HELP!! Remodel team lead offer

Remodel TL is a position that requires a good working knowledge of most Target processes, both by the book and in actual practice, which in some stores can vary greatly. It would be extremely difficult if not impossible to be successful as a Remodel TL without a good deal of prior Target experience, particularly since training at Spot can be extremely poor and spotty at the best of times, and learning as you go during a remodel could be a recipe for disaster. Generally stores want the most qualified and experienced people possible to lead them through the snake pit that is remodel, so why would this store want to interview outside the company for this position unless not one person in the district was willing to take on the challenge? Since a successful stint as a Remodel TL can fast track a promotion, why would no one want it? Does this store have issues that insiders know about beyond just a remodel? Just a few things to think about. Personally, I would decline, but good luck to you either way.😁

I don’t want this to come off mean or anything but a fresh outside TL should not take on the mantle of remodel TL. It’s a position you ought to have prior knowledge of some things. Additionally, you’ll have trouble advocating for the store and it’s abilities to accommodate or not accommodate things if you don’t know much about target.

I would also like to add that their is different types of remodels. You have small go backs, flex remodels where they expand or implement fulfillment solutions, full remodels, and a category that I think is important to distinguish; full polish concrete remodels (every single gondola is touched and your underlayment will determine the difficulty each sequence will be).

This year I did a full polish concrete remodel in a $85+ million dollar store. You really can’t be a new leader doing that. I had to call upon my prior logistics knowledge when planning as it’s still a live store and they must continue to take freight. Not only that the store has ship from store and OPU. Moving aisles in a specific manner and temping solutions so that they’re still shopable and can be located isn’t something that their is a blueprint for. I was able to know when to push back because of my history. For example they may want to do something that will effect the overnight process a great deal but didn’t give you the right amount of time to plan it. You may think it’s fine if you don’t know better but I know of that process so I pushed back understanding that you can’t willingly affect the overnight process taking in triples without planning.

For remodel TL or ETL I think you should have knowledge of:

- Dealing with vendors
- Running a target team (remodel team members need to be elite and great at executing. Coming out of my remodel three from my team was promoted)
- Planograms
- Strategizing
- Backroom processes (depending on your scope)
- Store daily process (need to understand how to minimize disruption)
- Effective communication
- Signing
- Fixture knowledge
- Merchandising skills (you’ll be tempting out things a lot and they won’t tell you how)
- Not afraid to walk visits because they’ll be there frequently

The best route is to do a New Store Opening then take on a remodel role. I wouldn’t suggest it being your first role. Hey if it’s a small go back and they have an ETL or something running it and they add a fresh leader it may help you to learn really really really fast but I still would avoid that. If it’s polish concrete do not even attempt.
My second remodel was a complete rebuild of a 100m+ store including a building addition, freezers and fridges on both the back and the floor, all new crete and walls etc. We flipped every single thing in the store except for the actual gondolas.

It was hands down the most difficult experience of my career - right now I have 27 project teams I support and it's a breeze compared to that nightmare of a remodel.

My second remodel was a complete rebuild of a 100m+ store including a building addition, freezers and fridges on both the back and the floor, all new crete and walls etc. We flipped every single thing in the store except for the actual gondolas.

It was hands down the most difficult experience of my career - right now I have 27 project teams I support and it's a breeze compared to that nightmare of a remodel.
Same I did a triple A everything from carpet, concrete ,stencil , hvac to new high wall gondolas moving all gondolas , beauty, took checklanes out added self checkout, new opu room , etls offices , lazy river lights , Mickey Mouse lights , additional entrances for drive up etc . I did not have an etl but I became one after my remodel.

Same I did a triple A everything from carpet, concrete ,stencil , hvac to new high wall gondolas moving all gondolas , beauty, took checklanes out added self checkout, new opu room , etls offices , lazy river lights , Mickey Mouse lights , additional entrances for drive up etc . I did not have an etl but I became one after my remodel.
It boggles my mind to hear that this happened… I cannot understand the logic (or the lack) of asking a 40 hour a week TL to handle the task that is dealing with a remodel. Congrats on the well deserved promotion, though.

To the OP - I share the sentiment of not going for this role. As a Overnight Remodel TL (with a dayside ETL only), I cannot imagine putting someone through what I went through in 8 weeks. If you don’t know how Target operates when it comes to planograms, presentation expectations, general sales floor operations, it is not for you.

The only way it would make sense is if you had a peer to work alongside you. I’ve seen remodels with 2 TLs working the same shift, but I know that was some time ago. As you can see by others, having an ETL is apparently a luxury now.

Lol all of us that went through nightmares are in full force. I didn’t even touch on having temp coolers for pfresh while that’s under construction (sorry for bringing back up horror moments to my peers here)

Those of us that went through this are on the same page. Run for the hills if this is your first leadership role. The fact that they’re even considering external is baffling.

Lol all of us that went through nightmares are in full force. I didn’t even touch on having temp coolers for pfresh while that’s under construction (sorry for bringing back up horror moments to my peers here)

Those of us that went through this are on the same page. Run for the hills if this is your first leadership role. The fact that they’re even considering external is baffling.
Bruh temp coolers whyyyy.

I had a remodel where we had temp coolers - and had to move everything in one night. I blew a ton of payroll to make it happen and came in the next night to find out some contractor blew the electric and the store lost everything.

Back