do it. I don't decide one day not to do it because they aren't offering me something beyond my paycheck and a chance not to be threatened with my job for having an off week. If I stop doing it because they aren't running some contest, that means the underlying culture is a problem, and needs to be fixed individually. I'm not saying we shouldn't reward top performers...we need to do that and recognize people's accomplishments for bringing in more money for the shareholders.

But at the end of the day, we need to give consistent recognition and feedback and not have to resort to the games simply to get people to do their job. Otherwise you create a culture of greediness and, "I did my job, so where's my prize?" And "oh, I don't want that prize, what else do you have?" That comes along with pretending that maintaining their core roles is something to be celebrated on a constant basis.

We did a Harry Potter contest, we divided all of Guest Services into the 4 houses, each GSTL/GSA was in charge of a house, and everyone who got a REDCard got a point for their house ;) lol. The other GSA was a bit of a harry potter freak :)

I'm loving this.
Was there a sorting hat?
Also picturing Quidditch using Waves.

That would be Awesome. probably get the whole store written up for safety though :-(

In the past before my time we had a contest where the tm with the best aar for a month got to write thier own schedule for a week. The team loved the contest. Also in the past I have made an awesome gift basket with all kinds of goodies and had it displayed in tsc for the duration of the contest. A constant reminder of what they could win.

My store always does stuff.for the season. Starting in a few months will be "snowman bucks" and each prize has different costs. It was everything from an extended break, to choosing your schedule for a week. Our store is full of college kids so free lunch/Starbucks works.

In the past before my time we had a contest where the tm with the best aar for a month got to write thier own schedule for a week. The team loved the contest. Also in the past I have made an awesome gift basket with all kinds of goodies and had it displayed in tsc for the duration of the contest. A constant reminder of what they could win.
This is amazing! STL (possibly DTL) would have to be on board though. It would still work for MyTime I think; afaik you can still do edits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back