Archived Hire more people and dont run them out and fire them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Target has the worst turnover rate EVER. They pay minimum wage and put the most pressure on those making minimum wage until they can't take it anymore and get the hell out. In the mean time, leaders are pressured to "coach out" or catch the bad apples do bad things enough times to lead to firing.

Keep the freaking employees you have Target and get more and stop making them quit. You struggle and struggle and struggle until people can't take it anymore.

Hire more employees so you can present the strore you are known for and want to be.

Don't put the burden on your leaders to stay until 4am doing final touch ups to impress the STL.

Target has the worst turnover rate EVER. They pay minimum wage and put the most pressure on those making minimum wage until they can't take it anymore and get the hell out. In the mean time, leaders are pressured to "coach out" or catch the bad apples do bad things enough times to lead to firing.

Keep the freaking employees you have Target and get more and stop making them quit. You struggle and struggle and struggle until people can't take it anymore.

Hire more employees so you can present the strore you are known for and want to be.

Don't put the burden on your leaders to stay until 4am doing final touch ups to impress the STL.

You know, I'm starting to think you don't like Target very much.

I liked it at one point.

When I worked there I pledged allegiance to red and khaki day and night.

Last edited:

You know, I'm starting to think you don't like Target very much.
It couldn't be the 4 threads EDIT:she's started recently could it?

Last edited:
I don't agree with the whole . putting the burden on the leaders. If the leaders actually treating people right and didn't run the store like its a high school then I might would feel sorry for them. They get paid a hell of a lot more than I do...

I liked it at one point.

When I worked there I pledged allegiance to red and khaki day and night.

Creepy-Condescending-Wonka

Tell me what went wrong.

Way too long of a story that I'd rather not share.
I take pride in every job I have and I drank the kool-aid hard. Just brushed the horrible things under the rug when I worked there and strove only for my own success.
Personal things led me out.

But now I feel free to talk about all the shit that goes on there.

Sounds to me as if you have an axe to grind. I'm not suggesting that you can't grind it here, but you may not find a lot of sympathy. Lots of us actually like Target.

I loved Target and they didn't do me wrong on a personal level. The same complaints that I air here are the same complaints I heard from my team members through the years. Most eye opening was leading the front end and knowing how I was expected to coach out low performing (aka non-redcard getting) team members, as if we would be able to replace them with red-card getters. They wanted me to fire people whereas I should have been the one being coached on how to coach these low performing team members to do well.

As a leader on the Front End, I performance TMs out. But it's after I give them the tools to succeed and the time to improve their skill set. The ones who don't or can't find other jobs. Why should we keep TMs who don't want to succeed? This isn't a charity, it's a business.
If my ETL had to tell me who to performance out, I'd have been performanced out long ago. That's my job.

Hmm, so your store ran like shit. Please tell me all about how every store at Target is the exact same and use as many sweeping generalizations as possible.

Hmm, so your store ran like shit. Please tell me all about how every store at Target is the exact same and use as many sweeping generalizations as possible.

Sounds like youre making a generalization about my store. Cashiers need very little skill. They make minimum wage for christs sake.

But truth be told very few cashiers at my store deserved to be performanced out. They all did their work just fine. Maybe they didn't smile. Maybe they didn't make small talk. Maybe they double bagged every order. Maybe they didn't get redcards. They are cashiers and not salesmen.

As a leader on the Front End, I performance TMs out. But it's after I give them the tools to succeed and the time to improve their skill set. The ones who don't or can't find other jobs. Why should we keep TMs who don't want to succeed? This isn't a charity, it's a business.
If my ETL had to tell me who to performance out, I'd have been performanced out long ago. That's my job.
You sound just like me. Maybe the difference is the caliber of cashiers we had. Cashiers at one store can be a galaxy away from another.

Sounds like youre making a generalization about my store. Cashiers need very little skill. They make minimum wage for christs sake.

But truth be told very few cashiers at my store deserved to be performanced out. They all did their work just fine. Maybe they didn't smile. Maybe they didn't make small talk. Maybe they double bagged every order. Maybe they didn't get redcards. They are cashiers and not salesmen.

How is what you described different from a self-checkout machine? Sounds like bad cashiers to me.

My store is great, AFAIK.

I'm going into my 5th month.

the cashiers you describe are not doing their job. their job is to provide each and every guest with amazing guest service which down to basics means they should be smiling at every guest and talking to them. It's also in their core roles to be talking to guests about the redcard.

Except it IS their job to smile and make small talk and drive conversion. I often tell cashiers that their job is one of the hardest in the store because they are responsible for making certain that everyone has a great experience in our store. I don't think you understand what the core roles of a cashier are.

Except it IS their job to smile and make small talk and drive conversion. I often tell cashiers that their job is one of the hardest in the store because they are responsible for making certain that everyone has a great experience in our store. I don't think you understand what the core roles of a cashier are.

I'd say guest service cashiers have the hardest job. Or at least the hardest job that involves making sure everyone's happy. All the scammers, the people with the poorest attitudes, and the people most likely to throw a temper tantrum will show up at guest services.

In the mean time, leaders are pressured to "coach out" or catch the bad apples do bad things enough times to lead to firing.

I wish they did it more to be frank. Competent colleagues makes ones job so much easier. Imagine everyone doing their job, effectively, and you not needing to pick up the slack. Sounds amazing.

People are a dime a dozen, if a store has few employees in a given department it's usually because payroll says they should have so few, not because they can't find appropriate people to fill those openings. My store rejects a huge percentage of its applicants.

Most eye opening was leading the front end and knowing how I was expected to coach out low performing (aka non-redcard getting) team members, as if we would be able to replace them with red-card getters. They wanted me to fire people whereas I should have been the one being coached on how to coach these low performing team members to do well.

I partly agree. If a TM is trying and failing perhaps they aren't being given the proper equipment needed to succeed. But on the flipside, while you can teach people how to do their job better, you can't force them to care or work hard. That in my experience is more oft the issue. It's not that the GSTL hasn't shown the cashiers what to say, or how to say it, it's that the cashier thinks asking everyone is tedious and tiresome so refuses to do it.

Coaching the GSTL is useless in such a situation, they can lead the horse (cashier) to water, but they can't make the horse drink. Quite often the solution is merely to find a more malleable horse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back