Archived Help me explain this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I'm sure Spot has a nickel, maybe a dime raise they will throw at them.

Woot.

Dug the battleship out today. It seemed to help a bit. I'm thinking one of the newbies is going to be more of a backer paper/pusher/cleaner for awhile.

Not that hard. Baby headlines is the easiest to zone, the only thing that makes it tough is that there is far more inventory and far more teeny hiding spaces for the guest who changed his mind about the cell phone cover. Same with backstock, in fact it's nice that I can send back what doesn't fit in the designated spot instead of having to cram 30 dresses on one arm. A bicycle can't be too hard to figure out if there's instructions. I buy "put it together yourself" furniture whenever I need something at home, pull out the toolbag, and half an hour later I've got a 7 foot cat tree or 6 foot entertainment center or whatever, so I'm sure I could build a bike no problem.
The point was that no one wants to work multiple work centers and when they do end up having to do so they work at such a pace that they might as well not be here at all.

The point was that no one wants to work multiple work centers and when they do end up having to do so they work at such a pace that they might as well not be here at all.
I work in 3 and I love it. I enjoy knowing how to do a lot of processes and that my team mates can come to me for help when a TL isn't available.

We don't have a
I work in 3 and I love it. I enjoy knowing how to do a lot of processes and that my team mates can come to me for help when a TL isn't available.

I one hundred percent appreciate TMs like that but in my experience it isn't a common thing to find team members willing to learn new work centers. They just want their hours and to go home. And then complain about their hours when they are afraid/complacent about cross training. I get it if it's your first job. That's all sweet, but this job is easier than some of your high school classes. =P Let's be real. I sweat enough in a week to maybe equal my sweat in phys ed back in school days and I'm far from lazy. heh...it's just that maybe one hour a day is actual hustle and bustle...two if it's crazy and the rest is lackluster, menial work that literally takes no brain power to do after a while of learning the store.

We don't have a

I one hundred percent appreciate TMs like that but in my experience it isn't a common thing to find team members willing to learn new work centers. They just want their hours and to go home. And then complain about their hours when they are afraid/complacent about cross training.
You just described half of the people in my main work center. I've been at Spot 10 years. A few years in I was adamant about working in just my one work center. It got boring. I've tried changing work centers several times and they wouldn't let me. One ETL just started scheduling me for some of their work centers one day and oila. The only way I can get out my primary work center is death or leaving.

We don't have a

I one hundred percent appreciate TMs like that but in my experience it isn't a common thing to find team members willing to learn new work centers. They just want their hours and to go home. And then complain about their hours when they are afraid/complacent about cross training. I get it if it's your first job. That's all sweet, but this job is easier than some of your high school classes. =P Let's be real. I sweat enough in a week to maybe equal my sweat in phys ed back in school days and I'm far from lazy. heh...it's just that maybe one hour a day is actual hustle and bustle...two if it's crazy and the rest is lackluster, menial work that literally takes no brain power to do after a while of learning the store.

Quoting myself but a good team member can point a guest to mayo and peanut butter, picture frames and lamp shades, shower hooks and accessories, blenders and toaster, cosmetics and band aids, diapers and baby formula etc etc. with no issue after two months working there unless they have the memory of a pothead. xD jokes of course...no hate

You just described half of the people in my main work center. I've been at Spot 10 years. A few years in I was adamant about working in just my one work center. It got boring. I've tried changing work centers several times and they wouldn't let me. One ETL just started scheduling me for some of their work centers one day and oila. The only way I can get out my primary work center is death or leaving.
Keep asking other people besides that one ETL. I have convinced almost every TL and ETL in my store (except one sadly) that I am willing to work my ass off if you give me the hours. Huge change lately because of that. Also regular TLs become Senior TLs made a huge difference in how I am utilized and how efficient things have become. Wooo I love my store lately despite my worries previously. Sadly there are a few TMs that think of me as a teachers pet. All I wanna do is secure a spot for me in the future and not work 20 hours a week. So fuck me, right?

Keep asking other people besides that one ETL. I have convinced almost every TL and ETL in my store (except one sadly) that I am willing to work my ass off if you give me the hours. Huge change lately because of that. Also regular TLs become Senior TLs made a huge difference in how I am utilized and how efficient things have become. Wooo I love my store lately despite my worries previously.
I've asked my ETLs, I've had several, hr, etc. I gave up and I'm fine with where I'm at right now.

I've asked my ETLs, I've had several, hr, etc. I gave up and I'm fine with where I'm at right now.
Don't ask once. I had to ask twice a month and they always need someone to fill in so if theres a shift up on the shift board, ask if you can be quickly trained in it and say you'll do your best. Worst case scenario, you cared enough to ask for more work and they may consider it at another time, best case is you get some training in and your foot in the door.

Edit: I keep editing my posts tonight but-- Do not give up if a leader is not available. It is their job to be available to a TM concerned about making enough to actually be able to keep coming in. If you can't afford rent, you can't afford to wash your clothes and transportation to work. They need to at least know. Even if you can afford it, you have other priorities in life and you shouldn't be treated like a pawn even though you essentially are in the grand scheme. Don't be hostile but do express how much you want to know more, often but not often enough to be annoying. That's at your own discretion of course.

Last edited:
Don't ask once. I had to ask twice a month and they always need someone to fill in so if theres a shift up on the shift board, ask if you can be quickly trained in it and say you'll do your best. Worst case scenario, you cared enough to ask for more work and they may consider it at another time, best case is you get some training in and your foot in the door.

Edit: I keep editing my posts tonight but-- Do not give up if a leader is not available. It is their job to be available to a TM concerned about making enough to actually be able to keep coming in. If you can't afford rent, you can't afford to wash your clothes and transportation to work. They need to at least know. Even if you can afford it, you have other priorities in life and you shouldn't be treated like a pawn even though you essentially are in the grand scheme.
I'm trained in every area but food and softlines, which is fine because neither I want to work in and also those areas are fully staffed because of e2e. Flow, backroom, pricing, and presentation barely have hours for their own people. I wouldn't mind a regular hardlines shift but the TLs eat up those hours.

I'm trained in every area but food and softlines, which is fine because neither I want to work in and also those areas are fully staffed because of e2e. Flow, backroom, pricing, and presentation barley have hours for their own people. I wouldn't mind a regular hardlines shift but the TLs eat up those hours.
wow you sound like me, props! regular hardlines shifts that arent on a weekend are my favorites..I love setting planos and guest servicing and a few backup cashier moments dont fluster me. xD honestly...to be 100% fair...fuck the food industry. Lol retail is way easier when it comes to satisfying bosses AND customers/guests. Ask every guest that looks confused if they need help...you end up with a ton of people that want to talk to you when you're working and a huge name recognition at your store. Got people who come in asking for me when I'm not even in the work center that they are shopping in. It's a good feeling. Oh lmao humble brag sorry edit for the humility.

Last edited:
Numbers should go in increasing order. That's it. Start at the front of the aisle (at the race track). Are the position numbers ascending? The answer should be YES.

Numbers should go in increasing order. That's it. Start at the front of the aisle (at the race track). Are the position numbers ascending? The answer should be YES.
Tell that to the signing team that likes to set aisles backward sometimes. I get it, we set it wrong...so let's fix it instead of cramming information into new flow tms heads about how 99.9% of the aisles in this store are this way but these 5 random aisles that were set wrong (all in different areas of the store) and never re-set are different and some are even set right half way through and backward the rest. 1-2-3 2-2-3 3-3-3 || 6-3-3 5-3-3 4-3-3 GJ presentation! Totally makes sense. Bet if a DTL (or w/e they're called) as they took a walk-- took a hard look at some aisles there would be more scrutiny in the reports we get.

Tell that to the signing team that likes to set aisles backward sometimes. I get it, we set it wrong...so let's fix it instead of cramming information into new flow tms heads about how 99.9% of the aisles in this store are this way but these 5 random aisles that were set wrong (all in different areas of the store) and never re-set are different and some are even set right half way through and backward the rest. 1-2-3 2-2-3 3-3-3 || 6-3-3 5-3-3 4-3-3 GJ presentation! Totally makes sense. Bet if a DTL (or w/e they're called) as they took a walk-- took a hard look at some aisles there would be more scrutiny in the reports we get.

I can't speak for other stores, but at mine there are a handful of pogs that specifically call to be set opposite of what the aisle would normally dictate. We have a paper pog that specifies Charmin must be closest to the main aisle so that has to be set as a reverse pog even though it is on a wall. And a few market pogs are in reverse aisles but are set standard starting from the back of the aisle because that's what the pog calls for.

But we also have a Plano tm we can't give reverse aisles to because she always fucks up the pegs, setting each section in the correct spot but the pegs are set standard everytime so each section's pegs go the wrong way.

I can't speak for other stores, but at mine there are a handful of pogs that specifically call to be set opposite of what the aisle would normally dictate. We have a paper pog that specifies Charmin must be closest to the main aisle so that has to be set as a reverse pog even though it is on a wall. And a few market pogs are in reverse aisles but are set standard starting from the back of the aisle because that's what the pog calls for.

But we also have a Plano tm we can't give reverse aisles to because she always fucks up the pegs, setting each section in the correct spot but the pegs are set standard everytime so each section's pegs go the wrong way.

Haha, fun insight on your team. Don't get me wrong, though. I respect the presentation team at my store. I see what they really do behind the scenes because I partner with them almost every week for certain things and I would dread doing what they do unless it was my only job. That is a handful. Not to mention the hurricane that is the signing room and oh where is that shipper that came in last week? Who knows? Nightmares, I tell ya. I respect them more than most.

Also, why set aisles backward if it will confuse people? Rhetorical question. I know it's just how things are given to the team.

But not to mention some aisles that are set one way and half way through it changes...also wow @ cosmetics...I mean if you work over there often you get it, but otherwise....wow. I have just enough knowledge of that area to navigate slowly but to anyone new it is DAUNTING. Capital letters all required.

Last edited:
We are training sales floor team members presentation for the last few weeks. I am clearly not getting through to a few team members on how to set a reverse POG. Can someone please give me an easy way to explain it, so a 5 year old can understand it?

I am a POG team member, until recently I did all of the softlines POGs and adjacencies. When that work was slow and hardlines had work I would set hardlines. This meant that I would set reverse, which is only challenging when setting pegs & not shelves, VERY infrequently. The way it was explained to me that really cemented the understanding of how to set reverse was that in Standard/Reverse 1-P1 should be in the first position closest to the main aisle. Say you first peg in a Reverse POG in Section 1 is 25 up and D horizontally you set that and then follow along moving right to left in Reverse instead of left to right as you would in Standard.

Just my 2 cents...if it is a matter of the concept "clicking" in practice...this is my go-to process for training that covers all learning styles to maximize your ability to correctly predict whether they are gonna get it eventually or never ever gonna get it.

i. Go over any new terminology/devices that apply to the task briefly (literally show them where to find them, name them, and explain it's basic use)
ii. Explain the entire process (include what you need to do/gather to prep before the actual task, and how to clean up after yourself. Treat the task as an entire process every time so that there aren't any gaps in training. I was trained on SL price change and never learned where to get the darn printer/extra tape/etc nor how to completely take care of salvage) It's handy to have an outline of this process typed up all neat and organized for them to read along to if that's their bag.
iii. Have them tell it back to you. Not verbatim, make them say it in their own words.
iv. Have them watch while you perform the entire task, start to finish...including that prep and follow-through/clean-up
v. Now, have them perform the entire task, start to finish...have that typed-up outline in front of them and one for you. Check off each box when they've performed it correctly. If they make minor errors, make a note to go over after. Only stop to correct them if the error breaks best practices/guidelines. Yeah, they'll be rattled sometimes. But breath down their neck...while letting them know that mistakes are still expected at this point.
vi. Go over the outline and notes you made.
vii. After each of these steps, confirm they're engaged by asking if they have any comments/concerns/questions. End the training session by prompting them that the next step will happen.
viii. During their next shift, assign them to the task to be completed without you. When they are finished, go audit the task by running through the entire outline again (the one with your notes) and make sure the task was done completely. Make more notes if necessary. Don't audit in front of them (it helps me be less easy on them in my case)
ix. After your audit, have a quick talk about how they did. Ask specific questions to get to the bottom of any issues they're encountering. You should know by this point if they're willing and able to do the task correctly every time.

I know this seems really overly-comprehensive to some. Or maybe you're thinking "who the hell has the time or resources to do this?!"...and I get it. But it really covers all the bases and if you do it every time as a trainer, you'll be able to have consistent results quickly.

Notes: Try to let go of other stressors before training. You don't want someone newish to a task worrying about how their trainer is acting crappy and maybe they're the reason? Also, again, this might not have been what you're looking for...I can't explain the reverse pog thing at all...but I always like to help a fellow trainer out if I can.

So, I don't know if this helps.... Our POG team at my store uses the phrase "right reverse".

This means, if the POG is on the right aisle (Right to Left) set REVERSE.

I go one step further to help myself remember and use "Right Red Reverse". This is because the color on the label strip for reverse is red where the POG number is written.

Hope that helps a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back